Owners of upgrade suggested then dumped devices, how do you feel now?

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Owners of "upgrade suggested then dumped" devices how u feel now?

I got my hopes up because MS said they would try to upgrade older devices. I know it wasnt a promise, but hope is so irresistable. Now i feel disappointed when i recall that hope.

Sure i have a device that works great, its really reliable and i cant actually recall the last time my 925 anoyed me - first device that has achieved this.
But i know that the app store is effectively frozen now. There wont be new apps. there wont be updates. There wont be any new functionality. There will just be aging.

For now i will keep my 925, but in the future i know i will want to upgrade. I will probably stay with Windows but keeping an eye on Tizen.

Will the lack of upgrade make you buy a newer device?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Owners of "upgrade suggested then dumped" devices how u feel now?

I think that's the whole point.. There are now other manufacturers in the game and WP faithful won't jump ship easily so a move like this was needed to force the exodus.

But MS still has decent devices out there.. I consider the 640 and the 650 as pretty good devices. They're probably the new low-end. I get that a person with a 925 (mid ranger) won't want to go any lower, but at least give the 640 a shot?

I loved my 925 for the year I had it and actually still do. I understand your position, if MS had played "open cards" with us from the get-go I'd probably be on a different phone already, but I kept the 920 thinking that it would get w10 and in some aspects MS has delivered.

Build 218 on the 920 (keep in mind that I had very minimal issues previously) is a breeze to use! Heck even the 635 with 512MB is handling it well enough. I fully believe MS will push at least one more update to those running threshold, but mostly for stability.

The thing that worries me.. apps! So far my 920 has received the groove app update and the latest camera update so I think that for now MS will be pushing their apps to those on TH and RS, but at some point that will stop as well. However it is now apparent that devs can build their apps to target a certain build (VLC UWP only works with RS), so if more devs start to do that, the devices stuck on TH will become obsolete very fast.

eryvile

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

Build 218 on the 920 (keep in mind that I had very minimal issues previously) is a breeze to use! Heck even the 635 with 512MB is handling it well enough. I fully believe MS will push at least one more update to those running threshold, but mostly for stability.
How's the .218 performing compared to the .164? Has it really improved?
That's the last build I was using before rolling back to 8.1 as I wasn't really happy with the overall performance (and battery life - but that has never been phenomenal on a 925 :|).

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

How's the .218 performing compared to the .164? Has it really improved?
That's the last build I was using before rolling back to 8.1 as I wasn't really happy with the overall performance (and battery life - but that has never been phenomenal on a 925 :|).

218 was surprisingly stable :) same goes for 242! My battery life has increased somewhat as well. Charging is slow but I think that is an issue with my battery and not the update

eryvile

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

218 was surprisingly stable :) same goes for 242! My battery life has increased somewhat as well. Charging is slow but I think that is an issue with my battery and not the update

Thanks a lot! I moved back to 8.1 (from .164) because I had the impression that 8.1 was snappier on my L925. Did .242 bring any improvements in that area?

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

If you are looking for an upgrade and don't mind a phablet, the 640 XL is a true upgrade to the 925. I owned a 925 for a year and a half. The only thing that the XL doesn't have over the 925 is available wireless charging and OIS, an AMOLED screen, and less storage, which is overcome with a micro SD card. They're relatively affordable now: Brand new units go for around $200 unlocked.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you're in the UK and want something to hold over until you have enough case - get the L930 it is pretty darn cheap at ?80 - ?100. That's what I did and glad I did to be honest as the L930 is a stellar device - it sure flies on WM10.

I think they realised that the older models will need significant code optimization (firmware) and given that they had insane amount of overlapping models it would be a mountain to climb (due to the massive reduction in resources).

Plus this also allows them to transition to the surface model - in order to allow OEM's have the market without them feel like they are competing with a brand that holds 90%+ of the windows phone market.

As a Windows phone user, it pains me to say it was necessary.

Just look at Japan, a market where it's been known historically as a incredibly tough market to get foot hold in - yet there a Japanese OEM's building windows phones. Would these OEM's have started making phones if they didn't believe Microsoft was serious in allowing to compete in a new market?

We would never know as we aren't privy to what has happened / happening in the background.

eryvile

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

Well, I just went from WP8.1 to W10M again with my L925. Didn't do a hard reset (did not see the need to).
It works, but I'm not really a 100% convinced. I'll definitely move on to a new device, but I'm not sure it'll be a W10M device...

Posted from my L925/S5 mini/Z10/...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234