Lumia 640XL or 830 or wait till October?

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
My lumia 625 just broke down today tp the point where getting it repaired is not feasible anymore so I've decided to go for a new phone. The options under my budget (which is INR 25000 or around 380$). I could not decide what phone to buy among the Lumia 830 or the Lumia 640XL or whether I should wait till October where Microsoft is scheduled to launch several new phones. Now I know that I'll not be able to buy lumia 940 or 940XL but i somewhere saw that the lumia 840 is also scheduled to release along with the flagship phones. Will it be wise to wait until then as I'm not sure that even IF Lumia 840 launches, will it fit in my budget? Secondly if I'm going to buy one of these right now then what should i go for? The lumia 640XL or lumia 830? I want to be able to click great selfies while secondary camera doesnt make much of a difference to me. I'm thorough with specs of both the phones and i know y'all would recommend me 640XL but there's more. I really love the premium looks of lumia 830 and 640XL is nowhere close to the looks of 830. I really like its flagship like looks. Now I'm in a draw. Please suggest guys what option should I go for?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's a tough decision. I would say wait until October but I don't recall hearing that a non-flagship phone will be released in October either. Only the flagships are confirmed to come then. You could be waiting for the other phone until next year. If you are able, you should wait until then.

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
As an owner of a 830 you do get all the features of a flagship plus the price has come down considerably but as far as for selfies its def a no go its front facing camera is atrocious. 0.9 pixels I think. Other than that its excellent just get the unlocked version if you live in the US

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
As an owner of a 830 you do get all the features of a flagship plus the price has come down considerably but as far as for selfies its def a no go its front facing camera is atrocious. 0.9 pixels I think. Other than that its excellent just get the unlocked version if you live in the US

Really is that front camera so bad?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Really is that front camera so bad?

I have a 640 that also has a 0.9MP front camera, and it really isn't bad. The camera on the XL is better though, at 5MP. It does the job. At night/low light situations, pictures can have a bit of noise.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, high-level flagships are to be expected in October. low- to mid-level phones should come a bit after that.

Both the 830 and the 640XL are midrange phones, but the 830 is a bit closer to a premium phone. It's like a blend of the Icon/930 and 1020, both great phones. I can't give you any help when it comes to the front camera - I wouldn't mind if the phone didn't even have a front camera. The back shooter is what I want.

Long story short, get the 830.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Between 640xl and 830 I will go with 830,for sure. Premium device and better camera, and more compact. But, in your place I would wait till the October or so to see if 840 or something simillar will come out. Meanwhile get the second hand 735 to play with. You can tell it later for same money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky