The Dumb things of Windows Phone OS

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've stopped using a Windows Phone device and returned to iOS about three months ago because these things just kept annoying me over and over again. At this point I have most likely forgotten a few things that drove me away from the platform, but the following I still remember. Vividly.

1. Tabs reorganizing in IE every time you switch from one to another, and reloading. Every. Single. Time!
  2. This was actually the one thing that annoyed me most: disastrous audio. With a headset connected through the headphone jack notification sounds are played on both headphones and speaker, yet the phone isn't ringing on speaker, only through the headphones. With a bluetooth headset connected it's exactly the other way around - phone ringing through both, headphones and speaker, yet notification sounds only via headphones.
  3. Skype is so much worse than on Android or iOS it saddens me. Never worked reliably in the background, it had to be the active foreground application and even then more often than not it didn't work when the phone was locked. This weirdness resulted in many missed Skype calls since even though according to Skype I was "online" yet my phone didn't ring when somebody tried to call me on Skype. I only saw the missed calls when I opened/resumed Skype.
  4. No "mute all sounds" button or feature comparable to the iPhone's switch on the left side. I've gotten so used to simply flipping that switch in meetings or other occasions when I don't want to be disturbed that to me it seems dumb for a smartphone not to have that feature.
  5. The back button is inconsistent throughout the OS. Sometimes it works as back button within an app, sometimes it closes the app, sometimes it freezes the app, sometimes it returns to a previously used app... I never really fully understood when to use it and when to better not use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Skype actually works better than on iOS. I always can be reached and the app does not to be active.

For mute all sounds I have a button in the notification tab.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
That's weird, I have yet to miss a Skype call on iOS due to the phone not ringing yet it happened constantly on Windows Phone 8.1 (both Lumia 635 and 830). I'm hoping for some of these things to improve with Windows 10 Mobile, we'll see. I've kept both phones around to give Windows 10 a closer look once it's released. Which, if the past Windows Phone updates are a hint as to what to expect from the Windows 10 Mobile update, will be somewhen between a year from now and never.

Schandmaul

May 1, 2015
Visit site
  1. This was actually the one thing that annoyed me most: disastrous audio. With a headset connected through the headphone jack notification sounds are played on both headphones and speaker, yet the phone isn't ringing on speaker, only through the headphones. With a bluetooth headset connected it's exactly the other way around - phone ringing through both, headphones and speaker, yet notification sounds only via headphones.

Yeah, I also noticed weird behaviour of my phone when it comes to sound levels. I connect my phone to the radio of my car through the headphone jack and when I forget to switch off the message sounds and receive a text message or a call, the volume of the music playing at that time suddenly turns really low. It seems as if the phone can't decide which sound it wants to play over which speaker and opts for creepy near-silence.

Last edited by a moderator:

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Getting discontinued by MS sometime this fall I think. The web service will supposedly stay online for now. in a continuing effort to, err...

synergize alignments, value-added, customer facing, hard choices, mobile first, blah blah blah.

From "embrace, extend, extinguish" to "delight, entrap, disappoint".

I tried to get it from the store yesterday but its already gone..so sad..

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett