10-02-2015 07:49 PM
294 12345 ...
tools
    He asked a permanent way because it should be always visible on the lock screen. There's nothing to hide below the music controls.
    06-15-2015 12:14 PM
    The three things that absolute drive me insane (and on some previous version, probably WP7, they didn't exist-- i.e. MS introduced these problems and has tried to pass them off as improvements):

1. The music control overlay USED to be transparent. Why does this matter? Because a) the solid block of gray is ugly; and b) it completely obscures all of the icons for as long as it is on the screen. Transparent controls were a godsend but apparently some idiots out there complained they were hard to see and now we have the gray block.

2. The cursor is impossible to place properly because it is DIRECTLY UNDER YOUR FINGER. How is that a good thing? Didn't anyone at MS realize that, you know, if your finger is on the screen, maybe you shouldn't place the graphical element you're trying to manipulate directly underneath it? Oh wait, someone did-- originally, a long press in a text field would bring up a cursor about a cm above your finger, which you could then move while seeing it. Apparently, more stupid users complained about this, since it wasn't obvious, and rather than educate users, we're stuck with not being able to see the cursor.

3. The #1 complaint of mine-- IE tabs that constantly reload. It's obviously some sort of memory management but I can't figure out when it decides to reload and when it doesn't. I can come from a soft reset, with one tab open, and it will reload. Once again, this is not how the behavior was originally: there used to be a hard limit of 6 open tabs (now it's more or less unlimited) but the upside was you NEVER reloaded a page. It all stayed in memory. Not anymore, also because of stupid, short-sighted users who complained about the hard limit. It's a phone, people. You don't have infinite RAM. Of course a compromise needed to be made if you wanted unlimited tabs "open"-- they would need to reload. So they're not even really open and you just ruined an otherwise good experience.

MS had some really nice UX elements that they completely kneecapped because of user feedback. That's why I wish they took a more Apple-like attitude: end users are, by and large, morons who only care about their one particular usage scenario. These companies have smart software engineers and UX experts working for them and I trust them more than joe schmoe on a message board (see the new OneDrive file implementation in W10 for another example of a great feature being ruined by end user complaints).
    06-15-2015 12:15 PM
    He asked a permanent way because it should be always visible on the lock screen. There's nothing to hide below the music controls.
    except all of your notification icons, signal strength, etc.
    06-15-2015 12:16 PM
    My Lumia 520 can't open multiple tabs. It reloads everytime when I switch to different tab. Is there a setting or something which I am missing ?
    No setting, Windows Phone has aggressive memory requirements. Kind of annoying
    06-15-2015 01:56 PM
    I'm on Denim, and there are a lot of things I like about it, but one of the things I wish I could do is save email attachments to my phone folders. I was really surprised when I tried to save a pdf to my sd card, and the option to save was grayed out. Instead you have to use an app to open the attachment. I'm using Pocket File Manager to save my pdfs, which helps, but it would be immensely useful to me if I could just save it right from the email.
    06-15-2015 02:05 PM
    No way to turn on/off data connection without going to settings... why they don't add it to action centre
    Andrei Rinea likes this.
    06-15-2015 02:16 PM
    They did actually. Update your phone.
    06-15-2015 02:18 PM
    It won't switch over to 4 bar cellular when it has 1 bar of wifi (it should do it's radio selection based on signal quality)
    06-15-2015 02:41 PM
    All of the notifications are simple and elegant except for the calendar ones. Many times I'm working on something or (the worst!) someone is taking a picture and notifications pop up completely jarring you out of what you're doing, unlike all the other toast notifications.

Along with notifications, I find that there is no consistency for how long a text notification stays on the screen. Sometimes it is the normal amount, sometimes it stays on forever until swiping it away.

Also as someone mentioned the onscreen keyboard when inputting text, there is no way to hide it and some websites do not have a lot of 'clickable' space to make it disappear.
    WesleyBPeres and gmlongo like this.
    06-15-2015 03:40 PM
    the os needs to grow. kill off cheap phones and focus development for mid - high range devices. theres a reason why the overall experience during wp7s / wp7 was awesome. all devices shares the same chassis requirement. Microsoft and the windows phone team spends less time on optimization on different hardware profiles. reduce the diversity of hardware and focus on the actual development instead of getting stuck on fine tuning
    06-15-2015 04:03 PM
    The music player when the phone is locked. The fact it disappears and to make it reappear I must lock my screen then skip my songs. Think there should be a transparent or permanent way to keep the music player visible in the lock screen?
    Pressing the volume rocker when the screen is locked brings up the music controls.
    06-15-2015 04:13 PM
    No way to turn on/off data connection without going to settings... why they don't add it to action centre
    You need to update your phone buddy.
    06-15-2015 04:18 PM
    The three things that absolute drive me insane (and on some previous version, probably WP7, they didn't exist-- i.e. MS introduced these problems and has tried to pass them off as improvements):

1. The music control overlay USED to be transparent. Why does this matter? Because a) the solid block of gray is ugly; and b) it completely obscures all of the icons for as long as it is on the screen. Transparent controls were a godsend but apparently some idiots out there complained they were hard to see and now we have the gray block.

2. The cursor is impossible to place properly because it is DIRECTLY UNDER YOUR FINGER. How is that a good thing? Didn't anyone at MS realize that, you know, if your finger is on the screen, maybe you shouldn't place the graphical element you're trying to manipulate directly underneath it? Oh wait, someone did-- originally, a long press in a text field would bring up a cursor about a cm above your finger, which you could then move while seeing it. Apparently, more stupid users complained about this, since it wasn't obvious, and rather than educate users, we're stuck with not being able to see the cursor.

3. The #1 complaint of mine-- IE tabs that constantly reload. It's obviously some sort of memory management but I can't figure out when it decides to reload and when it doesn't. I can come from a soft reset, with one tab open, and it will reload. Once again, this is not how the behavior was originally: there used to be a hard limit of 6 open tabs (now it's more or less unlimited) but the upside was you NEVER reloaded a page. It all stayed in memory. Not anymore, also because of stupid, short-sighted users who complained about the hard limit. It's a phone, people. You don't have infinite RAM. Of course a compromise needed to be made if you wanted unlimited tabs "open"-- they would need to reload. So they're not even really open and you just ruined an otherwise good experience.

MS had some really nice UX elements that they completely kneecapped because of user feedback. That's why I wish they took a more Apple-like attitude: end users are, by and large, morons who only care about their one particular usage scenario. These companies have smart software engineers and UX experts working for them and I trust them more than joe schmoe on a message board (see the new OneDrive file implementation in W10 for another example of a great feature being ruined by end user complaints).
    I totally agree with you! User feedback is mostly responsible for these annoying things we face.
    Tribu likes this.
    06-15-2015 04:21 PM
    The seemingly random settings list.
    Tribu likes this.
    06-15-2015 04:53 PM
    I believe this is coming with Win 10.
    That's the one part that worked well in W10 before I rolled back. Voice tweeting is a breeze.
    06-15-2015 05:08 PM
    The seemingly random settings list.
    Fixed in W10.
    06-15-2015 05:08 PM
    It is pretty crap, I agree but you can actually slide your finger elsewhere on the screen once you have pressed and still move the I-bar. Not ideal but at least you can see.
    06-15-2015 05:11 PM
    For the people with taps instead of swipes...

Check sensitivity setting for touch if you are on a lumia phone! Set it from high to normal, should help with this problem... High is enabled to allow touch to work even with gloves so screen picks up fingers very fast when not wearing gloves.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    06-15-2015 05:13 PM
    What I don't like is the constant battery killing capacitive buttons being on. The only way to permanently kill them is to turn on battery saver which will cause me to miss notifications and alerts. Sometimes the buttons turn off by themselves in high sunlight but numerous times they are on in normal light and its not necessary for me cause I can see them. Its just killing my battery. Give me an option Microsoft.

And another thing again. Battery saver is buggy. Some apps I have to run in the background don't. No notifications or anything even if I have to always run.
    WesleyBPeres and fluffyowl like this.
    06-15-2015 05:14 PM
    What I don't like is the constant battery killing capacitive buttons being on. The only way to permanently kill them is to turn on battery saver which will cause me to miss notifications and alerts. Sometimes the buttons turn off by themselves in high sunlight but numerous times they are on in normal light and its not necessary for me cause I can see them. Its just killing my battery. Give me an option Microsoft.

And another thing again. Battery saver is buggy. Some apps I have to run in the background don't. No notifications or anything even if I have to always run.
    Depending on which apps, you can just option the run while battery saver is on.
    06-15-2015 05:19 PM
    My problem with battery saver is that the remaining time is so funny with it's readings. Like, sometimes when I turn on battery saver, the estimated time remain is far lower than the time I get when battery saver is off. That is, I get more battery time when battery saver is off than when it's on. I thought it was supposed to work the other way round?
    06-15-2015 05:28 PM
    Depending on which apps, you can just option the run while battery saver is on.
    Like I said in my post...i have to always run meaning that even if battery save is on that they will run. BUT SOMETIMES THEY DONT.
    06-15-2015 05:54 PM
    the resuming screen, period
    Dk92, ByeVanno and bitshifts like this.
    06-15-2015 06:11 PM
    I recently picked up a certain android device and the first thing I did was disable to keyboard vibrations. I do not want my presses to vibrate or make any sort of sound. Not only can I not stand the feature, it has to affect the battery life when typing a lot.
    Tribu likes this.
    06-15-2015 07:54 PM
    Very simple requirements from me:
    1. No more resuming or reloading BS. Don't tell me Android / iOS have their loading animation as well because I don't see such thing when switching over to another app via the app switcher on those platforms. It is not about loading of information within the app, but seems like WP tends to redraw the UI everytime apps are switched.

5efvol.jpg

2. Allow downloading of stuffs from the Internet without the need to have the app in focus on the screen. Maybe the OS already allowed this to happen, but I'm not seeing it happening for lots of the apps I'm using. Devs fault? I highly doubt so.

3. Reduce the amount of animation used. Everything when I hit Start to go back to the Start screen, I have to wait for the animation to stop (where all tiles flip in) in order for the phone to start registering my scrolling gestures. Is just annoying.

4. Notifications icon on the top status bar. Do not clear it away until I have all the new notifications cleared! I only pulled down the notification center to see what came in and the icon is gone. There are still pending events up there for me to discover!

I shall see what Windows10 for phone will bring to the table....
    06-15-2015 08:15 PM
294 12345 ...