Cortana not giving location based info?

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I first noticed that cortana stopped telling me I need to leave for work if I want to be there on time. I checked settings and she is suppose to.

Now if I ask anything location based, cortana just does a web search. If I ask for the nearest grocery store or to give me directions to work, I just get a web search. I've power cycled my phone, but that hasn't helped.

I'd hate to have to reset all my phone settings. Does anyone have any idea why location based cortana commands are not working?

I've noticed that She also wont tell me about weather, or tell me the time. She will still tell me jokes and sing songs so I know she's not completely dead.

I tried resetting cortana. Still not working.

Can anyone confirm for me that cortana is working for them? I got a feeling that I just need to hard reset my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried resetting cortana. Still not working.

Can anyone confirm for me that cortana is working for them? I got a feeling that I just need to hard reset my phone.

I used Cortana for 2 location based reminders and 2 time reminders today. All of them worked perfectly. Using a 930.

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Last night I tried resetting all my cortana settings. That didn't fix it, so I thought I'd do a hard reset, thinking it would fix my problems. No such luck, Cortana still not working and I now I have to configure everything back to how I had them. I thought for sure that my start screen would have synced, no such luck.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem on my Lumia Icon. The funny things, after downgrading back to WP 8.1 Denim is when the problem started. I tried, as a test, to upgrade my Icon back to Windows 10 through the Insider Preview. Cortana worked perfectly while on WP10, but as soon as I restored it back to WP 8.1, the problem came back and now Cortana only returns Bing search results. I wonder if it has to do with some type of "keys" being tied to our devices after updating to Windows 10 and then back to Windows Phone 8.1 and Cortana?

Location based reminders do work, and some chit chat stuff works, but queries like "How's the weather today?", "I need directions to (x)" will only result in a Bing search results coming back and not a conversation. I also stopped receiving reminders to leave for/from work.

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, I guess some location based commands work. I can tell cortana to remind me of something when I get to work. What I can't do is ask cortana for the nearest grocery store or "where am I"? or ask for directions. I never did upgrade to windows 10, so that can't. So frustrating. The two of us can't be the only people having this problem. I'm surprised it's not more wide spread.

Timur Bakibayev

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone tell why cortana does not help with flights? For example, if I have an e-ticket in the inbox, it should parse it, and when it is time for the airport, somehow help me with the flight number etc. But it never works for some reason...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess some location based commands work. I can tell cortana to remind me of something when I get to work. What I can't do is ask cortana for the nearest grocery store or "where am I"? or ask for directions. I never did upgrade to windows 10, so that can't. So frustrating. The two of us can't be the only people having this problem. I'm surprised it's not more wide spread.

Yup, exact same for me. She reminds me when I leave/arrive at places, but asking where something is, directions, weather, etc results in nothing but Bing search results. Interesting, in that you never updated to Windows 10. That makes me feel a lot better so it is definitely server side. I've asked for help on Windows Support on Twitter and they re-directed me to Microsoft Answers (which is useless), so I'm going to hit them up on Twitter again.

Philip_17

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this issue too on my Lumia 920... I first noticed it about a week ago. I've tried to reset Cortana's data, turn off/on location, soft reset the phone... The only thing left to do is a hard reset, but I didn't wanted to do it... I'm on Update 2 and I never installed Windows 10 on my device.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this issue too on my Lumia 920... I first noticed it about a week ago. I've tried to reset Cortana's data, turn off/on location, soft reset the phone... The only thing left to do is a hard reset, but I didn't wanted to do it... I'm on Update 2 and I never installed Windows 10 on my device.

Don't hard reset or wipe your Cortana data. It is definitely server-side on their end. They haven't replied on Twitter or the Microsoft Answers site (probably because I mentioned Windows 10). Send @WindowsPhoneSupport a tweet on twitter, emphasizing that everything is stock on your device.

Philip_17

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Don't hard reset or wipe your Cortana data. It is definitely server-side on their end. They haven't replied on Twitter or the Microsoft Answers site (probably because I mentioned Windows 10). Send WindowsPhoneSupport a tweet on twitter, emphasizing that everything is stock on your device.

I already tweeted WindowsPhoneSupport. They were asking questions, but when I said I didn't live in the US, they just responded that Cortana isn't available in my country and stopped bothering... Even with me saying that all those features worked perfectly in my country since the launch of Cortana in 2014. I guess I'll wait...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I already tweeted WindowsPhoneSupport. They were asking questions, but when I said I didn't live in the US, they just responded that Cortana isn't available in my country and stopped bothering... Even with me saying that all those features worked perfectly in my country since the launch of Cortana in 2014. I guess I'll wait...

Yea, same here, has been working just fine since the launch of Cortana last year. I am going to continue to harass then on Twitter until they give me something...

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I live in the US and I've tried a hard reset and it's still not working. I'm going to guess that since cortana is still in "beta" and cortana is in beta for windows 10 and coming to ios and android soon, and it's just all buggy and I'll have to wait until things come together on all these different platforms.

Philip_17

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Well apparently it's still not completely fixed. The weather and current location work, but directions not so much. She says that I can't get to my destination via transit... :/

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Well apparently it's still not completely fixed. The weather and current location work, but directions not so much. She says that I can't get to my destination via transit... :/

Interesting, as she gave me directions when I asked for how to get to work (and any other direction). She went right to opening Here Drive...

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Seems like things are working a lot better. I can ask for directions, ask about the weather and ask for nearest grocery store. However If I ask for the current time, it does a web search. Not a big deal since I usually just look at my phone for the time, and I only ask cortana for the time when it's for testing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire