Using phone w/o a SIM card: how to remove the "SIM card error"?

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to recycle my ATIV S a gaming/multimedia device for the kids.
Is there a way to remove the "SIM card error" message when the phone starts? (i don't want them to make an emergency call). I tried the plane mode without success.

Thx.

JP

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Laws that are in place require phone manufacturers to make sure that emergency services are always available. There is no way to completely disable calling emergency services.

A small tablet would be a better option for the kids, but I certainly understand you wanting to recycle currently owned technology. It's what I would want to do.

If they are old enough to figure out how to use it as a gaming/multimedia device, then they are probably old enough not to dial emergency services unless it is really an emergency when taught to do so.

I don't know the age of your children, but if they are old enough to be taught and know better, I'd just "give them the rules" and make sure they follow them. Who knows, if they are home when a robber breaks in, you may be glad they can call emergency services. If they are too young, then they really shouldn't be using it while not supervised anyway.

My 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Just put an old expired/decommissioned SIM in there. The error message is just because there isn't one, doesn't have anything to do with whether it's active.

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advices. My daughter is old enough to read and understand the screen message but the youngest one (5y) is not. My plan is to give my previous phone to my daughter without cell feature (if possible) and then she will share the kid corner with her brother. The SIM card error is not a real issue but I prefer slick setup. I will try a used SIM card (or maybe a prepaid card, don't know yet).
And yes, maybe a tablet would be better but I don't throw away my electronic devices unless they are broken beyond repair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos