The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
So many of my swipes are mistakened for taps. I don't know of that's a hardware, software, or firmware problem, but Aul never responds whenever I ask him about it on twitter. It's so annoying.. And I know its some sort of bug because it never does it when I use my iphone.

I often experience this problem when using Internet Explorer of WP. I believe it is a bug of WP version of IE. Well, this problem is more frequent when browsing wpcentral.com.... :(

Maxy12

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
1) Annoying "Loading" and "Resuming" screen. For example, I could be composing a tweet about something I'm reading on IE but I wanted to glance at IE, while on Twitter (or any other Twitter app I'm using ATM) I press and hold the back button, swipe to IE (but not calling it up) then swipe back to Twitter and even though I actually didn't leave Twitter, the "Resuming" screen comes on! Sometimes lasting as long as 5-7 seconds. Meanwhile, has anyone noticed that Opera Mini does not resume? And you always get the exact page where you left off when you reopen the app even though it's been days since last use? It doesn't reload your page like IE does on opening (that that lying progress bar)

2) Windows Phone DOES NOT multitask.

3) Back up rarely works.

4) *someone has mentioned this* Executing swipes as taps

5) When I swipe down half from top to reveal just the action centre and maybe I change my mind and want to see my notifications, swiping down further does not work most times. Sometimes requires several attempts or just starting all over before it works.

I have more on list of things that bugs me about WP but I'll stop at this. I just wish these little annoying things are fixed cos I really love WP. Can't imagine switching to another OS.
1- Loading and resuming happened to me very rare in Lumia 640 XL and 535 but I had it before in 520 and 920.frequently. I think it is because old processor speed.
4- Executing swipes as taps , I don't have it in 520 and 640 XL but it happened to me in rare occasions in 920. Also I activate many 535 devices and 2 of them has this problem always and the rest of devices are fine without this problem ,I think Microsoft fixed it with update.
Overall I'm happy about Windows Phone and I get used to live with its limits but I can't imagine myself to live with Android problems :)
Regards

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1- Loading and resuming happened to me very rare in Lumia 640 XL and 535 but I had it before in 520 and 920.frequently. I think it is because old processor speed.
4- Executing swipes as taps , I don't have it in 520 and 640 XL but it happened to me in rare occasions in 920. Also I activate many 535 devices and 2 of them has this problem always and the rest of devices are fine without this problem ,I think Microsoft fixed it with update.
Overall I'm happy about Windows Phone and I get used to live with its limits but I can't imagine myself to live with Android problems :)
Regards

Memory is the reason behind loading/resuming. Apps close after being minimized, and to reload, restoring the page you were previously on.

Newer apps do this less, and the Lumia 920 is faster than the 640.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Memory is the reason behind loading/resuming. Apps close after being minimized, and to reload, restoring the page you were previously on.

I can attest to this. It never appears on my M8 but appeared a few times a day on my 8X back when I had it.

mileRunner

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
My request would be with this particular frustration with the 'photo' app. It's a lovely thing and its great that the tile alternates through a handful of pictures randomly, changing about daily. The problem is that once in a while the phone shows a really nice picture, one that I had forgotten about, my first reaction is 'oh let's see this again, let's see this bigger...' but of course you click on the thing and it simply get you to your pictures, with the most recent ones being shown. I'm not going to scroll to find the picture, I've got thousands and I don't know where it is...

So it would be nice that when you touched the tile and entered the app, you would have at the bottom the group that's being shown currently on the tile, and above that, all the photos in chronology like we have now.

Has any one run into this frustrating interaction with the photo app?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My request would be with this particular frustration with the 'photo' app. It's a lovely thing and its great that the tile alternates through a handful of pictures randomly, changing about daily. The problem is that once in a while the phone shows a really nice picture, one that I had forgotten about, my first reaction is 'oh let's see this again, let's see this bigger...' but of course you click on the thing and it simply get you to your pictures, with the most recent ones being shown. I'm not going to scroll to find the picture, I've got thousands and I don't know where it is...

So it would be nice that when you touched the tile and entered the app, you would have at the bottom the group that's being shown currently on the tile, and above that, all the photos in chronology like we have now.

Has any one run into this frustrating interaction with the photo app?

I would hate that. I would rather it would be an option to have it work that way. Just more and more customization's that can satisfy everyone. I'm probably going to suggest that in insider. If more people suggest it it may get there attention.

Maxy12

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site

640 XL is more faster than 920, believe me I own both and speed improvement is very noticeable.
Regards

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Tell me how you think they should've done it then. Reachability is a pretty straightforward thing; it's hard NOT to copy that.

Besides, who cares? Companies are copying each others' ideas. So what. If anything, even if all the platforms have the same features and functionalities, Windows will STILL be different because of the Live Tiles.

No, I'm on build 10136 on my 1520 right now, and I tried to like and use that reachability feature..but I find it a pain, to tap and hold the start button just to reach that freaking Hambutton, then tap and hold again to restore the view; when you could just get there with a simple swipe, which was now removed.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
640 XL is more faster than 920, believe me I own both and speed improvement is very noticeable.
Regards

Yet I'm still seeing Resuming.... on 640 XL. In fact, I do see Resuming on a 1520 as well. The only difference is how fast it disappears / resume. Trust me, the Resuming thingy is the most frustrating thing on Windows Phone. It seems like every app will need to repaint themselves whenever they are being bring into focus. More like the OS fault than the devs.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm on build 10136 on my 1520 right now, and I tried to like and use that reachability feature..but I find it a pain, to tap and hold the start button just to reach that freaking Hambutton, then tap and hold again to restore the view; when you could just get there with a simple swipe, which was now removed.

This! Wouldn't it be better if they beefed up the ellipses menu instead?

Swipe from bottom edge anywhere in the OS. Consistent and does not conflict with panoramas

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yet I'm still seeing Resuming.... on 640 XL. In fact, I do see Resuming on a 1520 as well. The only difference is how fast it disappears / resume. Trust me, the Resuming thingy is the most frustrating thing on Windows Phone. It seems like every app will need to repaint themselves whenever they are being bring into focus. More like the OS fault than the devs.

I agree, definitely the OS xD

In real world usage I feel like the Lumia 1520 is only marginally faster than the 920/925.

Seems like there should have been a WP 9 dedicated to streamlining and optimizing the OS

estidi

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
1.My LG G3 has dual screen capabilty, same as the Note 4.

2. I believe he/she wanna say is that there is no stop button to clear the queue/now playing list.

Oh, I thought you meant like output on multiple monitors, my bad :p
Seeing as none of the Microsoft Lumia devices have screen larger than 5", I don't think it would be very useful.
Maybe if they launch 940 with 6" screen...

I see some people complaining about resuming screen.
Honestly, I'd rather see resuming with the loading animation rather than simply empty, black screen (some older Android devices) or straight up freezing the whole UI while loading (iOS). Although it wouldn't hurt if microsoft can tweak it to speed things up.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I thought you meant like output on multiple monitors, my bad :p
Seeing as none of the Microsoft Lumia devices have screen larger than 5", I don't think it would be very useful.
Maybe if they launch 940 with 6" screen...

I see some people complaining about resuming screen.
Honestly, I'd rather see resuming with the loading animation rather than simply empty, black screen (some older Android devices) or straight up freezing the whole UI while loading (iOS). Although it wouldn't hurt if microsoft can tweak it to speed things up.

Problem is, why are we seeing Resuming when apps are supposed to be tome-stoned in the background?? I can understand you seeing empty black screen on Android which is a pretty heavy OS just like a PC. But why on Windows Phone, which is suppose to be much resource friendly as compared to Android, but we are seeing the Resuming message?? The only reason I can think of is because the apps UI are always being redrawn whenever they are being put to the foreground. Hence it is taking time and displaying the Resuming. The apps are not loading information or whatsoever because I see apps like Messenger refreshes the chats AFTER the Resuming message. What a joke man!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05