The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

Abrar ahamed

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
1) No long press to choose a list of Apps that can open a file or attachment 2) no slide/scroll bar in any app or IE 3) Annoying dialler pad during calls because whenever you want to take down a number or a note during a call you have open one note or messaging app which takes a long time and if you type thread number using the dial pad it just disappears after the conversation.

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I want to be able to set a home page in IE. I DO NOT want the previous page to come up when I open IE. give US this OPTION. PRETTY PLEASE. the ONLY work around is a pinned shortcut to a webpage on the start screen.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
For the people with taps instead of swipes...

Check sensitivity setting for touch if you are on a lumia phone! Set it from high to normal, should help with this problem... High is enabled to allow touch to work even with gloves so screen picks up fingers very fast when not wearing gloves.
I've already tried on my 1020, it still does it, it's the most noticeable when browsing through instagram. Now I have an HTC One M8 that doesn't even have the sensitivity option and it does it as well. It has to be related to the OS somehow.

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Skype on WP.... I hate that I have to tap on a contact's phone number and then hit the back button and then go back to the contact's phone number and then tap it again to ACTUALLY get Skype to dial the NUMBER... I have rebuilt my phone (for other reasons) and Skype acts the EXACT same way. tap on the number, hit the back button, go back to the contacts number, tap it again.. and VOLA ! it works...

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
idk if this was said but
1. music will stop completely if you happen to have a game music play instead of pausing
2. why is there no gif support
3. omg the settings took this long to be fixed

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Not really a "dumb thing", but a suggestion nonetheless. I think it would be great if instead of saying the app name to Cortana when we have her perform a certain task, there should be a list of default apps to which she would automatically launch if a certain comand is heard. For example,

No

Me: Fourquare, show me good restaurants in the area.

Yes

Me: Show me good restaurants in the area.
Cortana: Okay. Which app would you want me to open?
Me: Foursquare (assuming you also have Open Table installed).
Cortana: Do you want me to open this app by default?
Me: Yes.
Cortana: Okay.

This makes Cortana more natural and human and less like the pre-modern voice controls of WP7 and equivalent OSes.
I already made this suggestion to Cortana via its feedback; I would appreciate it if everyone who likes this idea does so as well. Maybe it could be implemented in Windows 10!

Last edited:

Vincentius Dalton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
My list:
1. You can't attach files other than pictures in the email app
2. You can't really "download" a PDF attachment (the file is gone after the PDF-reading app is closed)
3. You can't really "download" YouTube videos; the downloaded videos are sandboxed inside the app
4. Third-party camera app cannot be selected as default camera app
5. The tabs in Internet Explorer always reload when changing tabs

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The ability to specify a separate tone for phone calls, texts and emails PER CONTACT. You can do phone calls and texts, but not emails.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I said this one yesterday in a different thread, and I've brought it up before:

Get rid of the hardware Search button.

It's pressed more times accidentally than it ever is deliberately, it's redundant, and it would literally be better to have a blank space there than any kind of button. I'd hate it less if it was a button you had to depress, but a flat touch-responsive surface is not a good presence under the heel of the thumb.

Best thing ever with the M8. No hard search button. Never once accidently hit the search button on my M8. Use to do it all the time on the 8X.

Ibodnano

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft may consider giving me option 2 to swipe from right edge to the left to go back to homescreen.

Downloading in background whatever apps!

I don't really need all app page in start screen, please hide it somewhere or replaced it with card views

Skype sms, where are you?

Syed Rehman1

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Interesting thing happened yesterday. I opened IE on WP to download a 1 gb file.. The download began and I instantly press home button coz I remembered it doesn't download in background and 1 gb will like 4-5 hours because I don't have fast internet.. So I played a game and slept and next day when u opened IE the file downward completely and I even extracted it on PC to check..

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
No way to see which phone number a contact texted you from. For our school we have all the families contact info in an exchange account we all have access to, but that means several numbers per contact. If I get a text from a mom and need to call her, I tap her name and it shows me all the numbers associated with her account, as opposed to the one she used to text me.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
How difficult can it be to allow users for example to easily see date, time taken and size in the stock photo app. I don't want to open every individual photo in another damn app every time I want to see this data

Yes. This. I sometimes use photos to figure out what time of the day I was at a certain place, and to do that, I have to use something like Zoom photo viewer.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
​i hope a feature which is very important but being left out is for the phone to vibrate when a call is answered, this will enable the user not to constantly have to look at the screen when making a call or putting the phone at the ear listening or waiting for that hello from the other side.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12