Windows phone to Android or IOS ?

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Windows phone 8 from last 2 years and now I am getting a feeling that other operating systems are becoming more and more relevant as well as gaining all attention and popularity. Off late I am getting a bad feeling that Windows will remain in the back foot due to its very late entry into the phone segment. The app quality and availability has not been so great with windows phone. Now I am in a stage where I have no more faith in the windows ecosystem in future . Windows 10 mobile promises many things but still I am not sure if that's a worthy upgrade compared to android or ios. I am sure there are people who have made the switch already and would love to hear from them on going forward with the right mobile OS given 2 years of windows phone background and no major usage of android or ios till now.

BluWarrior

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I see where your coming from, and if you don't like feeling behind don't hesitate to switch. But I'd keep your windows phone around, and try out 10 because there are 2 things that should help it a lot. 1) with windows 10 its easy to write the same app for phones tablets and desktops without changing the code, since windows computers and tablets are popular that might help. Also Microsoft is making tools to port over android and iPhone apps easily so that also might help. Definitely don't hesitate to make your phone experience great even if that means changing platforms, but if u like the windows os definitely keep a phone around,load 10 mobile on it and see if it gets better.

Hope this helps!

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I use both of them, they both have their advantages but they also have their downsides.
Its not the os what counts but what you are intended to use it for in matter of apps.
I got on wp all the apps i need on a phone, but the same thing counts for android ( can't speak for ios ).
Because i have on both platforms all the apps i need, i can safely jump ship.
So the main reason what keeps me on this platform is the stability and the " oddness " of wp.
And i like the looks and feels of the os.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you're able to do so, I'd suggest keeping your Windows Phone around and trying Windows 10 Mobile Technical Preview on it after getting a used Android or iPhone. You might find a good deal on the AndroidCentral or iMore Marketplace forums. Members might have used devices for sale, since a lot of people recently updated to new models. That way you could try out Android or iOS. If you don't like it, you could sell that device and get a new Windows 10 Mobile device later this fall when they're released (or stay with Android or iOS if you do like it).

JDThird

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm doing the same thing. Tonight is my last night with my Lumia Icon that I've had since release day. I was on Windows phones since their inception, through all the old "PDA" style phones until I finally got sucked into an iPhone when the 4s came out. At the time, I had also switched from a Tablet PC to a Macbook Pro, so it made sense. But four years later I went back to Windows when the newer tablets were being announced with Windows 8, and then I left the iPhones to come back to Windows phones. But in all the time now with my Lumia Icon, I've just been frustrated at the absolute lack of support from developers. And I understand with 10 (which ran for crap on my Lumia Icon, battery lasted a fraction of how long it lasted with 8.1 on it) that developers can write code for the PC that will run on the phone - but people aren't writing many things that I'm looking for on the Windows platform at all, so that doesn't help me either. My Ilumi smart LED's only work with IOS or Android. My Ecobee thermostat only has apps for IOS or Android - there's a windows phone version someone wrote, but you have to pay extra for that and it's not a company supported program anyway from what I saw. My Logitech Security system only works for IOS or Android. My Meccano robot app for the 4 foot robot only has a IOS or Android app. My home theater only has apps for IOS or Android. My Energy UFO only has apps for IOS or Android... My Sony transfer software for wireless only works with IOS or Android. Even a wireless camera I have needs IOS.

And it really stinks, because by FAR I prefer the OS and interface of my Windows 8.1 phone over anything droid or IOS based. The live tiles were what won me over in the first place. I still feel it's a superior phone. But without dev support and the apps for things I really need to use, it doesn't matter how pretty and wonderful the OS is when all I can do is see what the weather will be and use it for a phone. I'm tired of having stuff I have to pull out my iPad for when I'm at home.

I"ve been using a Microsoft Band as well, and if it weren't for the horrible way crap builds up on the sensors and starts scratching the skin, I'd keep using it with the iPhone 6s I'm getting tomorrow morning, but the engineering for that was just poorly thought out, and so I'm getting the apple watch to go with the phone...

And it's frustrating since I really prefer the Windows OS. But I just can't stand my phone being ONLY a phone anymore. I had hoped over the last year and a half or more that I'd see growing support for new tech things in the Windows phone area, but it's just not there.

Last edited:

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I have Lumia 535 (Windows 10 Mobile) and Droid Mini (KitKat 4.4.4). There are dozens of thing I can do on Droid are almost impossible on Lumia.

For instance I use Airfoil Speaker app to receive audio from Mac and use Droid as WiFi speaker or headset.

Data, WiFi, Bluetooth and other settings can be toggled with single tap on home screen (Power Widget). My bank, my landline and some other services I use have apps for iOS and Android but no app for WP.

Even the apps available for both platforms are more smoother and polished on Android.

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I feel sometimes the same. Luckily, I don't have many devices that only work on Android or iOS (I don't have a wireless camera, or speakers, my car HF works perfectly with WP...) so I don't have that need (if I had, I'd have changed long time ago). However, it's frustrating when you need an app in a specific moment (a restaurant, for instance) and you don't have it. It's not an app that I'm gonna use everyday, but it's there for iOS and android and not for me. We can agree WP looks the best though haha. I was about to change my phone last week, but I finally decided to give W10 a try.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd suggest an Android phone if you're aiming at flagship (although performance has changed to better on low too). It's a no brainer if you want freedom on your phone with countless possibilities. And it's not really all about the customization, but mainly on the amount of apps and their specific features that are only available on Android as Developers have more freedom. The overall performance of the phone should be just fine. Please don't get brain washed by Windows Central Android hate that has so many old or made up reasons why Android sucks. Especially the security, there is no way to get malware and all other crap people are talking about if you minimum knowledge about what's legit and what's not. You can still use Antivirus, but it's useless as there is nothing to protect.

And yes I'd still recommend sticking to Flagships like S6, LG4 or Nexus devices or devices that has almost the same pure Android experience if you want updates in a long run.

Then about iOS, I really have nothing against it, but it's another closed platform just like Windows that has its own limitations. It's opening up in some areas like custom keyboards and apps have more features. Some may say that closed OS is good, but not really for the user. There's a reason people are embracing open platforms.

Also the new iPhone looks pretty nice in every way possible (numbers doesn't mean anything) so if you're willing to spend a little more money and you don't care about SD card or removable batteries then it should be fine.

However if Windows Mobile had the apps and more useful APIs that would be great.. And I would have minimum need to switch my self.

Last edited:

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes.. Indeed i have no doubts now that my next phone won't be windows. Over the period of 3 years i have enjoyed the arrival of new apps. However the saf truth now is neither all the good apps are here nor the apps in here are performing better compared to the rivals. For ex: If i search for top fitness apps, top games, top productive apps etc there is very rarely i see a top app that's there in windows platform too. I think this situation won't get any better. I have read many windows central articles praising the Microsoft strategies of making come backs and plans of becoming top or competitive in the segment from the days of Lumia 920 to Lumia 950 XL. The sad reality is that it never has, atleast now i believe it never will be. Now i have made a decision to switch to android or ios and my next days will be to investigate the right one for me. Either of them, i am definitely out of an app trouble ecosystem as well as thanks to nadella, i still can enjoy the windows apps like onenote,onedrive in android too :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)