The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
There was a big update for whatsapp a few days ago. Since then, i can also do it directly from screenshots album.
Other Apps have the same issues described before. For example IM+, 9gag or Facebook Messenger.

NaijaRookie

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
The over protective keyboard.

You can't swipe many normal words (that may have naughty meanings) because they won't come up as options, but you also can't add them to the dictionary because they are regular words that already exist, so every time you have to break from your swiping to type them in manually.

Like swiping for 'punk' will always give you 'pink'
'sucks' will give you 'ducks' or 'sticks'
'sexual' will give you 'serial', 'shall', 'asexual' but never sexual.

Why not just remove the "bad" words from the dictionary and allow the user to add them in if they want?

Last edited:

Schandmaul

May 1, 2015
Visit site
1. The keyboard censoring is really annoying since it constantly blocks regular expressions. There should be an option to turn this off.
2. Random reboots. I hope that the latest update finally got rid of them. Before the update, there were weeks without one reboot, but there were also many reboots happening on a single day with no discernable pattern. (Ativ S)
3. As far as I know there is no way of synchronising my profile picture across platforms. Shouldn't the "me page", Skype, Microsoft account, and the activated profile on my laptop (I log in with my MS acc) share the same picture automatically? Or are these seperate accounts/profiles after all?
4. Birthdays (from my contact list) randomly fail to synchronise. The only solution I found for this is to delete the whole birthday calendar and to make a new one which synchronises after its first activation.
5. The monthly limit for mobile data cannot be set precisely to the dates on which it is replenished since WP and my provider do not use the same amount of days for one month. It should be possible to link this to the counter of my provider or to manually set a duration. Luckily there is an official app from my provider, the WP mobile data app is useless for me.
6. Why is there still no tile which shows the charge of the battery, including the percentage? The data and storage apps are able to "flip", why not the battery app?
7. The xbox music app is not suitable to handle large music collections. It only displays covers if it feels like it, synchronisation takes ages, and there is a hard limit for albums per artist.
8. The office app... oh my gosh! Even on smartphones with large screens it is impossible to work on doc or docx files. It is barely usable to view the plain text of a file.
9. IE reloads the whole page if you switch between two tabs. Sometimes, if you try to zoom in on a webpage the whole page turns blank and has to be reloaded.
10. Concerning privacy, there is no global option to delete relevant data, like searches, cookies, and visited pages. You have to manually delete IE history and search history in two different places.
11. Unlocking is only possible with a 4-digit PIN. Why do the numbers light up when you punch in your code? It is extremely easy for the person sitting next to you on the bus to find out your unlock PIN.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
When looking at the list of previously installed/purchased apps in the Store, everything is presented in one long, unsearchable and unsortable list.

For example, I'd like to sort my list of 400+ previously installed apps for games, productivity apps, photography apps, demos, purchased apps, etc. as well as by date installed, file size, phone-only, universal app, etc. A search function for specific apps would also help.

(If this has been mentioned, sorry. I don't feel like reading 27 pages on my phone to find out.)

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
6. Why is there still no tile which shows the charge of the battery, including the percentage? The data and storage apps are able to "flip", why not the battery app?

The battery tile does flip to show the percentage. You need the Denim update on a Lumia phone (and not the "pseudo-Denim" many L830s came with). Not sure what the non-Lumia update name/number is though.

lB7EwRf.jpg

Last edited:

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

You can't swipe many normal words (that may have naughty meanings) because they won't come up as options, but you also can't add them to the dictionary because they are regular words that already exist, so every time you have to break from your swiping to type them in manually.

Why not just remove the "bad" words from the dictionary and allow the user to add them in if they want?

My phone seems to remember all my bad language after one use and offers it the next time. My language is a lot worse than yours too.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

My phone seems to remember all my bad language after one use and offers it the next time. My language is a lot worse than yours too.
It just needs to learn your bad language. How to swear like a champ using the Word Flow keyboard in Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Central

Mister-D

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
When looking at the list of previously installed/purchased apps in the Store, everything is presented in one long, unsearchable and unsortable list.

For example, I'd like to sort my list of 400+ previously installed apps for games, productivity apps, photography apps, demos, purchased apps, etc. as well as by date installed, file size, phone-only, universal app, etc. A search function for specific apps would also help.

(If this has been mentioned, sorry. I don't feel like reading 27 pages on my phone to find out.)

How would this be in any way helpful, though? Surely if you want to reinstall an app you've previously had you just search for it by name as you would any other app in the store?

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

You should feel lucky. W10 removes this feature and only lets you see purchased apps..No more reinstalling old free apsp in W10

Schandmaul

May 1, 2015
Visit site
The battery tile does flip to show the percentage. You need the Denim update on a Lumia phone (and not the "pseudo-Denim" many L830s came with). Not sure what the non-Lumia update name/number is though.

Thank you for letting me know! Unfortunately, there is no such update for my Samsung Ativ S. I don't know if it will be released eventually. :(

Concerning the "overprotective keyboard" issue: The posts about the learning feature are really informative. Thanks for this information, Laura.

Unfortunately, my phone had a random reboot today. So, speaking for the Ativ S, the latest update did not solve the issue.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
How would this be in any way helpful, though? Surely if you want to reinstall an app you've previously had you just search for it by name as you would any other app in the store?

That only works for popular apps. If you can't remember the name of an app and it's not popular, chances are it'll be hard to find. Worse, what if you can't remember what it looks like?

It especially irritates me that I can't find a way to view all the paid apps I own.

Last edited:

Mister-D

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
That only works for popular apps. If you can't remember the name of an app and it's not popular, chances are it'll be hard to find. Worse, what if you can't remember what it looks like?

If you can't remember the name of an app you can search for it by category. If you can't remember the name and can't remember what its logo looks like, I'd say that's an app that you never use. But still, you could search for it using some keywords about what the app does.

I honestly can't imagine a situation where I'd want a particular app back on my phone and wouldn't be able to find it in the store.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
If you can't remember the name of an app you can search for it by category. If you can't remember the name and can't remember what its logo looks like, I'd say that's an app that you never use. But still, you could search for it using some keywords about what the app does.

I honestly can't imagine a situation where I'd want a particular app back on my phone and wouldn't be able to find it in the store.

I'll give you an example. Take Pixel Heritage, an app that recreates the look of photos taken with old Nokia phones. Let's assume that I've forgotten the name. Any search including the keywords "Nokia" or "photography" brings up unrelated results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077