Hello,

I was considering getting a Windows phone, but I would like to use it as a Wi-Fi device (like an iPod Touch). I don't want to put a SIM in it.

Is it possible to set up/activate a Windows phone without putting in a SIM?
    09-24-2015 05:40 PM
    Hello,

I was considering getting a Windows phone, but I would like to use it as a Wi-Fi device (like an iPod Touch). I don't want to put a SIM in it.

I know for a fact that it is perfectly possible to set up a Windows Phone without a SIM. WI-FI helps but you don't even need that (you won't be able to do much though). My Windows 10 Mobile device rarely has a SIM in and I reset it and re-setup all the time.
    To my knowledge no. I recently switched from an 830 to a 1020 and a SIM was required to complete activation. It does not have to be an active SIM though. You just need one in the tray
    09-24-2015 05:42 PM
    Hello,

I know for a fact that it is perfectly possible to set up a Windows Phone without a SIM. WI-FI helps but you don't even need that (you won't be able to do much though). My Windows 10 Mobile device rarely has a SIM in and I reset it and re-setup all the time.
    09-24-2015 05:44 PM
    Windows 10 yes. Windows phone 8.1 no.
    09-24-2015 05:47 PM
    Windows 10 yes. Windows phone 8.1 no.
    It was on Windows Phone 8.1 without a SIM long before Windows 10 Mobile was loaded onto it, my friend.
    It's quite possible my memory fails me and in Windows Phone 8.1 it isn't possible but I clearly remember setting up my device—on Windows Phone 8.1—without a SIM inserted. However, feel free to show concrete evidence that proves me wrong, and I'll concede the point.
    Last edited by Zachary Boddy; 09-24-2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added a point. I like points. Much better than sides.
    09-24-2015 05:54 PM
    I work at a carrier store, and ha e access to lots of windows phone. When I was done with 830 I reset it back to 8.1. I am currently at work, and just tried to activate it. Not possible without SIM card. I know it works on 10 but you NEED a sim for 8.1. Try it yourself if you don't believe me
    09-24-2015 05:57 PM
    Which is why I originally said no to theOP. assuming he isn't waiting until November to buy one, he will most def need a sim card to activate an 8.1 phone. It just doesn't need to be activated is all
    09-24-2015 05:58 PM
    I stand corrected. After playing around for a few mins, as long as you have a MS account you can activate over wifi. So create an outlook account if you don't have one and you are good. Sorry for confusion!
    a5cent, Snowbooks1419 and libra89 like this.
    09-24-2015 06:03 PM
    I have. Every time I revert my Windows 10 Mobile device back to Windows Phone 8.1 and have to set the whole device up again. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I have no evidence other than your word that it's the case.
    09-24-2015 06:04 PM
    I stand corrected. After playing around for a few mins, as long as you have a MS account you can activate over wifi. So create an outlook account if you don't have one and you are good. Sorry for confusion!
    I would say "I told you so" but I am not a bragger so I'll instead give you a friendly farewell.
    Have a lovely day sir, I'm glad the confusion was sorted out.
    killakiloz and Snowbooks1419 like this.
    09-24-2015 06:05 PM
    Hello,

And I believe you have your answer now (although there was a miniature debate that went with it). You can activate it without a SIM. I forgot to mention the Microsoft Account however and my other comrade did so there you go.
    killakiloz and Snowbooks1419 like this.
    09-24-2015 06:06 PM
    I would say "I told you so" but I am not a bragger so I'll instead give you a friendly farewell.
    Have a lovely day sir, I'm glad the confusion was sorted out.
    Haha appreciated! Have a good one!
    Snowbooks1419 likes this.
    09-24-2015 06:13 PM
    Thanks everyone! :)
    09-24-2015 08:00 PM