Closing OneDrive ...?

BlueOwl245

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Question: I do not like Cloud / One Drive storage, and I want to minimise 'cloud computing' data.
On my Lumia 640XL (with update 2), If I go to: Settings - Battery Saver - Usage, I see that OneDrive is currently "allowed" to run in system background.

IF i tap OneDrive here, and switch OFF, my question is what apps/functions will still run normally?

By "normally", I mean continuing with at least basic functionality and running at all (as opposed to maximum potential functionaility)?

BO245

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
You can do it but the function of back up your apps+settings and upload photos will not happen in the back ground so on your case this is no problem.

BlueOwl245

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
OK Harrie, thanks. So because I do not want any settings or media backed up to cloud, there is no harm in stopping OneDrive running in the background? And more importantly, this will not affect anything else important on my phone?

Blue Owl.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
OK Harrie, thanks. So because I do not want any settings or media backed up to cloud, there is no harm in stopping OneDrive running in the background? And more importantly, this will not affect anything else important on my phone?

Blue Owl.

Indeed.
You choose not to use Onedrive so not syncing is not important for you.
IE still will work, if you play a game it still will work if you send a email it still will work etc.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It will still back up your contacts whether you like it or not. I haven't found a way to get rid of that. Highly annoying.

BlueOwl245

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree jsooney, that is indeed a very annoying thing about WP 8.1. Not that I have any great secrets sitting in my contacts at the moment... but all the same, I think it would have been more respectful if MS had left People/Contacts on board the phone only, but this much we will have to live with I guess.

Those amongst us, who once suffered a very financially costly cyberattack, might appriciate old fashioned values (like keeping more private data, private) like mine.

Thanks,

BO245.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb