Huge flaw in all newish Windows Phones - GPS

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Experiencing a major issue - that I believe is connected with WP 8.1 and Denim. Simply stated - GPS doesn't work with any third-party applications.

Initially saw this with a Lumia 830. Here Drive, Copilot and other GPS apps keep dropping GPS during driving. I made sure all updates applied. Tried hard and soft resets. Made sure location services turned off - but still - the 830 would initially get a location - but it will freeze after a short time. The default Microsoft-made Maps app works - but that doesn't provide real-time turn-by-turn voice navigation.

I figured it was just a conflict with AirWatch or other software my company required.

But then - my wife just got a Lumia 640 (Cricket) and is having the exact same issue. Here, Copilot and other third party apps cannot find and reliably hold a GPS signal good enough for driving directions.

Intrigued, I downloaded the highly recommended (on this forum) "Hardware Tests" app - to test the GPS. On both the 830 and the 640 the GPS test says "Position source: WiFi" - accuracy 115m - NOT satellite.

Ironically - our daughter's Lumia 520 works great for driving navigation an in hardware tests shows satellite.

Thinking this affects newer handsets on "denim." Could someone else test their 640 or 830s or recent Verizon 7 series to see if this issue is widespread. I think it is.

Thanks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Some RM-983 owners are saying they have GPS issues over in the 830 forum... May be a bad build on that variant. IDK what to say about Cricket 640 as I've not followed it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, this is interesting. I have a 640 (T-Mobile Variant) and I would have to test this with Here Drive when I am going out next. I am going somewhere tonight (a short distance though, like 15 minutes) so I can test this and report back later.

Edit: I have turned location off in settings for maps, have updated maps, and we'll see how it is. I'll either edit this post again or make a new post in this thread.

Edit2: I didn't run into the issue you guys seem to be having, even when I purposely went off course from the GPS directions. In those cases, it quickly adjusted to direct me to the right course.

Last edited:

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for testing this. Could someone run Hardware Tests apps and report back what the GPS test indicates the source and accuracy to be?

Thanks everyone!

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had lots of Gps problems with my icon(929). I tested the hard ware twzt app and it said, satelite, but I have as well had an issue with it freezing. Especially if I am using the gps, go off the app and cone back sometimes it had frozen.

The biggest issue I have with Here Drive though myself or any mapping program (and it may just be the 928 & 929 that have these problems is that the car or arrow representing the car doesn't immediately move when you turn the phone like in the iOS counter parts app. So if I am turning it doesn't turn immediately fluidly, it is a more abrupt turn and it's like it is expecting me to turn but get confused if I don't instead of just following what my actual car does.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
It seems like the GPS in my Icon isn't that great, When using maps in bad cell coverage areas, it does not get my location, or is very slow. This is even before the 8.1 update. If I get around to it i'll test it.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The 8.1 update, are you talking about you still have 8 not 8.1? Because the newest update to 8.1 itself doesn't fix any of those issues.

You had stated on your original post you thought it was happening with the 8.1/Denim, I was just saying my Icon's GPS has always been weak, even on 8.0/Cyan.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Your phone needs access to the sky... , so on the dash is preferred... Depending on your physical location (in the car and in the world), you may not been in view of a enough satellites...

I have not had an issue with any of my phoes (900, 920, 1420, 635, or the new 640) which are all att ... Make sure your maps are downloaded, turn off Wi-Fi and data, then try to use the apps... Let it solely work off the gps and see... Just for testing.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I didn't state that on my post. I've always had the problems on both my icon and my 929. I'm not the original poster I'm someone agreeing that these problems exist.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Your phone needs access to the sky... , so on the dash is preferred... Depending on your physical location (in the car and in the world), you may not been in view of a enough satellites...

I have not had an issue with any of my phoes (900, 920, 1420, 635, or the new 640) which are all att ... Make sure your maps are downloaded, turn off Wi-Fi and data, then try to use the apps... Let it solely work off the gps and see... Just for testing.

Sadly that is not the solution to the problems we have been facing.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I was thinking about the possibility that the Icon is slow switching from cellular/ WiFi to the GPS. My last phone, a BlackBerry Q10, had a great GPS, in fact I had ViewRanger (a mapping GPS app that's sadly not available on Windows Phone), and it worked as well as my handheld Garmin 76S does!

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Yep. GPS connectivity is as bad it's Bluetooth on all of my 830 Lumias. It's simply a poorly built/designed phone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte