The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-15-2015 10:29 AM
62 123
tools
    Hi i live in Sweden and currently own a Lumia 920, but its getting old and its soon time to change..
    So my options are get a android phone or wait until Windows 10 and get a new flag ship phone then, but i don't know if i want to support Microsoft anymore when they can't be bothers to enable all features for Swedish customers..

I don't care about Cortana, but what i do care about is the swype like keyboard (i can't really see the problem with enabling it for all keyboard layouts???)
    and the "Quiet hours" function would be nice..

So are there any workarounds to get those functions or should i just give up on MS? (Note i'm normally a MS Fanboy but i don't know if its wise to be one when they don't give a dam about smaller countries).
    CGA111 and prasath1234 like this.
    05-04-2015 02:42 AM
    Set your phone to US region
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-04-2015 03:48 AM
    Last time i did that i lost the capability to call my Swedish numbers, im not 100% sure but i think it appended the wrong country code to my phone numbers..

Edit: or it might have been that the number detection failed, so when my contact's called me i did not get their name and picture..
    05-04-2015 03:53 AM
    Quiet Hours is "hard wired" to Cortana so to use Quiet Hours you need Cortana.
    So to use Quiet Hours you need to activate Cortana. You can change your settings to several regions.
    See also http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-3fde582aecd4

Swipe is Hard Wired to the keyboard you use. See also http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/ho...e-availability
    So the only way is to use a keyboard which supports swipe (wordflow)

The country code "problem" you experienced can be solved by disabling in Settings > applications > phone > set "international assist" to OFF.

But in general I agree that fot many smaller countries/regions the support is far from optimal. I am Durch so no local Cortana but swipe is supported in my languages.
    05-04-2015 04:10 AM
    Thanks seems to work so far, to bad there is no workaround for the wordflow keyboard...
    05-04-2015 07:19 AM
    It's very annoying, that Quiet Hours is tied to Cortana, and Cortana is tied to location services. As far as I can see, there are no alternative 'quiet hours' apps in the store.

Perhaps if you set the phone to UK you'll achieve what you want.
    aximtreo and a5cent like this.
    05-04-2015 09:07 AM
    I set my phone to US and disabled "international assist" as Harrie-S suggested so far i haven't had any problems, but ms needs to stop locking stuff in if they want more windows phone users... i can't see any reason for not allowing "Quiet Hours" world wide and why the wordflow isn't enabled on all keyboards...
    05-04-2015 09:18 AM
    So just a heads up for any body else trying this, you get the US Date and time format in the calendar app even if you configured you phone to any thing else...
    i don't understand why the date/time format in the calendar app is based on region and not the format you told it to use...

Please up vote the following https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...s-8-1-calendar and https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...egional-format
    Last edited by Peter Andersson; 05-07-2015 at 06:33 AM.
    05-07-2015 01:17 AM
    Use UK rather than US as you can use dates the 'proper' way around ;)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-07-2015 01:51 AM
    Use UK rather than US as you can use dates the 'proper' way around ;)
    That's what I do.
    wp_ss_20150507_0001.png
    05-07-2015 02:02 AM
    I'm thinking of going to android as here in Ireland I cant even get Cortana. If I change to uk region I cant download any apps. There's very little features outside US and India. Untill Microsoft stop playing favouritism regarding features I may never move back to wp.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    05-07-2015 02:10 AM
    05-07-2015 02:12 AM
    That's what I do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20150507_0001.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	104140
    The regional format is set to "Swedish (Sweden)" but the calendar app still uses the Regional format based on the Country/Region.

Even if i change Regional format to UK i get the wrong date/time format, the funny thing is that other apps use the correct formats for example the alarm app uses the swedish format its just the calendar app that uses the wrong format...
    05-07-2015 02:53 AM
    Managed to fix the time format issue by following doing the following
    Hi!
    I got my phone fixed, I have English (US) as my prefered language and Finnish regional settings AND the 24-hour clock in my calender..
    I tried my own version from the tips on the msdn forum.
    1. Settings, language, change the order of the languages, native (finnish) first, than english(US) which I prefer. The phone is restarted.
    2. Check your calender and date and time settings, everything is ok (except the language).
    3. Go and change the prefered language back to be the first (english, US for me). The phone is restarted. Now all the times are AM/PM. Go to the date+time settings, there is now a setting for 24-hour clock!
    Note this text was copied from some other site but apparently im not allowed to post links...
    05-07-2015 03:15 AM
    So,

Phone Language = US English
    Country/Region = US English
    Region Format = Sweden

Getting the OS to respect the region format setting required you to switch the phone language to Swedish and then back again (bug?). Right?

You're sure that the device is using Swedish date/time throughout, and not reverting to US format, for example, on the lock screen?
    Last edited by a5cent; 05-07-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: formatting only
    05-07-2015 03:37 AM
    Instead of going through this much trouble you can always switch to Android and iOS.
    Unless
    You are WP fan
    Or
    Other OS situation is same as WP.

They are just OS. Simply use which one you find convenient.
    05-07-2015 03:50 AM
    As pointed out im a MS Fan and i like the OS this is one of the few issues that bugs me!!
    05-07-2015 04:20 AM
    So,

Phone Language = US English

Country/Region = US English

Region Format = Sweden

Getting the OS to respect the region format setting required you to switch the phone language to Swedish and then back again (bug?). Right?

You're sure that the device is using Swedish date/time throughout, and not reverting to US format, for example, on the lock screen?
    Yes if i use those settings every thing but the calendar app gets the right setting..
    a5cent likes this.
    05-07-2015 04:34 AM
    05-07-2015 05:18 AM
    Instead of going through this much trouble you can always switch to Android and iOS.
    Unless
    You are WP fan
    Or
    Other OS situation is same as WP.

They are just OS. Simply use which one you find convenient.
    Or... you know... OP could show support for the platform which would let Microsoft know that they should care about Sweden.
    Peter Andersson and a5cent like this.
    05-07-2015 06:03 AM
    Fellow Swede here, I for one am pretty fed up with Ms ignorance for small languages. On top of what you mentioned there's also the lack of native speech recognition in our language. Heck, I had that on Android three years ago. As much as I like wp I'm pretty sure I'm going Android when my 920 starts failing.
    05-07-2015 06:31 AM
    Or... you know... OP could show support for the platform which would let Microsoft know that they should care about Sweden.
    Horoscope 2025??????
    05-07-2015 04:26 PM
    Siri is in Danish (and probably in Swedish), android have Danish talk back... WP doesn't even make me add a word in the Danish dictionary + terrible app support (like viaplay and other native languages / regional apps). No wonder the market share is 2%....

And Nokia was even also from Scandinavia.
    CGA111 likes this.
    05-07-2015 06:01 PM
    Fellow Swede here, I for one am pretty fed up with Ms ignorance for small languages. On top of what you mentioned there's also the lack of native speech recognition in our language. Heck, I had that on Android three years ago. As much as I like wp I'm pretty sure I'm going Android when my 920 starts failing.
    I also own a Lumia 920, and it has worked great for me but i just want Wordflow and Quiet hours and to be honest i don't understand why both aren't enabled every where... why on earth would "Quiet hours" require Cortana? (i don't see the connection, i can understand that it would get more functions when you have Cortana but the basics should be there all the time?).
    And why isn't wordflow just enabled on all keyboards what more data than the dictionary and the keyboard layout do they need?
    05-08-2015 06:38 AM
    Canada is only a little over 100 miles north of them and we don't get much consideration either.
    05-08-2015 07:54 AM
62 123