Is there a way to call a contact by pressing the numbers on the dial pad corresponding to the letters in the name?

K Ramanujam

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Call a number

I have a Micromax Win 121 phone with Windows 8.1.

There are four options to call a number from the Phone application.
  1. Select from Speed Dial - if the number is on Speed Dial. This is restricted to 20 numbers.
  2. Search the Call History- this is limited to numbers on the Call History. If you search and find the contact is not there, then you go to the next option.
  3. Press 'Phone Book' icon and then the 'Search' icon on the new screen that shows up.
  4. Dial the number - if you have the number with you or can recall it.
When the number of contacts is large, the procedure is painful.

Is there a way to call a contact by pressing the numbers on the dial pad corresponding to the letters in the name? For instance, to call John, I should be able to press 5646 and John shows up as one of the options, from which I can select. I have used this feature on some other platform.

If it is not possible, why are the letters shown on the dial pad?

Or can't the Search feature on the Phone application search the entire phone book instead of searching only the Call History?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Call a number

Nope.

That feature you are talking about to type the persons name is smart dialing. It Is available on other platforms and will be available to Windows Phone with Windows 10 Mobile.

The search function can only search the call history. It's painful, we know.

The best option is to pin those most frequently contacted to your start screen.

Manindra Singh

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: Call a number

I have a Micromax Win 121 phone with Windows 8.1.

There are four options to call a number from the Phone application.
  1. Select from Speed Dial - if the number is on Speed Dial. This is restricted to 20 numbers.
  2. Search the Call History- this is limited to numbers on the Call History. If you search and find the contact is not there, then you go to the next option.
  3. Press 'Phone Book' icon and then the 'Search' icon on the new screen that shows up.
  4. Dial the number - if you have the number with you or can recall it.
When the number of contacts is large, the procedure is painful.

Is there a way to call a contact by pressing the numbers on the dial pad corresponding to the letters in the name? For instance, to call John, I should be able to press 5646 and John shows up as one of the options, from which I can select. I have used this feature on some other platform.

If it is not possible, why are the letters shown on the dial pad?

Or can't the Search feature on the Phone application search the entire phone book instead of searching only the Call History?

Install True Dialer that would solve your problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos