FAQ about WP 8.1's network connectivity issue

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I am well aware that the question I'm going to ask has been discussed in many threads on this forum and elsewhere. But I've not yet seen any good or satisfactory answers / solutions.

Before beginning, the question is "Does WP have no functionality of automatically connecting to the lower generation network spectrum if higher one is temporarily unavailable?"

So, to start with, I had got my Micro SIM cut into a Nano SIM as per Lumia 830's demand :wink: After a few hours, I began doubting if the SIM was not properly cut. Because, at a moment, it gained network and then after few hours or so, it was lost! In simple words, the phone would establish a connection but for very less time. Then I performed a hard reset and re-inserted the SIM. But again the same problem. I tried to shape it more evenly using a nail file. But still the problem persisted.

Finally, as a last resort, I decided to get a SIM replacement. This time it'd be a Nano SIM. I did everything that was required to get a replacement. And I was pleased to take the decision. But unfortunately, it didn't work. It still had the same problem. Then I had become suspicious about the phone. I was thinking of getting a replacement citing its connectivity issue as the reason.

Then while glancing through the settings, I got into the SIM settings. There I, just for no reason, selected 2G as the highest connection speed and was surprised to realize that my phone would seamlessly connect to the 2G network, but only if it is set as the highest connection speed :eck:

When I select 3G as the highest connection speed, it connects to it in the areas where it is available. If 3G is not available at a specific location, then it simply says "No service". Why does it do so? Other phones (except WPs) simply connect to 2G, if 3G isn't available. But my Lumia 830 won't do that. It connects if and only if 3G is available. Else, it doesn't connect at all :cry:

There's another scene where, when I attempt to make a call, my phone gets connected to the network, but only during the call. After hanging up, the phone again disconnects from the network. This has made me really frustrate as no one is able to call or text me due to the connectivity issue :angry:

Please help me out of this. I want to set the highest connection speed to 3G but not at the cost of frequent disconnectivity. I use 3G for internet browsing. Hence, settling for 2G is no option.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you, by any chance, have a toggle in SIM settings for ENS? If so, try toggling it off and rebooting from that screen. Just power down. A Soft Reset will have the phone forget you are changing a setting.

One thing Enhanced Network Selection does is keep you locked to a specific set of towers and not free to pick any choice among post merger options your carrier may have made. In other words, you may be stuck on one set of legacy towers when your carrier has different equipment that they have merged in.

Enhanced Network Selection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
No, there isn't such toggle in the settings app.

Also, I thought that the bands used by my carrier might be incompatible with my phone. But that's also not the case. Actually, I live just a few hundred metres away from the limit of 3G coverage area
(I referred to an online service displaying the coverage areas using maps). And hence, the signal is not very strong. So, I expect my phone to switch b/w any available network but not get disconnected.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 830 RM-983 has no problems shifting up and down the data ladder on my carrier...

Yeah. Mine too is working perfectly now. It wasn't the phone's fault. 3G was not activated for my number from the carrier's side :eck: While checking out some offers for my number, I accidentally selected the 3G option and it sent a request to the carrier to activate 3G and soon I received the confirmation sms from them :D Now my problem is solved. The action centre now shows the "3G" tag where it used to show the "E" tag beside the carrier name.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers