Is a Lumia 640 XL comparible to a Lumia 1020

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Question for you guys, is a 640 XL comparible to a Lumia 1020? My wife bought a 1020 last year and the sreen broke recently. We have the assure program and when trading it in they were going to give us a Lumia 830, Lumia 640 XL or a blu win. As I recall the Lumia 1020 was a flagship phone along with the Lumia 1520 and these phones they are offering are low tier phones. The gentleman at the microsoft store said that they are equivalent to the lumia 1020 and that the processors make up for the camera differential. I say no, the camera is way better and the processors are only mildly better. What say you?

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

Question for you guys, is a 640 XL comparible to a Lumia 1020? My wife bought a 1020 last year and the sreen broke recently. We have the assure program and when trading it in they were going to give us a Lumia 830, Lumia 640 XL or a blu win. As I recall the Lumia 1020 was a flagship phone along with the Lumia 1520 and these phones they are offering are low tier phones. The gentleman at the microsoft store said that they are equivalent to the lumia 1020 and that the processors make up for the camera differential. I say no, the camera is way better and the processors are only mildly better. What say you?

LOL, camera i dont think so, maybe everything else.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Not even close. If he could find you a 928 or 1520 you could talk. The 1020 was a $600 phone if you bought it outright. He should be offering a 950 if he can't find a 1020.

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Not even close. If he could find you a 928 or 1520 you could talk. The 1020 was a $600 phone if you bought it outright. He should be offering a 950 if he can't find a 1020.

My thoughts exactly! In the assure program is says that they will replace based on original specs or the closest thing. I feel the 950 is the best replacement of the bunch based on camera alone.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Option D) Replace the screen? One thing I've noticed about Lumia phones is their repairability is smooth and the pieces aren't too expensive.

Have you looked into that?

Other than that though, the 1020's camera is the only bit of that phone that's flagship worthy anymore, even when it first came out. If it's based surely on specs, you might be lucky to convince them of a Lumia 930, at most. Sorry, but I don't see a Lumia 1020 being anywhere near the level of a Lumia 950 based surely on specs, because that's going from a dual-core 1.5 GHz processor to a six-core 1.8 GHz processor, 2 GB of ram to 3 GB of ram, a 720p 4.5 inch display to a QHD 5.1 inch display, but a 41 megapixel camera to a 20 megapixel camera, and I highly doubt the camera can pull the weight to get a free upgrade.

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Option D) Replace the screen? One thing I've noticed about Lumia phones is their repairability is smooth and the pieces aren't too expensive.

Have you looked into that?

Other than that though, the 1020's camera is the only bit of that phone that's flagship worthy anymore, even when it first came out. If it's based surely on specs, you might be lucky to convince them of a Lumia 930, at most. Sorry, but I don't see a Lumia 1020 being anywhere near the level of a Lumia 950 based surely on specs, because that's going from a dual-core 1.5 GHz processor to a six-core 1.8 GHz processor, 2 GB of ram to 3 GB of ram, a 720p 4.5 inch display to a QHD 5.1 inch display, but a 41 megapixel camera to a 20 megapixel camera, and I highly doubt the camera can pull the weight to get a free upgrade.

Bought the assure program so we didn't have to repair a damaged phone, just get a new one. My point on the 950 is that the assure program specifically states based on the original phone you can be reimbursed the price of the original phone or get a phone in similar specs. We bought the phone for 500+ dollars last year and are being offered a phone of 200 dollars only a year later. Something smells in this exchange. "We reserve the right at our sole discretion to replace your product with a new or reconditioned product of equal or comparable value to your original product or at our sole discretion reimburse you for costs incurred to purchase of a replacement device (which shall not exceed the MSRP of your original product)".

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
What do you value most about the 1020? If it's the camera, then none of these really compare. The screen size on all of them is different as well.

The Blu WIn is a nice phone, but is a non-starter in this case.

The 640XL has the very large screen, and the 830 has a 5". They both have higher processor specs, but the 640XL is only 8gb on board, I believe, with an SD card. In terms of processor, I don't know how much difference you'd notice in real life, because the 1020 is pretty smooth. You'd have to make a bigger leap than those to really notice it.

If I had to pick, I'd take an unlocked RM-985. Regardless of what you paid, a 1020 is only worth around $150 on a good day, maybe less. All of the phones offered are comparable value.

If you are that wrapped around the 1020, then push for a refurbed 1020, if they can find it.

In my view, the 950 is not very comparable to the 1020.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Bought the assure program so we didn't have to repair a damaged phone, just get a new one. My point on the 950 is that the assure program specifically states based on the original phone you can be reimbursed the price of the original phone or get a phone in similar specs. We bought the phone for 500+ dollars last year and are being offered a phone of 200 dollars only a year later. Something smells in this exchange. "We reserve the right at our sole discretion to replace your product with a new or reconditioned product of equal or comparable value to your original product or at our sole discretion reimburse you for costs incurred to purchase of a replacement device (which shall not exceed the MSRP of your original product)".

Ah, then if it's about price, then ask if they can put the $500+ down in either the 950 or 950 XL. If they can do that, then your wife will be happy with a new flagship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon