The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

Joshuaz20

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Running 8.1 on Lumia 830. I love my phone but these are my issues:
1. Can't set custom vibrate patterns for texts and emails. My texts and emails all use the same vibrate pattern. I have often missed important texts assuming the vibrate alert was notifying me of spam email. I heard that if you set all your tones to default, then the vibrate patterns are different, but I don't like the default. I would like to choose the vibrate patterns and tones please for emails and text separatly.
2. Cortana voice dictation does not support punctuation which I used all the time on my iphone.
3. Music player in landscape view has a super tiny music bar so if I want to scrub the song back 5-10seconds I always jump back 30sec to a minute. Very frustrating when I am practicing music with my phone and I want focus on a part of a song but cant scrub back 5 seconds.
4. Lock screen. I want to use pictures of my kids as lock screen and see the weather. Not just weather app or just photos and time.

Nitish Gongala

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
1) Annoying "Loading" and "Resuming" screen. For example, I could be composing a tweet about something I'm reading on IE but I wanted to glance at IE, while on Twitter (or any other Twitter app I'm using ATM) I press and hold the back button, swipe to IE (but not calling it up) then swipe back to Twitter and even though I actually didn't leave Twitter, the "Resuming" screen comes on! Sometimes lasting as long as 5-7 seconds. Meanwhile, has anyone noticed that Opera Mini does not resume? And you always get the exact page where you left off when you reopen the app even though it's been days since last use? It doesn't reload your page like IE does on opening (that that lying progress bar)

2) Windows Phone DOES NOT multitask.

3) Back up rarely works.

4) *someone has mentioned this* Executing swipes as taps

5) When I swipe down half from top to reveal just the action centre and maybe I change my mind and want to see my notifications, swiping down further does not work most times. Sometimes requires several attempts or just starting all over before it works.

I have more on list of things that bugs me about WP but I'll stop at this. I just wish these little annoying things are fixed cos I really love WP. Can't imagine switching to another OS.

I'm running a WP 8.1 Phone with 512MB of RAM and do get the "Loading" and "Resuming" screens while switching apps too,but not for 5-7 seconds. Maybe for 2-3 seconds. I don't think that can be helped.
I highly suggest switching to the UC Browser or the stock IE browser on your phone. Opera mini is quite buggy.
I really can multitask on my phone though,I don't think you should be having such problems on a Lumia 920. :/

The backup always works. It takes a while cuz it backs up your phone settings,apps installed and pretty much everything that you've customized. But,it always works.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
My issue is lack of openvpn. Good grief. A fully supported vpn line up is essential, for business and personal. I hope w10 sorts this out...

Don't worry. Despite the fact that HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of Windows Phones have sold WITHOUT all the apps and features of their competitors (because of the interface? the simplicity?), Microsoft will work on doing a shoddy port of those interfaces and keep leaving out those features. AGAIN.

/ranting and raving

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The annoying volume warning that lowers the volume on my headphones.

I would not be surprised if this annoying feature is added because it is required by law. Or to prevent lawsuit in the future from people with hearing problems who did "not know" that loud earphone levels could case hearing problems.
Or a real concern to prevent possible hearing problems of users.

Sab2468

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I hate how limited the lockscreen is. I mean theres nothing else than getting notifications and setting custom apps as the lockscreen. It'd be cool if we could get something more interactive or more unlocking/locking methods like on android else i'm happy with Windows Phone!

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
What I really found dump is that Display settings affects Lenses and photos apps, display setting leads to two different photos on my Lumia (which affected by display settings) and on my Vaio

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
What I really found dump is that Display settings affects Lenses and photos apps, display setting leads to two different photos on my Lumia (which affected by display settings) and on my Vaio
How is that dumb? It is EXACTLY what every other person on the face of the planet would expect. The display is how you look at photos so, of course, if you change the settings it will affect everything you look at on it, just as it would if you changed the display settings on your Vaio.

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Also why the the heck won't text that I copy simply stay put in the "clipboard" until I copy something else or power the phone off... I hate when I copy some text and then 5 minutes later there's nothing for me to paste... Like what the heck?!?!

I think this one is being fixed in W10. I have mine, and the clipboard remains there until you change it or restart the phone :)

titand

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
My biggest peev at the moment is the inability to force a sync of my pictures to my onedrive account retrospectively. How hard can it be to add some smarts to the app to do comparisons of the content in both places and sync up the missing ones. This should also be allowed to sync high res photo's over 3/4g mobile networks, not just WiFi networks as a lot of developed countries now have decent mobile data packs, or at least off the options to users please.

icemint

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
In addendum to my first post,

YOU CANT CREATE PHOTO FOLDERS/ALBUM IN THE GALLERY WITHOUT USING YOUR PC!!!
YOU CANT MOVE A PHOTO TO ANOTHER ALBUM WITHOUT USING YOUR PC!!!

Why make it complicated MS people!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos