No Skype for WindowsPhone?

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I've received an email stating that there will be no more Skype app for windows phone. Is that true? I really love Skype phone app. If this isn't available anymore it might make me to move onto other platforms for other possible IM.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't make much sense since Skype is owned by MS. Unless they're changing it's name.

Can you post a copy of the email? I haven't seen anything about it so far. Might be fake.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I had read where the Universal App was being pulled in favor of the Desktop app, and that only a desktop app would be available for Skype. I was assuming this was just for the PC version. There was no mention in that article on how that would affect phones, and I really don't know why Microsoft would refuse to do a universal app for something, especially since they are doing the entire office over as Universal Apps that are touch friendly. The way Microsoft has held fast to Windows Phone and bringing it into the fold with Windows 10, I can't see MS giving up on a universal app for Skype.

Wish I could find that link to what I was reading, but it could have been more garbage being disseminated, so I never passed it along. Could have been written by someone getting such an email without verifying the story.

Since Microsoft hasn't made any such announcement that I am aware of, I'd say let's wait and hear from Microsoft before any real judgments are made here. If someone has a link for such an announcement, I would love to read it.

I must say, however, that I have been unable to get Skype downloaded and installed in my Windows 10 TP for mobile on my Lumia 635 so far. Wait, just tried it again and it finally installed successfully. Yay! Looks like it has just been updated, though, so perhaps it was to fix the download issue for W10TP. Kind of makes me think MS hasn't given up, if they are fixing it like that.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that might be what the person is referring to (the metro app for WIndows 8). Perhaps there was some confusion...
I had read where the Universal App was being pulled in favor of the Desktop app, and that only a desktop app would be available for Skype. I was assuming this was just for the PC version. There was no mention in that article on how that would affect phones, and I really don't know why Microsoft would refuse to do a universal app for something, especially since they are doing the entire office over as Universal Apps that are touch friendly. The way Microsoft has held fast to Windows Phone and bringing it into the fold with Windows 10, I can't see MS giving up on a universal app for Skype.

Wish I could find that link to what I was reading, but it could have been more garbage being disseminated, so I never passed it along. Could have been written by someone getting such an email without verifying the story.

Since Microsoft hasn't made any such announcement that I am aware of, I'd say let's wait and hear from Microsoft before any real judgments are made here. If someone has a link for such an announcement, I would love to read it.

I must say, however, that I have been unable to get Skype downloaded and installed in my Windows 10 TP for mobile on my Lumia 635 so far. Wait, just tried it again and it finally installed successfully. Yay! Looks like it has just been updated, though, so perhaps it was to fix the download issue for W10TP. Kind of makes me think MS hasn't given up, if they are fixing it like that.

Igor_BL

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Could Skype adopt phone number as identification in addition to Skype name, so it could easily synchronize with address book? Also availability to send classical SMS with Skype credit would be very useful.

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
skype.PNG

If I am not allowed to access windows phone Skype app, then it will be hard to use a WP as of now. I stay connected with my family all the time.

That's the "note" at bottom where it says I won't be able to Skype. I doubt if that either contains video calling feature or any kind of restrictions ahead.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 106755

If I am not allowed to access windows phone Skype app, then it will be hard to use a WP as of now. I stay connected with my family all the time.

That's the "note" at bottom where it says I won't be able to Skype. I doubt if that either contains video calling feature or any kind of restrictions ahead.

It mentions the Modern app, but not the Mobile app. I'm guessing it means that you won't be able to use the app on the desktop. You'll have to use the desktop app. I doubt the WP version is going away, since the desktop app is not an option there. I'd be very surprised if they drop access completely on WP.

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Now, I am getting a clear idea. If I am right, they mean they want only "Universal" Skype app that too from Windows Store but not the old DESKTOP version. They are mentioning in that way, as most of the users are still on Windows 7, hence they might be referring that "Windows 8 device= laptop 8.1 OS installed"

It mentions the Modern app, but not the Mobile app. I'm guessing it means that you won't be able to use the app on the desktop. You'll have to use the desktop app. I doubt the WP version is going away, since the desktop app is not an option there. I'd be very surprised if they drop access completely on WP.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If I am right, they mean they want only "Universal" Skype app that too from Windows Store but not the old DESKTOP version.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Microsoft recently announced that as of July 7, only the desktop version of Skype would be available. The Skype app in the Windows Store will no longer be available, and I don't believe it will work even if you already have it installed. As far as I know, nothing has been said about the WP app. I'm assuming it will remain, since the desktop app does not work on WP.

This all boils down to not have a universal app for Skype.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... They are simply talking about Windows in the email. It never says Phone or Mobile.

On desktop, I simply use the Skype integrated into my Outlook email and keep that open in a tab on my browser... I don't even use an App on my laptop. Tablet is where I need the App.

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
From what I've read on a few sites, Microsoft is building Skype into the OS via the new Messaging app in Windows 10. You'd be able to place traditional Skype video calls and conduct Skype chats through the Messaging app on phones. But on desktop it's the traditional app. Which when you think about it makes no frigging sense whatsoever. Like I said in another post, I really hope Microsoft realizes what a huge mistake this is and just rebuilds Skype for Windows 10 as a true universal app.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

AbsoluteSith

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
From what I've been hearing in the news, the windows store app for Skype will be removed and only the win32 based app will be available for the desktop. But Microsoft has promised that there will a win10 based app which they will be working on. But this does not concern Skype for windows phone and we recently received updates for Skype. If anything in near future after release of win10 for phones we might get a Skype with a new look.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb