Backup Phone to PC

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
How come I can't backup my Phone to my PC ? I have nearly used all my 30 gigs on my phone and the only solution is to buy a SD and backup to the SD :unhappy:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
you should be able to automatically back up your phone to onedrive wirelessly, however, you can also use the windows phone app, assuming your are on windows 8:
Windows Phone app for Windows in the Windows Store

The OP wants to back up his data to his PC. I find it inexcusable that we no longer have this option and I blame Apple for being the first to do away with desktop management for devices. Somehow, Steve Jobs convinced the public that it was pass? to connect a phone to a computer. Right now, the only OS that offers desktop management is BlackBerry. Just a few years ago, Windows had ActiveSync, Palm had its Desktop, Symbian had Nokia Suite, etc.

End of rant, going for my 3rd cup of coffee.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not quite sure i understand wired versus wireless backup differences. when i had an iphone 3g, i backed it up via itunes, and it kept an image there. now, when i reset my windows phone, i get the option to use any one of phone backups that have been stored to onedrive. The only hiccup is app setup, with things like game progression and more specifically podcast lounge, where its more of a pain to get back to where i was at the time of backup. I'd be curious to see if iphone or android have solved this...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, backup on Windows Phone 8.1+ is a joke. Back in WP 7 with Zune, we could trick Zune (with a simple batch file) to take a full clone of your phone, you could nuke it and restore, everything was back EXACTLY the way it was.

In 8.1 Apps can only be backed up if the developer selects the option, this means 95% of your apps settings wont get backed up, so you will lose all save games, all app settings (facebook, twitter, etc).

At least Microsoft could of added an option to select apps you want to back up (non-secure apps), so games could be backed up by your choice.

I have about 60 apps on my phone, I have application backup enabled. I had a failed W 10 install so I rolled back, Not ONE APP WAS RESTORED.

No question, a joke...

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Yea, backup on Windows Phone 8.1+ is a joke. Back in WP 7 with Zune, we could trick Zune (with a simple batch file) to take a full clone of your phone, you could nuke it and restore, everything was back EXACTLY the way it was.

In 8.1 Apps can only be backed up if the developer selects the option, this means 95% of your apps settings wont get backed up, so you will lose all save games, all app settings (facebook, twitter, etc).

At least Microsoft could of added an option to select apps you want to back up (non-secure apps), so games could be backed up by your choice.

I have about 60 apps on my phone, I have application backup enabled. I had a failed W 10 install so I rolled back, Not ONE APP WAS RESTORED.

No question, a joke...
I agree this is one of my biggest gripes over Android, Google does backup the app data, so if you restore your data goes right back... Shane Microsoft still does not have a fix for this.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not quite sure i understand wired versus wireless backup differences. when i had an iphone 3g, i backed it up via itunes, and it kept an image there. now, when i reset my windows phone, i get the option to use any one of phone backups that have been stored to onedrive. The only hiccup is app setup, with things like game progression and more specifically podcast lounge, where its more of a pain to get back to where i was at the time of backup. I'd be curious to see if iphone or android have solved this...

The OP may not be in an area with good internet availability, such as many rural areas, or he may just be an old-school guy like me. Personally, I like doing wholesale edits on a PC rather than a small phone screen. Plus, with USB 3.0 speeds, the job is much quicker unless you have unfettered access to crazy broadband speeds.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I am somewhat an old school guy :) Backing up to the PC is, well I don't even have to explain that, backing up 30 gigs to OneDrive over, even a fast WiFi connection won't take forty-minutes, rather much longer, not something I want to do, or sometimes can or have the time to do at a WiFi location before speeds drop to snail speeds.

I can afford the time to backup my phone to my PC weekly, atleast, yet, there is no option to do such a thing. :angry:

Microsoft please make an option available, and if you need someone to test I'm the person to contact, then I'll tell the community and those who need backing up from Phone to PC will rejoice. :)
Mentioning Apple is useless, I wouldn't trust Apple with my data, lucky for me, I don't like Apple, nor did I like Steve Jobs, yes I said it.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
The OP wants to back up his data to his PC. I find it inexcusable that we no longer have this option and I blame Apple for being the first to do away with desktop management for devices. Somehow, Steve Jobs convinced the public that it was pass? to connect a phone to a computer. Right now, the only OS that offers desktop management is BlackBerry. Just a few years ago, Windows had ActiveSync, Palm had its Desktop, Symbian had Nokia Suite, etc.

End of rant, going for my 3rd cup of coffee.

All of my iPads get backed up locally to my PC. And it backs up everything to the last byte. Set up a new iPad with exactly the same apps and settings in 45 minutes. Nothing like this in WP.

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
this is the way MS makes us to buy Onedrive storage. This is the true meaning of "mobile first". I am also more the old school guy and i only want to back up to my pc. But even if i choose not to back up anything by onedrive a lot of private data is stored there and scanned by MS and other agencies. If this goes on with Win10 my next phone will be another brand.

CGA111

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

No question, a joke...

Yes! This is so retarded that words won't describe it. On Android I could make an image of my phone and store it wherever and how I wanted.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720