I converted my old WP8.1 into a dedicated bedside device

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My daily driver is a Lumia Icon. It's currently running the Windows Mobile 10 preview. Meaning it has no glance, & an inconsistent/buggy alarm app.

Which got me thinking, why would I use my Icon as my alarm if it's buggy? Why would I want to look at my Icon's screen in the morning when it has no glance to soothe my eyes? Why would I want to look at a device rife with text messages, emails, and other notifications first thing in the morning? That's not a good way to wake up.

So I converted my old Lumia 822 to a dedicated bedside device. It's simple and useful. It has glance, a killer battery, and it's the perfect size for viewing first thing in the morning.

Glance with night mode enabled is perfect for a quick time check when I wake up randomly at 3am before letting my bed hit the pillow again in relief.

wp_ss_20150908_0001.png
The lock screen displays the time, weather. And without any Windows 10 Technical Preview lag!

wp_ss_20150908_0002.png
The start screen is simple. Cortana for setting reminders. Blue Skies for the forecast so I know whether or not it's a good time to get up and take my dog for a walk or a run. Battery saver so I know if I should place it on the charger before going to bed. The functional built in alarm app. And the Calendar so I know what's on the agenda.

And that's it.

So in case you were wondering what to do with an old WP8 you have sitting around, this may be a good option!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's smart thinking.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Won the Internet.jpg
    Won the Internet.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 47

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Or an old unused phone can be recommisioned as a dedicated music/MP3 player, mobile gaming device, or what I use my very old iPhone 4 for, a dedicated midi controller that I use with one specific app that controls modulation (like an expression pedal - think: WahWah pedal) for my guitar apps on my iPad. Yep, the old iPhone 4 lays on the floor, and I control the midi controller app with my big toe! :D

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Or an old unused phone can be recommisioned as a dedicated music/MP3 player, mobile gaming device, or what I use my very old iPhone 4 for, a dedicated midi controller that I use with one specific app that controls modulation (like an expression pedal - think: WahWah pedal) for my guitar apps on my iPad. Yep, the old iPhone 4 lays on the floor, and I control the midi controller app with my big toe! :D

So the once $600 device is now exclusively touched by your toes 😄

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have tried using a low end android phone and Here maps app as a dedicated GPS device... didn't work out that well for obvious reasons, so i will get the 520 instead and pretty sure will work fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05