The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Being a complete newbie with smartphones and also my Lumia 640XL, I'm a little confused about exactly how 'XBox Music' works? Am I right in saying it is part of my MS account, simular to the Store, for buying and downloading music/audio?

As a musician who owns a small music studio, I can say I am old school and will never want to download any music from anywhere! (Most people consume, buy and play music - I create it!) I have 1000's of various MP3's stored safely elsewhere, and also on my PC.

I am not clear, but I think I do not have an active XBox account yet. Do I need to disable/uninstall XBox from my phone? The only thing I ever want to do, is use USB to upload my own mp3 files to my phone and play them through whatever music player is installed on my phone. I am also unclear about what app plays music/audio on a default set windows 8.1 update 2 phone? Can anyone help?

I do not want to ever use Cloud storage, which is why I ask about these things here, rather than risk triggering activating my 'Cloud'!

Twitawoo!

BlueOwl.
    Last edited by BlueOwl245; 06-23-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling mistake ('think' instead of 'thing')
    06-23-2015 04:36 PM
    You can plug your phone into your computer using your USB cable that came with the phone. You can then transfer music files to the Music folder. Xbox Music (a player) will recognize the files on your phone and you'll be able to play them through the app. You can also download other music apps from the store that will recognize your files on the phone. If you're wanting to have a lot of music files (like yours 1000s, for example), you'll want to put microSD card in your phone for expanded storage and transfer the files to a Music folder on the microSD card. You can purchase microSD cards up to 128GB currently... Hope this helps you better understand.
    You can plug your phone into your computer using your USB cable that came with the phone. You can then transfer music files to the Music folder. Xbox Music (a player) will recognize the files on your phone and you'll be able to play them through the app. You can also download other music apps from the store that will recognize your files on the phone. If you're wanting to have a lot of music files (like yours 1000s, for example), you'll want to put microSD card in your phone for expanded storage and transfer the files to a Music folder on the microSD card. You can purchase microSD cards up to 128GB currently... Hope this helps you better understand.
    BlueOwl245 and xandros9 like this.
    06-23-2015 05:05 PM
    Weaverly, yes thanks very much! So, it really IS as simple as I first thought, and "XBox Music" is also a player as well. I have a nice big 64Gb SD card in my Lumia phone (and I am even debating on buying a massive 128Gb card taking storage to a maximum, because I also love photography)! For years, I have use Windows Media player for simple mobile playback like most other people. (We musicians may love our complex synths and sequencers, but we also love simplicity!)

I will look into alternative uncomplicated apps that only playback files (so long as they do not upload them from the phone too).

So, as long as I do not CREATE a new XBox account (and therefore start using one by buying music downloads), I do not need to worry about disabling or uninstalling anything on my lumia phone?

BO245.
    Last edited by BlueOwl245; 06-23-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Ooops! Forgot to include one point..!
    06-23-2015 05:18 PM
    Weaverly, yes thanks very much! So, it really IS as simple as I first thought, and "XBox Music" is also a player as well. I have a nice big 64Gb SD card in my Lumia phone (and I am even debating on buying a massive 128Gb card taking storage to a maximum, because I also love photography)! For years, I have use Windows Media player for simple mobile playback like most other people. (We musicians may love our complex synths and sequencers, but we also love simplicity!)

I will look into alternative uncomplicated apps that only playback files (so long as they do not upload them from the phone too).

So, as long as I do not CREATE a new XBox account (and therefore start using one by buying music downloads), I do not need to worry about disabling or uninstalling anything on my lumia phone?

BO245.
    You don't have to create a n xBox account. If you ever want to purchase music from the store, all you need is your Microsoft account password. Assuming that you've linked a credit card to such account. Then, you'll be able to not only play that purchased music with the xBox app, but also download it to any of your windows devices if you have more. You won't be able to uninstall apps such as xBox because they're considered "Core" apps.
    BlueOwl245 likes this.
    06-23-2015 07:13 PM
    Ah I see. So XBox 'Music' can be considered a 'core' app... an unremovable one? OK, now I understand. I wish MS made it crystal clear to us new user exactly what apps and features are 'core' ones which cannot be removed! It would made devices easier to understand.

Thank you my friend :o)

Twitawoooo to you :o)

BlueOwl245
    06-24-2015 06:55 AM
    BlueOwl,

You may like the UI in ModernMusic better. https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...4a?signin=true
    BlueOwl245 likes this.
    06-24-2015 11:49 AM
    Hello I think you will like

Audiobit Music Player
    Love it !!!

Regards,

Johan
    BlueOwl245 likes this.
    06-24-2015 01:31 PM
    Thanks you all for your kind suggestions. A little hoot to you all :o)
    Does Modern Music or Audiobit need to use OneDrive cloud, or can this be switched off?
    06-25-2015 06:23 PM
    I don't stream music. All mine is on an SD card and ModernMusic handles it fine. The only cloud function I've ever been aware of is sending your play activity to Last.FM for Scrobbling and that can be toggled off in settings.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Last.F...ZI&form=MOZLBR
    06-25-2015 08:17 PM
    Hello,

Audiobit player does not need onedrive.
    I play everything from my SD card.
    No streaming.
    Maybe there are better players but I like this one.
    Only thing I miss is playing flac files.

Regards,
    06-26-2015 03:39 AM
    Hello,

Audiobit player does not need onedrive.
    I play everything from my SD card.
    No streaming.
    Maybe there are better players but I like this one.
    Only thing I miss is playing flac files.

Regards,
    ModernMusic plays FLAC.
    06-26-2015 09:42 AM
    OK, thank you for your suggestions. I will try them both. So long as they only work from SD card then they sound great (no pun intended).

Blue Owl.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    06-27-2015 06:54 AM