The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Swipes mistaken as taps? Lumia 1520?

My 920 and 1020s were fine, the 1520 is terrible - and frustrating. I hope we get news soon as I am beginning to want an LG G4.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Swipes mistaken as taps? Lumia 1520?

My 920 and 1020s were fine, the 1520 is terrible - and frustrating. I hope we get news soon as I am beginning to want an LG G4.

Is it possible that you have high sensitivity turned on, and part of your palm is being detected on the edge of your phone?

LG G4 with the pleather cover is sexy

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I just read all 5 pages and I can't say there is a single thing in it that I find actually annoying or feel absolutely needs to be changed. At the same time, I can see how some of them would be welcome changes/additions and several of them have been addressed in W10 Mobile. e.g. In the Photos app you just swipe up to see all the metadata for a photo.

Other things, like accidentally opening search, feel much more device specific. I can remember a time when I used to do it fairly regularly but it hasn't happened for ages. I assume it's not a problem with the Lumia 925 or 830 because it isn't something I deliberately tried to stop doing myself. I've never had a problem with the tap/swipe thing, either.

What I find funny about some of the responses, though, is that people acknowledge that listening to user feedback has actually created some of these issues, yet those people still feel their voice needs to be heard.

frvo

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Horrible text editing. In WP8 you long pressed where you wanted to correct and it was very easy to get the cursor where you needed. Now in WP8.1 it is terrible! I don't know why they changed that!

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Horrible text editing. In WP8 you long pressed where you wanted to correct and it was very easy to get the cursor where you needed. Now in WP8.1 it is terrible! I don't know why they changed that!

Was nearly perfect wasn't it? There are so many instances where I tap and nothing happens...

In WP8 the cursor was visual feedback, and I'd know if it were my fault or not. Moreover, it just made sense.

xibartx

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
What I find funny about some of the responses, though, is that people acknowledge that listening to user feedback has actually created some of these issues, yet those people still feel their voice needs to be heard.

user feedback is a terrible thing when it is not MY voice dammit!!!

icemint

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine's here:

1. Can't create group contacts for group sms. (So frustrating)
2. No dual screen feature
3. Big home touch buttons bezel (eats too much screen space) when MS can get rid of it
4. Xbox Music sucks (no customization, missing functionalities, no recently added folder and the likes)
5. Some apps don't have their full features vis a vis their android versions like viber wechat and whatsapp

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine's here:

1. Can't create group contacts for group sms. (So frustrating)
3. Big home touch buttons bezel (eats too much screen space) when MS can get rid of it
4. Xbox Music sucks (no customization, missing functionalities, no recently added folder and the likes)
5. Some apps don't have their full features vis a vis their android versions like viber wechat and whatsapp

Viber and WhatsApp will never be universal apps either. Microsoft is trying to force Skype down our throats.

Is it a coincidence that Skype for WinRT is being dropped? Is it a coincidence that Skype is being integrated with OS. Hell, is it a coincidence that universal apps do not support background VoIP / dialer integration?

Too many coincidences Microsoft ;)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Didn't have time to read through everyone's responses, but these are the things that bug me on WP:

1. The Quick Actions in the notification panel are EXTREMELY limit! Wifi is available as a quick action, but Cellular is not.
2. Not sure if this has been changed, or if it's going to be changed in the near future, but Cortana needing 24/7 Location ON without any other option in order for the app to work was problematic for me.
3.The padding in the start screen has bugged me for years. Lol.

I do love that 3rd party YT apps can play videos in the background as you browse other apps on your phone.

wpbazaar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
No ability to stop music in the volume controls. Have to install a separate app.

Too many taps and inconsistencies in core functionality. I want to be able to long-press a text message recipient and bring up the contact instead of having to open the thread then long-press the contact name. I can do it from calls, why not texts?

estidi

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
​i hope a feature which is very important but being left out is for the phone to vibrate when a call is answered, this will enable the user not to constantly have to look at the screen when making a call or putting the phone at the ear listening or waiting for that hello from the other side.

Never heard of such features on any other phone.

Again, never heard of such features on any other phone. I think continuum on W10 will be some kind of dual screen.

No ability to stop music in the volume controls. Have to install a separate app.

I don't think there's any music app where you can stop the music (CMIIW), most of them just pause, and you can do that in volume controls.

fluffyowl

May 17, 2014
Visit site
In 8.1, I don't like how the word prediction takes a second to show suggestions. It's just a tad bit slow as compared to the iPhone which shows up instantly.

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
"Resuming": I wiped my L520 clean and reinstalled. Resuming and loading times reduced considerably. Some features slow it down a lot; Cortana is one of them. HTH

sugardad

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
My 5cents
1. I was happy to see the Inclusion of PPTP in VPN (10136) but not IPSEC XAUTH PSK which already is Supported in both iOS and Android and of course is more secure than PPTP
2. IE tabs that constantly reload...
3. You can attach from within mail app only Pictures, either you start by sharing a file first or forget it If you start writing your email first...
4. Apps and Games are in the main menu, I really enjoyed the previous state where games was part of the XBOX hub.
Background downloads from the Internet without the need to have the app always in focus.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Dumb thing? They copied Apple's 'reachablity' feature in Build 10136. I hope they could come up with something better..

Tell me how you think they should've done it then. Reachability is a pretty straightforward thing; it's hard NOT to copy that.

Besides, who cares? Companies are copying each others' ideas. So what. If anything, even if all the platforms have the same features and functionalities, Windows will STILL be different because of the Live Tiles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo