8XT is suddenly lagging and heating. Is it ready to die?

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC 8XT. Until a few days ago, it's worked just fine. It's old, it has almost no space left, and since it's 8.1 it has almost no apps of value, but it worked, darn it.

A few days ago, my phone suddenly started to lag when sending texts. The only time there was ever a lag before was sending a picture, and even then it was only a moment's delay. Now when I text, there's a good 20-second delay. Everything is grayed out, and I can't leave the messaging screen until the text eventually sends.

There are also little things. My phone used to light up with an email alert before anything arrived in Outlook. Now there's a good delay from when I get an email in Outlook to seeing my phone notify me.

In addition to that, the battery drains much faster now, even when it's not in constant use, and stays perpetually warm at best, and hot after the simplest of tasks.

There's nothing I've done any differently in the last few days that should leave to behavior like this. Rebooting the phone changes nothing. I don't want to do a hard reset in case that doesn't fix the problem. Does anyone have some advice, or is the hardware finally just ready to die?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Could you observe if your network service provider has made some changes in your area, i.e. a temporary decrease in signal strength?

Either the coverage in your area is temporarily suffering from some decrease in signal strength, or the antenna in your device is starting to give way. Both of these will result in the symptoms you're experiencing with your device.

book1245

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. gpobernardo, I'll see if there's any change if I leave the area this weekend. I sure hope it's not a sign of internal physical degradation.

EspHack, my phone has spent almost a year functioning with just 30-40mbs of space left. I would have to constantly delete picture texts to make the space, but it kept chugging along. Suddenly the other day I found myself with a whopping 150mb of space (which is a LOT to my tiny 8gb device), but the lag still exists, so I'm not sure it's a space issue. But thank you for your input as well!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)