A painful switch

james7679

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Due to financial reasons and the fact that AT&T doesn't have a stock on the 1520 anymore, I had to make the painful decision to switch to Android for a new phone. I got an LG G3. Decent phone, but I already miss some of the things that make the WP8.1 platform stand out. I'm hoping some of you cross platform users can make a few suggestions for me;

A better voice assistant. I use my BT headset all of the time. The built in voice recognition on Android is terrible. On my 1520 it worked at around 97% accuracy/efficiency. Android is around 20%, and that's being really nice. Please tell me there is something better.

A better keyboard w/word prediction. This one is, meh, at best.

That is all for now. I'm sure I'll find more problems, as time goes by.

Thanks for reading.

James

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can sell the G3 and get an unlocked 1520 you know probably.

Can't say about the voice assistance.
I'd try the default Google or AOSP keyboard.

james7679

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
You can sell the G3 and get an unlocked 1520 you know probably.

Can't say about the voice assistance.
I'd try the default Google or AOSP keyboard.
I did consider this. But I am wondering if there will be a newer iteration of the 1520 coming anytime soon. I like the Icon, but hate Verizon. I know there is an unlocked version, but not having LTE is a deal breaker, for me.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the LG3 Voice Mate or Google Now?

^This. If you're not using Google Now, you should be. I use Google Now alongside Cortana, and GN is at least as good. The only reason I'm saying it's not better is because that idea gets tasered here. :eck: But, I do not find it behind in any way.

Google Now's voice recognition is at least as good as Cortana's, and it also seems to be a bit "smarter." However, that could be chalked up to me using it longer. Google Now is not turned on by default. You need to opt in.

As far as the keyboard, I do like WP's a bit better than Google's. I use Swiftkey on Android, which I like better than WP's. Swiftkey>WP keyboard>Google default keyboard.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did consider this. But I am wondering if there will be a newer iteration of the 1520 coming anytime soon. I like the Icon, but hate Verizon. I know there is an unlocked version, but not having LTE is a deal breaker, for me.

Not for a couple months at least, so if you're not happy, I'd do that.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Due to financial reasons and the fact that AT&T doesn't have a stock on the 1520 anymore, I had to make the painful decision to switch to Android for a new phone. I got an LG G3. Decent phone, but I already miss some of the things that make the WP8.1 platform stand out. I'm hoping some of you cross platform users can make a few suggestions for me;

A better voice assistant. I use my BT headset all of the time. The built in voice recognition on Android is terrible. On my 1520 it worked at around 97% accuracy/efficiency. Android is around 20%, and that's being really nice. Please tell me there is something better.

A better keyboard w/word prediction. This one is, meh, at best.

That is all for now. I'm sure I'll find more problems, as time goes by.

Thanks for reading.

James

First of all I'd suggest you to use Google Launcher or Nova Launcher for the best Android experience and Google keyboard.

Google Launcher with http://www.google.com/landing/now/ will eventually learn where is your home, work, weather, favorite places and times you leave your house. It's pretty cool :)

And personal assistant? Do you use the LG's one or Google? I even troll my friends with "Ok Google" activation while they try to browse lol ;) :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with using the Google Now launcher. That's all I use. It's default on Nexus devices, but if I'm using a device with a different default launcher, I switch.

One other tip: do not try to make your Android a Windows Phone. It's not, and won't be. Some things you will not like as good, either because they aren't as good or you're not accustomed to them. Other aspects of Android are not better or worse; just different. You know how we give advice on this forum to users switching to WP and complaining about certain things? We say don't make it Android/iPhone, some things are different, it will take some time, go into it with an open mind, and so on. Well, the same applies here.

james7679

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
It seems as though I should try Google Now and Swiftkey. I will load them tonight and let you all know how it goes.
I agree with using the Google Now launcher. That's all I use. It's default on Nexus devices, but if I'm using a device with a different default launcher, I switch.

One other tip: do not try to make your Android a Windows Phone. It's not, and won't be. Some things you will not like as good, either because they aren't as good or you're not accustomed to them. Other aspects of Android are not better or worse; just different. You know how we give advice on this forum to users switching to WP and complaining about certain things? We say don't make it Android/iPhone, some things are different, it will take some time, go into it with an open mind, and so on. Well, the same applies here.

Oh, yeah, I know it's not going to be a WP. I have no plans on it being the same. I'm just used to those two things working at a certain level and they just aren't up to par. I can live with the rest.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree that switch is painful. I have the 1520 and a HTC M8 for work. I tried like heck for a month as a daily driver to the point of not even turning my WP on. I could not do it. Too much of WP makes my day happen better. Nothing like it exists on any other platform. Ebay is your friend.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Google Now Launcher and Google keyboard are the way to go. SwiftKey is quite good but I like the stock Google Keyboard these days on my Nexus 7. I am a dual OS user. Android for tablet and WP for phone.
Good luck.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Google Now Launcher and Google keyboard are the way to go. SwiftKey is quite good but I like the stock Google Keyboard these days on my Nexus 7. I am a dual OS user. Android for tablet and WP for phone.
Good luck.
I've tried the stock Google keyboard and Swype, but I didn't like either as much as SwiftKey.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've tried the stock Google keyboard and Swype, but I didn't like either as much as SwiftKey.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

I used SwiftKey from 2012 to late 2013 but I think with KitKat the stock keyboard closed the gap IMO. And since then I have stuck with the stock Google Keyboard on my tablet.

james7679

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Okay, well, I installed Now and SwiftKey yesterday and am very pleased with SwiftKey and happier with Now than the built in voice recognition.

I do have a question about Now; why do I not get tile notifications anymore?

I may still sell the LG G3 and buy another 1520, but it's more likely that I'll wait for something new.

Thanks for your input, all.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

I have a 930 and the LTE works fine, it's the US carriers that won't recognise it because they want to use a system that is incompatible with everything and so limits your choices. Try getting an Icon on PAYG and then unlock it through third party. You will love it, I promise, and an unlocked Icon ought to work with US style LTE.

james7679

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a 930 and the LTE works fine, it's the US carriers that won't recognise it because they want to use a system that is incompatible with everything and so limits your choices. Try getting an Icon on PAYG and then unlock it through third party. You will love it, I promise, and an unlocked Icon ought to work with US style LTE.
The Icon and, subsequently, the 930 are programmed for Verizon's LTE bands. I am 99% sure that it will not work on At&t's LTE bands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786