Current apps situation for 8.1?

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I still get a few updates, but it's usually some really simple ones, or AoE: Castle Siege.

What's more alarming is apps shutting down. I've had to change a few things this year, and the split between WP8 and W10M means there's no incentive to develop/update WP8 apps, since the platform is dead, and very little incentive to develop apps for W10M because of such low adoption numbers.

Situation all around, is not good.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I for one like the 8.1 MSN news/sports/finance apps better than their windows 10 counterparts.

Not having a clunky hamburger menu is one of the reasons. I'm dreading the day when they "update" the 8.1 version to include them. They already ruined their own OneDrive app.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I still get a few updates, but it's usually some really simple ones, or AoE: Castle Siege.

What's more alarming is apps shutting down. I've had to change a few things this year, and the split between WP8 and W10M means there's no incentive to develop/update WP8 apps, since the platform is dead, and very little incentive to develop apps for W10M because of such low adoption numbers.

Situation all around, is not good.

See to me that's a problem. A lot of people are currently NOT getting the W10m upgrade from their carrier and are stuck with some apps being pulled or abandonned and can't get the new versions. One shouldn't have to get in the Insider program for that. It's really nothing to help W10m's reputation with the public.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
See to me that's a problem. A lot of people are currently NOT getting the W10m upgrade from their carrier and are stuck with some apps being pulled or abandonned and can't get the new versions. One shouldn't have to get in the Insider program for that. It's really nothing to help W10m's reputation with the public.

If I understood well, too many people were too super negative about w10 on insider so they to choose to let people with older windows 8.1 phones to stick to 8.1 just to be sure these people had good working phones! A lot of people on insider should never have gone the insider route.

Microsoft also shouldn't have bothered with an upgrade. Wasted their time too much. Should have just told everyone, hey, back your stuff up, we're gonna make you start from scratch.

I had w10m on my lumia 920 since the insider program started and I don't think it was that horrible, considering beta/alpha testing whatever some want to call it. Just edge alone near the beginning made it worth it for generally better webpage experience and today, it's not my daily phone but I have it on 10586.318 and it's still good to use and feels great in the hand :) Insider or not, it shouldn't stop you to upgrade go ahead and upgrade your phone. I've given my lumia 625 with w10m to my 6 year old to play a few games and more importantly, access to her own technology to explore and she never complains about it! :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yep, you basically expressed my reasons to go with Insider if I was to use my 640 again. Idealistically, 8.1 could work, but when the support ends, what is really left for someone like me? My hand is forced to go with Insider even though I hate beta software. Thankfully, the official (.318) has been great.

My dad on the other hand, he's good as long as MS keeps up with their system apps, and Whatsapp, so Windows 10 is not really something he cares about.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Well there were fuctionnalities that were definitely better. But one thing that really bugged me from the 8.1 versions (that is still there 2 years later) is that when they rebranded from Bing to MSN, in the French version, the app was titled "Actualit?ss" and there are spelling mistakes all over the place. That's just amateurish. 2 years and they still haven't fixed that. The same goes with the file manager on 8.1. There's a translation mistake. When they write, for example, "8GB Free" they translated that to "8 Go Gratuit". Gratuit translates to free as in free beer. They should have written "8 Go Libre".

It's minor I know. But geez!

There are a lot of minor gripes like that which carry over to the Windows 10 apps. for example in sports when you look up a player in any team sport often their picture will have them in the jersey/uniform of the team they previously played for. Often it takes more than 1 season for it to be updated. Now I'll give them a pass with minor players on a team but when its a key/star player it looks very amateur.

Michel van M

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
For my Lumia 1020, which was on W10M and now is back on WP8.1 (without old backup) many apps are not working any longer as expected. For example, Lumia Camera often "hangs" and does not let you record video, the MS Camera app works. Until restart, then Lumia Camera works for some minutes or hours and then hangs again. Then, I have the problem that more often all system sounds wont work until restart. This means no ringtone, no alarm, no audio output works, but making a phone call still works as expected (at least). As I said, Hard Reset, no Backup. May be my 1020 is just broken?
Well the app situation is as always: Updates from Whatsapp regularly, other apps not really any longer, but I'm used to it.

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
basically, what you have now is all youre going to have on wp8.x
windows phone apps arent going to get new features but may still get some bug fixes. there is no motivation for developers to do more than 'just enough' for WP8.x apps, and many wont do even that, just forget about wp8.x. Paypal wont be the last to drop suppport for their wp8.x app. W10M apps will soon catch up with features and reliability, and continue to get developed, because MS 'promise' is to have W10M as a long term platform, ensuring development efforts have a certainty of long term application.

RonWesley

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Last 7 month ago I was using window 8.1. This is a great Smart Phone. but some apps don't work on window 8.1. Now I am using gionee s6 with 32gb. Its features are awesome.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For my Lumia 1020, which was on W10M and now is back on WP8.1 (without old backup) many apps are not working any longer as expected. For example, Lumia Camera often "hangs" and does not let you record video, the MS Camera app works. Until restart, then Lumia Camera works for some minutes or hours and then hangs again. Then, I have the problem that more often all system sounds wont work until restart. This means no ringtone, no alarm, no audio output works, but making a phone call still works as expected (at least). As I said, Hard Reset, no Backup. May be my 1020 is just broken?
Well the app situation is as always: Updates from Whatsapp regularly, other apps not really any longer, but I'm used to it.

This is a problem for modern phones. Even Windows Phone is so app centered (most being Microsoft or Rudy Huyn produced). But in the day, you could use your phone forever, no updates required. Now, an older device can really cease to function.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos