Question about unofficial apps

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If it is unofficial, is it legal to charge for it? I mean maybe its a standard practice but just asking.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You mean like the G-Maps Apps type things?

I sure believe it is or there are a whole bunch of people in trouble in every App store...

Or do you mean like warez sites? They are all pirates anyhow so yeah. Not cool to charge for what you stole.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I believe it depends on how the apps are named. For example, Tweetium is a paid Twitter app for Windows and Windows Phone, which I bought. I also bought a paid Twitter app for Android called TweetCaster Pro. I don't have any iOS products, but there are paid Twitter apps for iOS also. Twitter isn't complaining about any of these apps, even though the official Twitter apps are free for any platform.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You mean like the G-Maps Apps type things?

I sure believe it is or there are a whole bunch of people in trouble in every App store...

Or do you mean like warez sites? They are all pirates anyhow so yeah. Not cool to charge for what you stole.
I mean regular apps that appear in the store that are using an official API of a free or paid app. For instance if I wanted to make a Windows Central app and use its API to make it, can I make one and charge money for it?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep. That's the first part of my statement. You can charge for being a 3rd party access App. However, if the Official is free you better put some feature spin on it to make the payment worthwhile...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep. That's the first part of my statement. You can charge for being a 3rd party access App. However, if the Official is free you better put some feature spin on it to make the payment worthwhile...
One would hope there would be something special to warrant paying for an otherwise free app. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
One would hope there would be something special to warrant paying for an otherwise free app. :)
In the case of Tweetium, the notfications actually work. It allows one to manage multiple Twitter accounts.

TweetCaster Pro allows one to post Tweets that are longer than 140 characters.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
In the case of Tweetium, the notfications actually work. It allows one to manage multiple Twitter accounts.

TweetCaster Pro allows one to post Tweets that are longer than 140 characters.

Yes, that's what I mean. Value added type stuff I think make sense if you are charging for an app. I wasn't sure how this flies in real life for services like Twitter. Thanks Laura.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans