The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You'd be amazed but most iOS devices can really only have about one tab open in Safari, and switching tabs forces the previous page to be reloaded.

Instead of the resuming screen (which I cant say I see a lot of), iOS apps flat out stop and you have to wait for the whole app to re load from scratch. I've had this on my 4S, and my iPad. $600 equipment rendered useless. Try copying text from Safari into OneNote. Absolute hell. I've never had to deal with that on Windows Phone thank god. I'll take the resuming screen any day.

What drives me bonkers in WP is OneNote. I love OneNote so much and the app on wp8.1 is so barebones. It is always open instantly though so I cant complain too much. I wish you could pin notebooks to the start screen like the tablet app.

Background Downloading in IE and other download apps. It doesn't exist and it means you have to stay on the download page before the task completes. You also can't open tabs in the background on IE which is stupid.

Tabs are now staying open for me on L1520 WP8.1 (Denim).

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Another thing that annoys me is that every time you reply to a text, the messaging app creates a new instance of the app in multitasking. So there could be multiple instances of the same app (even the same thread) in the multitasking view.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The fact they are giving Lumia apsp to non-Lumia phones....

Also I dislike the fact that we really cant customize our text messaging app...it is so blab and drab with just the colors. I would love to see transparency of our backgrounds there.

Hey cortana works when she feels like it,

CGA111

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
There is NO complete backup and Application backup is almost worthless as developers need to change something in their app to allow them to be backed up.

That means 95% of the games and apps that don't get updated will never see this. The other day, I installed WIn 10 by mistake (long story) and it completely screwed up my phone, I reinstalled 8.1 and restored, out of my 65 or so apps, not one restored it's settings. Completely worthless.

Wish Microsoft allowed app backup by choice, so I can pick a max of like 20 apps that can be backed up. So my most important ones, I can CHOSE to have them backup....

This is indeed incredibly retarded. And adding to the list:
-You can't disable the search button, I don't know how many times I have hit this freaking button by mistake and on top of this it takes you to a (at least in my country) useless search engine.
-No local network functionality, my PCs aren't visible from my phone and my phone isn't visible from my PCs.

Omar9399

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Need a define button
for example if there is a world that i can't understand just tap it press define to get the definition.

And a universal page up 👆 button which will work with all apps.

SumairB

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
One of the main things which bugs me is how emails in Mail and web pages in IE are rendered. When the mail/site has loaded fully, sometimes only the left half of the page shows. The other half doesn't show at all on swiping to the right (e.g. QuizUp website).

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
One of the main things which bugs me is how emails in Mail and web pages in IE are rendered. When the mail/site has loaded fully, sometimes only the left half of the page shows. The other half doesn't show at all on swiping to the right (e.g. QuizUp website).

Going off emails.....i hate that when I send a photo vis email people often time don't get it. I have to log onto the site to send it inline vs attachment

OR if you are trying to download an attachment, sometimes it will fail repeatedly until it randomly decides to download the attachment

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
1) You can't access the phone numbers on the SIM without importing them. This is extremely stupid and annoying. I use several different SIMs for different countries and they have different balance-checking and voicemail numbers that I don't want to have in my address book. Also, SIM cards often come loaded with spammy numbers (horoscope, sports hotline, traffic info, etc) that I don't want to have to weed out of Outlook.

2) There's no way to have WP reinstall your apps stored on an SD Card if you decide to change the card (such as the common scenario of putting in a bigger card). It doesn't know what to do. You have to reset.

3) The Photos, Video, and Music apps often do not "see" files that are already stored on an SD Card. There could be tens of gigabytes of music, pictures, and video, and these files will not appear in the apps and are treted as "Other" in Storage Sense. The file manager and VLC can see them fine. This has happened every single time I've switched phones or SD Cards or even just reset the phone. A workaround would be for these apps to have a "Search for files" option, but they do not.

4) You can't leave the phone switched off when you charge it.

5) You can't set a different music (etc.) app as the default.

6) Bluetooth Audio often doesn't work right, and will play the same random selection of MP3s in the same order, and you can't choose anything else.

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I really hate the double volume control introduced with 8.1. ow, when I want no sound coming from my phone, I have to check two bar instead of only one, that was simply, smarter.

When you try to share a pic, the resulting apps will depends on which app you're trying to share the pic from. For example, can't share a pic from the lumia camera app to whatsapp or messenger, but I can do it from the stock pictures app.

Oh and the Xbox Music app that came with 8.1 is unbelievable.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Need a define button
for example if there is a world that i can't understand just tap it press define to get the definition.

And a universal page up 👆 button which will work with all apps.

Not sure if you know but if you highlight a word then press the search button it searches it on bing, the top answer is normally a definition

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
  • no Background process for uploads (WP7 have this on PeopleHub, it's my favorite feature :'( ) and downloads
  • It was promised in WP8.1 that the people hub would support MORE apps integration..now we have annoying FB feeds, and no instagram integration on People (or is there?)

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Here's another one concerning Mail.
The only attachable file is pictures. I'm typing a mail and want to attach a document, tapping on the attach file button takes you to Photos Hub only.
A work around though (but this is dumb): Go to and open the file/document you want to attach or locate the file using Files/OneDrive (if stored in OneDrive) and from there tap on the share button and select Mail. This is a rather time wasting process and annoying.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you know but if you highlight a word then press the search button it searches it on bing, the top answer is normally a definition

This does not work everywhere on the phone. I think it works only on IE. Doesn't work on Mail. It doesn't even work here on WC app.

Lumio

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Absent of dark theme throughout the mail. If one types a new mail, it automatically brings back the white theme, which is irritating when you are typing in dark. If you can see in dark, you can type in dark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720