LUMIA 1020: USB connexion and PC sync problem. Can I get some help?

Almossadra

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
LUMIA 1020: USB connexion and PC sync problem.

Hi all,
I have two WP, Lumia 820 and Lumia 1020.
I can connect my Lumia 820 in USB to my PC and use it like a USB mass storage, and move or ad files.
But it doesnt work with my Lumia 1020. When i connect my 1020 in USB, that starts only charging. But I cant use my phone like a mass storage.

I have Windows Seven on my PC.

Thank you for your help.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: LUMIA 1020: USB connexion and PC sync problem.

Hello

There are several possibilities:

1. Dust is in the USB port of the phone - a short gust of dry air (not from the mouth) or a repeated but gentle inserting and pulling out of the USB plug should work;

2. The USB data cable is broken - even if the phone charges, the data contacts may have been damaged; use a different USB data cable;

3. Minor software fault - try restarting or performing a soft reset on your phone.

4. Major software fault - try using the Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

5. Major hardware fault - the USB port of your phone needs to be replaced... in a service center.

6. Minor software fault (PC) - try reinstalling the USB drivers in your PC. Still a possibility however unlikely since your L820 can be recognized.

Welcome to Windows Central, by the way.

Almossadra

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the response and wish :)

Hello

There are several possibilities:

1. I already did that but doesn't work.

2. I used several different USB data cable, and all them work with my lumia 820, but not for my lumia 1020.

3. Tried too, and doesn't work.

4. I didn't try this way because i have 11Gb of pictures and data to backup, i would have to not lost them :s. .

5. This will the ultim way, if nothing else works.

6. Where can i find those USB drivers? I searched a lot on the web, nothing found, maybe i did it wrong? The only thing i found is the sync app for PC, downloaded from the Microsoft support. I think that my problem is a Driver problem, because when i connect my L1020 to PC, after a long minute i have a push on y PC with this message: "Windows cannot install Drivers" or "you device is unknown"... I have cheked for updates for my L1020 (Settings and then Phone update) and there is not a new update for my 1020.

Thank you.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

You're welcome.

For #6, go to your PC, launch Device Manager, scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers, uninstall Generic USB Hub and USB Composite Device (other sources recommend uninstalling everything there). Once you reconnect your phone, the PC will automatically re-install the needed drivers.

Almossadra

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

I unintalled everything in Universal Bus controllers but the PC install the drivers immediately, befor i connect the phone.
Another thing, i was searching the driver my phone use, and i saw my phone is connecting/disconnecting intantly and contunually. Any idea?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I encountered this symptom only when the USB port was dirty (either in the phone or in the PC), but since you mentioned that cleaning the port didn't work I'm not sure what's going on. Have you tried using different USB ports?

My L1020 can be recognized by my Windows 7 laptop with no problems.

Almossadra

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

When i use different USB ports i have several symptoms:
-Nothing happens, only charging
or
-The same symptoms i told befor;

I would like ask you to save and archive the drivers you use on your windows 7 and send me them please, i will test and see.

Otherwise, is there another way to sync my pictures to the PC, except ondedrive?

I was able to WIFI sync my WP7 with zune, but i don't know about wp8, possible to connect and sync a wp8 to PC with the WIFI?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, I'm not sure which drivers correspond to what file in a PC, but what I can do is attach the following image containing the basic list of my drivers from my device manager:
USB Drivers.PNG

Why not OneDrive? The _highres.jpg photos can also be shared to OneDrive (or DropBox), but you need the Microsoft Files app for that. That app allows you to share almost any file that is accessible in your phone to OneDrive, DropBox and even email.

I'm not sure about connecting the WP to a PC through Wi-Fi, though I've done that for Remote Desktop testing - not for file sharing.

Almossadra

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

:-S

Thank you for the screen.
I don't know too... the best way is using a software like Mydrivers, it tell you the name of each app for each driver and enable to create an executable file with the driver.
But i don't want you to donwload, install etc etc etc a new app, i will find another way to resolve my problem.

Onedrive is ok, but i have still a lots of pictures and i wont see which are uploaded from my 1020 and which are not.
Hard... Hard with Microsoft to fix problems when it happens :D

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Alright, you're welcome. Hope the information here would help. There are others whose forte are those technical things who might join the discussion - the last time I meddled with those files ended in corrupting the entire OS, and it wasn't my unit.:grincry:

Wait... you can view which images are uploaded in OneDrive straight from your phone. :wink:

You can either view them in your PhotoHub, under Albums there should be a OneDrive album there; or through the OneDrive app itself.

Almossadra

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

Sure, but 99% of my pics are screens, they are similar, only little differences so hard to know which are uploded and which are not.
I tested Dropbox now, the problem is that i can't do a big list of selected pics to upload. I selected ~50 pics to upload then dropbox crashed. I lunched it again, and saw that it upload only 5 pics in a list... So it will be very long!

I will try better Onedrive, maybe it will resolve my problem.

If i find anything ill report it here! Thanks a lot :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3