Text rendering bug issue in Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an issue with my two 830's since updating to GDR2 (from full Denim).

Text is randomly rendered in low resolution in certain apps. It's mostly obvious in new reading apps where there is a large amount of text. Some of the text appears to be rendered as expected, whereas some of the paragraphs are fuzzy and pixelated.

This issue is happening on both of my 830's, both updated from GDR1 Full Denim, one of the 830's has been hard reset and the issue still remains.

I have noticed the issue in the following apps:
NextGen Reader
Windows Central
ebay
Converge
Engadget
The MSN Apps (News, Health+Fitness...etc).

See attached for screenshots showing the issue in the Converge, NextGen Reader, and MSN News apps. All functioned without issues prior to the GDR1 update. View the screenshots at 100% to see the issue.

Untitled.png
View attachment 104348View attachment 104349View attachment 104350

Is anybody else having the same issue?

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I had that problem on my 930. Decided to go back to update1 because of that. I also had some sound problems- notifications were muted. At first, when I downloaded GDR2, everything was ok, but after some time bugs were showing up. I tought that text rendering problem was due GDR2 not optimised for full HD screens, but that seems not to be the case...

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Manage to test this on a Lumia 640 LTE today, which is running a slightly later software version (8.10.15127.138) than my 830's (8.10.15116.125). The text rendering bug is still there.

So it looks like it's an issue with GDR2 on all phones if it affects the 830, 930 and 640.

On further investigation it appears that the issue arises when there is a picture included in an article.

PToonen

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed this too on my Lumia 640 (non-XL) and it bothers me a lot since the screen is so crisp otherwise, and just about the right size for new articles. The further you scroll down, the more unpleasant it becomes to read, up to the point where it hurts your eyes. It also happens in large/ tall images, for instances long comics in Rudy's 9Gag app. A poor workaround is to adjust the zoom level a bit, which works fine in the 9Gag Comments pages and IE, but most newsreaders do not allow this.

It seems like GDR2 is not quite ready for primetime, which might be a reason they are not rolling it out yet. However, since it is already pre-installed on the 640, it seems ridiculous if not impossible to downgrade back to GDR1. So Microsoft, would you kindly fix this issue first? Pretty please?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed this too on my Lumia 640 (non-XL) and it bothers me a lot since the screen is so crisp otherwise, and just about the right size for new articles. The further you scroll down, the more unpleasant it becomes to read, up to the point where it hurts your eyes. It also happens in large/ tall images, for instances long comics in Rudy's 9Gag app. A poor workaround is to adjust the zoom level a bit, which works fine in the 9Gag Comments pages and IE, but most newsreaders do not allow this.

It seems like GDR2 is not quite ready for primetime, which might be a reason they are not rolling it out yet. However, since it is already pre-installed on the 640, it seems ridiculous if not impossible to downgrade back to GDR1. So Microsoft, would you kindly fix this issue first? Pretty please?
It's annoying isn't it. It makes news-reading difficult. I'm surprised more people haven't complained about the issue. There are only a handful of people who have left feedback for the W10 build, but obviously we cant give any feedback to Microsoft for GDR2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo