Installing non-store apps

darniil

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
First off, this isn't a piracy question. I'm trying to install the Initium (playinitium.com) app so I can help them test it out.

Secondly, I'm not getting an option in the store to install an app from my SD card, like mentioned in the how-to (forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-how-guides/278734-installing-apps-manually-using-xaps-stored-sd-card.html).

I have an HTC One M8, running Windows Phone 8.1. Initially, I downloaded their XAP (playinitium.com/windows.xap) using my phone, but for some reason IE decided to rename the XAP as a ZIP file.

After that, I decided to download it on my PC and upload it to my phone over a USB connection. I saved it to my phone's SD card's Downloads folder. It's been sitting there for over a week, with at least two phone reboots after I copied the file there. As I said, no option to install from the SD card in the Store.

Using the Files app (microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/files/9wzdncrfj3pl), I was able to attempt installing the app that way, but when I do, I get the error message "Can't install company app. There's a problem with this company app. Contact your company's support person for help." I asked the developers about this, and one of them said, "With Android, it won't let you install non-market apps unless you have "Allow apps to install from something something sources". Once this is checked, Android will allow the app to install. I assume windows has some similar option."

Does anyone have any ideas that I can try? (And apologies for the funky links. I apparently don't have enough posts to use proper links.)

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you will be successful. The phone checks to see if the app is in the store, if the xap is the current version and if the app is available in your region and for your phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte