My wife's 1020 has had terrible battery life for a while now (needing to charge it 3x a day), so I bought a new OEM battery for it but it hasn't helped at all. Is there a way I can calibrate it or something in case it's not getting the correct reading?
    07-21-2015 12:37 PM
    I have a laptop that has an application installed that allows a "gauge reset" for the battery, to keep it accurate.

This isn't always available on a given platform. To do a manual gauge reset for a Li-Ion Battery, you need to understand how it works.

There is a controller in the phone itself that tells you about the battery status. This controller is expecting the same type of information. It can be reset in pretty much all li-ion batteries the same way, by depleting the battery to an extremely low level (go below 10 percent), then charging it to full. Do this 3 or 4 times, and it should reset and readings should become more accurate.

In addition to resetting the gauge, it will reset the circuitry within the battery to actual limits and it will have a more efficient charge/discharge cycle.

I recommend doing a battery depletion and recharge once per month, as it will prolong the life of the battery.

CAUTION: Never completely discharge a li-ion battery! Doing so will prevent it from being recharged! The battery must have a little bit of a charge for the charging circuitry in the device to recognize it and charge it. Even if you're using an external charger, that external charger needs to recognize the battery, which it can't do if it has zero charge. Never allow the battery to become 100% depleted.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-21-2015 02:30 PM
    I have a laptop that has an application installed that allows a "gauge reset" for the battery, to keep it accurate.
    I'd refrain from using that battery gauge reset app from lenovo. It destroyed my new laptop's battery capacity from 99.7% to 80.9%.
    Lenovo hardware is pretty good to taken care of itself w/o any SW. I calibrate my battery every month by charging it fully then discharging all the way to 10%, switch off the PC and then let it charge. Otherwise, just set battery charge to stop @60% for optimized battery health to last a lifetime(pun intended). I'm glad that Windows PCs don't start up while charging though.
    08-03-2015 10:12 AM
    I'd refrain from using that battery gauge reset app from lenovo. It destroyed my new laptop's battery capacity from 99.7% to 80.9%.
    Lenovo hardware is pretty good to taken care of itself w/o any SW. I calibrate my battery every month by charging it fully then discharging all the way to 10%, switch off the PC and then let it charge. Otherwise, just set battery charge to stop @60% for optimized battery health to last a lifetime(pun intended). I'm glad that Windows PCs don't start up while charging though.
    I do believe that's good advice. I have discovered that Lenovo's "Engergy Manager" was one of the 2 sources of BSOD I was experiencing. The other source was a buggy BIOS, which was finally updated.

Currently, no Lenovo software running on my Windows 10 upgrade. Happy that way.
    08-03-2015 11:11 AM
    I do believe that's good advice. I have discovered that Lenovo's "Engergy Manager" was one of the 2 sources of BSOD I was experiencing. The other source was a buggy BIOS, which was finally updated.

Currently, no Lenovo software running on my Windows 10 upgrade. Happy that way.
    Of course, I didn't say I uninstalled Lenovo Energy Mgmt SW, I still have it installed. I made a mistake while installing SW that came from Lenovo driver CD, downloaded SW optimized for win 7 and now no more crashes. But, never use battery gauge reset option present in Lenovo Energy Manager SW.
    08-04-2015 04:45 AM
    Of course, I didn't say I uninstalled Lenovo Energy Mgmt SW, I still have it installed.
    I just found on my model, there is nothing in it I need that I can't already do under Windows already, or by exercising common sense. ;)
    08-04-2015 08:12 AM
    I just found on my model, there is nothing in it I need that I can't already do under Windows already, or by exercising common sense. ;)
    So, you charge your battery to 100% always?
    08-06-2015 12:28 PM
    No, not 100% always. Only if I'm headed out and need the full charge, which isn't often. I just watch the battery levels and charge/discharge appropriately.
    08-06-2015 02:19 PM