Apps I can't even open are using data, how do I stop them?

uri8

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Good afternoon, and happy thanksgiving if you celebrate this holiday.

Phone: Lumia 1020
Carrier: AT&T

I have never had data before, I only got the 50mb package from at&t because I need to use an app to punch in/out of a new job. I was happy to see that I didn't even use 1mb per day using the ADP app at work.
I was NOT happy however, when I saw that other apps were using data, much less, apps that I can't even see or control. Specifically Outlook, it used 26mb. Spotify used 8, which I think I did on accident by not turning on wi-fi. Restore data used 3.

What is restore data, and why did it use data?
Where can I turn off, or uninstall outlook? Why did IT use data?

This is troubling because I will likely have to spend more on a different plan just so I do not run out of data. If this is something that I can't fix, I will probably end up looking for a different phone that allows more control over this, as well as other limitations found on WP.

uri8

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your answer! How can I do that? I do not see outlook anywhere, it is visible in Office or in the app list.

uri8

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I think I found that (email and accounts), however, there was no option for manual :(

The closest thing, (I thought) would have been as items arrive. The longest option available was daily. What does it mean by "arrive"?

I think my only option is to upgrade plans.
Also gonna look at changing phones.

EDIT* If "as items arrive" is talking about text messages arriving, and being back up, I have turned off the backing up of messages.
Will this stop outlook from using data?

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a vague memory of 8.1 lol but did you long tap on your account or just tap to open so you can set the sync to manual?

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a vague memory of 8.1 lol but did you long tap on your account or just tap to open so you can set the sync to manual?

So after some prodding, looks like you can't set Hotmail to manually sync in Outlook (because why would you want to do that? /s). Otherwise the steps are as follows:

• Go to your desired inbox
  • Tap on the ellipsis (...) in the lower right corner
  • Select Settings > sync settings
  • Download new mail: manually

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So after some prodding, looks like you can't set Hotmail to manually sync in Outlook (because why would you want to do that? /s). Otherwise the steps are as follows:

• Go to your desired inbox
  • Tap on the ellipsis (...) in the lower right corner
  • Select Settings > sync settings
  • Download new mail: manually
Thank you! Lol I knew there was sth manual in there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte