Sometimes Games lag a second while in the midst of gameplay when its in SD Card

NIRMAL RAJ THAMBI

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

My Mobile is Lumia 640 XL.. Sometimes the Games lag a second while in the midst of gameplay, when the game is installed in SD Card. So I moved them back to phone storage and there was no evident lag. When its in SD Card, it Lags for a second or two in gameplay.. I tried 3 games, Subway Surfers, Doodle Jump and Beach Buggy Racing.. All of these have lags. My SD Card is Samsung Evo Class 10 32 GB Card Online Shopping - Shop Online for Mobile Phones, Digital Cameras, Watches, Books & More at Flipkart.com .

Expecting your help.. Thanks

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I can not help but I can explain why this happens.
A SD card has a slower (read/write) storage memory compared with the internal storage memory and you notice this as lag because these games need to access the storage a lot.

garvitmiglani97

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Try a better card with better write speed.
While buying SD cards not just consider class also consider write speed.
I am now using a class 10 with an advertised speed of 60 mbps.
None of the games lag on my Lumia 640 XL

NIRMAL RAJ THAMBI

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi ?Ÿ™‹...

So you are saying that that lag is normal compared to the internal memory? I was worried of a faulty sd card. I thought class 10 sd card would perform flawlessly. I tested the speed of card and it registered 29 mbps/ write. So is it all normal ??

Ps: The lag is like screen freeze for about 2 seconds..

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Indeed it is "normal" if you go to the "max" because the internal storage is faster so you do not have a faulty card.

NIRMAL RAJ THAMBI

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Thank U Harrie... One more query.. a person who wrote above you stated in this thread that he had never experienced any kind of lag in his 640 XL.. then what would be the reason behind that? please guide me. The lag in my 640 XL is not frequent but occasional though.:(

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
A lag or a hiccup could be due to various reasons (CPU locks, high memory usage, lot of background apps, etc.) It's almost impossible to give a concrete reason but these are the most likely ones.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay a little bit longer answer.

There are basically 2 speed definitions for SD cards.
1 Class 2,4,6 or 10
2 UHS classes.
Our phones have a High Speed bus.
Digital camera's etc may have a UHS bus.
You can compare High Speed (HS) and Ultra High speed bus with the difference between USB2 and USB3 so a hardware difference which determines the speed they can handle.

A SD card with a UHS rating also supports class 10 .
The OP above talkes about 60MB/s but this is in UHS devices and not in HS devices. So in our phone it's "just" a class 10 card.

Now I do not know what the max speed of a Class 10 is but the max of a High Speed bus is 25 MB/s. So the "max" speed of the card is between 10 and 25 MB/s.

So first of all I am happy that above OP does not see any lag.
Maybe he uses other games or levels or whatever.
But you do not have a faulty SD card.

Now there may or will be a difference in different class 10 cards but I still did not see a comparison in phones.
And manufacturers keep this also "hidden". They put BIG UP TO 60 MB/s (but in small print uhs only)

(And if you put a SD card in your PC the speed will be higher because of the hardware in your PC)

garvitmiglani97

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't know that much but a memory card upgrade is surely gonna help you.
I play HD games like dead trigger 2 and Asphalt 8 which are installed on SD Card, both of these work flawlessly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa