How to type like a pro?

rocker1m1

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Coming from Android without the guidance of Swiftkey, I am totally lost here. I usually typed with my two thumbs, fast, and the auto prediction worked fast and accurate enough for me to simply press space to correct the word I was typing for and move on to the next. With my Lumia 640XL, I wanted to type the way I did, but the prediction is not instant nor that much accurate, so I simply can't 'space bar' my way out of spelling errors. I now type, and wait few hundred milliseconds for the predicted word to appear and then I can tap the space to move to the next word, instead of doing instinctively like before.

I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on how to type fast and accurately.

Thank you

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, two things:
1. practice, both in using the feature (Swipe Keys) and in swiping over the correct letters (i.e. knowing the correct spelling of the words without relying on auto-correct that much); and
2. persistence - keep using the feature until you get used to it. Just like almost every thing else, mastery is always preceded by getting used to the ability or skill first.

Based on my observations, in Windows Phone 8.1, the Swipe Key feature is able to predict the words almost instantly after the swiping gesture if I swipe over the correct letters accurately - so this is important. If I swipe over "nearby" letters, then recognition would take a bit more time.

In Windows 10 Mobile, recognition is more instantaneous, with the results being updated during the swiping action... so improvements on the feature are coming.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Like this:
keyboard-smash-o.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :evil::winktongue:.

What gpobernardo said, personally stopped relying on the autocorrect and as I don't use short hand when writing texts I've gotten used to typing pretty quickly without any aids.

Also don't forget you do have shape writing with the wordflow keyboard, I haven't gotten the hang of that as I'm not glued to my phone unlike some lol.

Q: Do you type in portrait or landscape?

Last edited:

rocker1m1

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Like this:
View attachment 115872

Sorry, couldn't resist :evil::winktongue:.

What gpobernardo said, personally stopped relying on the autocorrect and as I don't use short hand when writing texts I've gotten used to typing pretty quickly without any aids.

Also don't forget you do have shape writing with the wordflow keyboard, I haven't gotten the hang of that as I'm not clued to my phone unlike some lol.

Q: Do you type in portrait or landscape?

Portrait.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Portrait.

I see, I use portrait for messaging and landscape for quick document edits.

I agree waiting for the correct word can be slow and cumbersome, at my previous job I used to type and edit contracts on my phone so I know exactly where your coming from.

1)You may need to adjust how you type i.e type your message and tap the word afterwards to correct or change as the o/s automatically corrects the words as you type and you don't need to wait or press space to add the correct word. Bear in mind that the auto correct gets less aggressive over time as it learns your typing habits and adds the most frequently used words into the dictionary. It would've been nice if we could have a sensitivity slider for the aggressiveness for the auto correct function. However I imagine that would be fairly complicated to implement in reality.

2) or simply type correctly the first time :) {I know I made a typing error in my last post lol - half asleep here as the coffee hasn't kicked in yet}.

3) Alternative start to use shape writing.

Microsoft?s new Word Flow keyboard sets world record for speed, supports 16 languages initially | Windows Central

Microsoft Brings World?s Fastest Texting to Windows Phone 8.1 - Microsoft Research

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss