Will I experience any problems forcing my Lumia 920 to update to Denim via developer preview?

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 running Denim via developer preview

Will I experience any problems on a Lumia 920 forcing it to update to Denim by using the developer preview? AT&T hasn't released the update yet.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920 running Denim via developer preview

Hi, Denim is a firmware update and you wont be able to 'force it' with the developer preview.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

What is this update then? After installing Developer Preview and then Checking For Updates in settings, this update appeared....It's going to force-install soon. I'm worried!
wp_ss_20150511_0001.png

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

It will be an OS update, you will be able to update to the latest OS version OS version8.10.14234.375 (After a series of separate updates).

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

You will still be on Cyan, although sometimes the about section reports it as denim (it is not though and there are numerous threads on here about it).
I'm not 100% sure what features you get, do you currently have live folders and Cortana?

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Well, the update is currently installing....we'll see what happens. Hopefully my battery life doesn't go to **** or anything like that

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I've never had any issues with developer preview on my phones (Lumia 930, 625 and HTC 8S).

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

The update finished and it still says Cyan..I guess no surprise there. It re-installed all my apps and everything. I went to check for updates again and it said there was one to download. I dismissed it because I don't want to get any more updates that might jeopardize my battery life or functionality. I unchecked the box for developer preview. Hopefully I won't get any constant notifications about downloading that update that I dismissed.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

It is a two part update, and the first download is really not going to work like it should without the second. and if you are afraid of the updates why did you sign up for the Developer preview?

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

It is a two part update, and the first download is really not going to work like it should without the second. and if you are afraid of the updates why did you sign up for the Developer preview?

lol because I thought I would get Denim and the ability to "call" Cortana through my car's bluetooth and give it commands. What will this update bring me if I do it fully? As long as it doesn't start installing WP10, I guess I'm fine...

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

lol because I thought I would get Denim and the ability to "call" Cortana through my car's bluetooth and give it commands. What will this update bring me if I do it fully? As long as it doesn't start installing WP10, I guess I'm fine...

I don't know if it will give you bluetooth control of Cortana I have not tried it, I did notice that it made the camera somewhat faster, and mine does say Denim. My 920 has been regulated to my backup phone so I really don't use it very much, but I do keep it updated. The Developer preview will not install WP 10, so no worries there, I have yet to get something bad from a download from microsoft on my 920, so install, have fun.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

You would need to be signed up to Windows Insider to download WP10.
Just having the developer preview will not download it.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
well I finished the update yesterday. It says I have Denim and it popped up a message about turning on location for the camera when I first opened the camera...making me believe something changed. I still don't have Cortana as a contact. I have a friend with a 1520 that says he can "call Cortana" through his bluetooth and cortana will answer and he can give it voice commands like "Open xxx app" without having to look at/touch the phone. Is this possible?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

The Bluetooth car control is an OS update not dependant on the Denim firmware. The latest OS version on Preview for Developers is 14219 also known as Update 1. If you are on it then your can invoke Cortana while driving without touching your phone when paired via Bluetooth. Depending on your car's audio controls one key is mapped to calling Cortana, especially the call button and this button mapping varies between cars. In my Camaro I'll press the call button and say call Cortana, then it'll dial 4444 and Cortana gets invoked.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

The Bluetooth car control is an OS update not dependant on the Denim firmware. The latest OS version on Preview for Developers is 14219 also known as Update 1. If you are on it then your can invoke Cortana while driving without touching your phone when paired via Bluetooth. Depending on your car's audio controls one key is mapped to calling Cortana, especially the call button and this button mapping varies between cars. In my Camaro I'll press the call button and say call Cortana, then it'll dial 4444 and Cortana gets invoked.

does "Cortana" show up as a contact in your contact list on the phone when not connected to bluetooth? I have a 2013 Mustang with Sync and the latest Sync update. I've tried pressing the voice button and saying "Call Cortana", then Sync will spout off a list of contacts starting with C that sound kind of like Cortana as if it misheard me.
I haven't tried it yet since the 8.10.14157.200 update, but I will try during lunch. I don't see how it would be any different this time though :(

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Nope Cortana does not show up as a contact in the people app but when connected to the car looks like it acts as an internal contact only used to invoke Cortana

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Pankaj, during lunch I will try this again. I'll probably un-sync the phone and delete it from the car and phone; then set up the bluetooth again and re-download all contacts to see if that works. I'll let you guys know what happens!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte