Windows Phone 8.1 vs Windows 10 Mobile

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wanted to start some discussion around the jump from 8.1 to 10 in here.

Do you still prefer Windows Phone 8.1 over Windows 10 Mobile? Is so, which features from 8.1 do you miss that perhaps weren't included in 10? Is there anything Windows 10 Mobile does much better than 8.1, and vice versa?

Sound off! Should be an interesting discussion!

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Full wallpaper on start screen is good also to control tile transparency is great. Supports of background download in 3rd party apps.other features like new store,new features in action centre,settings page etc.I like windows mobile 10 better than wp8.1

Sent from mTalk

Daniel Fargnoli

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
I agre with the good features mentioned ... but Windows Phone 8.1 SP2 run perfectly in my Dual-Sim movil ( Work + Personal use ).
The problem with Windows Mobile 10 is that still have problems and issues. I stay 1 year with the stable version in one phone and the insider preview in other phone.
Forget the insider preview version. Today we do not have a fully functioning WM10 "stable" version that run safe and sound in any movile.
Windows Phone 8.1 SP2 accomplish that task very well. That is the point.

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I agre with the good features mentioned ... but Windows Phone 8.1 SP2 run perfectly in my Dual-Sim movil ( Work + Personal use ).
The problem with Windows Mobile 10 is that still have problems and issues. I stay 1 year with the stable version in one phone and the insider preview in other phone.
Forget the insider preview version. Today we do not have a fully functioning WM10 "stable" version that run safe and sound in any movile.
Windows Phone 8.1 SP2 accomplish that task very well. That is the point.
Yes performance of wm10 is not as wp8.1

Sent from mTalk

nt40lanman

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
A year ago I upgraded my 640 with WM10. There were a few nice things but they were trivial to me. As I remember, the big points for me were that it STILL couldn't print and when looking at am e-mail with multiple pics, you can't just swipe between them. That's something I deal with regularly. So after a week I recovered it back to 8.1 and I'm very happy.

nt40lanman

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure how to compare a phone to a computer but my phone interacts with all my devices about the same. I use Outlook.com, hosted exchange, and other IMAP mail, and also OneDrive and OneNote. OneDrive on Windows 7 isn't as integrated.

Veehementia

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Still 8.1 on my 930. Windows 10 didn't give me problems of any sort, and the performance were good, but not as good as 8.1. It may be just my impression, but Windows 10 does everything just SLIGHTLY later. And well... I preferred the design of 8.1. It was fun, easy, colorful and much more mobile centered. Windows 10 is just like my PC; not a bad thing per se, but I just can't see my PC on my phone. The only real downside is that without Windows 10 all communications between PC and smartphone are over: no more cross-device Cortana orders and cross-device notifications (which was bliss). So... It's give and take I guess.

mtbmike24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Went from a 1520 had it for 2.5 years then bought a 950xl a year ago. I'm pretty much done with w10m until Microsoft gets their crap together I'm selling my 950xl bought a brand new unlocked 1520 in white and could not be happier.
My battery lasted over a day in a half and everything works solid just like I remember. Forgot how much I missed 8.1. It just works w10m just works but not until you do a hard reset and no back up after a update then even still you may have some issues pop up. CU update sucks imo I can blow through my 950xl battery in 4 hours if I want. After a hard reset no back up its better but battery life is atrocious, Cortana has always sucked in w10m compared to 8.1 imo.
Speed between the 2 is not even close no really something's are pretty close but most are just way faster on 8.1.
Spotify works everytime on 8.1 and its fast w10m the app works 40% of the time and its slow to open. Xbox music is faster, downloads are faster, Connects to Bluetooth faster in my truck my 1520 is as cold as ice compared to the 950xl and hey Cortana man she sucks balls on the 950xl works maybe 30% of the time but works 90% of the time on 8.1 facebook is like 5 times faster in 8.1 or at least it feels like it. I did a Skype call to my daughters 830 running 8.1 and my 1520 and its a way better experience.
There are not as many features in 8.1 but there are solid features and they all work really well on the 1520 so this is were I stay for the foreseeable future.

Anas_64

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I bought my Lumia 640 back in 2015 only to be testing out windows 10 mobile. It was my first phone. And I never really used windows phone 8.1 for more than a day. But, after reading some articles about the performance of windows 10 mobile, I got sceptical and after 3 years, I have switched back to windows 8.1 phone only to test it now.

I have however used the windows device recovery tool before, maybe like 3 times to go back to 8.1, only to reinstall windows 10 using the windows insider program. But, never did I stop to think about windows phone 8.1. It could be because windows 8.1 on my PC was so distasteful. But, I never realised that windows phone 8.1 was built from the ground up to run entirely on ARM based devices like my phone.

After a lot of hard resets, and more flash resets, and even more insider builds, I think that I might not windows phone 8.1 to be that similar. But, lately I read a news article somewhere saying that the vast majority of people that use windows phone are using windows phone 8, so I stopped to think that windows 10 mobile is itself a minority among windows phone community.

If windows 10 mobile was more 'phone' than 'mobile', then I think that people will love it like how they love love windows phone 8.1. Because, even though windows phone 8.1 was not appealing to everyone, unlike iOS and Android, it had a very unique kind of people using it.

I don't know if windows 10 mobile would ever be as polished and reliable as windows phone 8.1. After all, Microsoft fixes something and breaks something even more when they release a new feature update for Windows, whether it be for PC or mobile.

But, Windows 10 mobile feature_2 is available to any windows insider with a windows phone. And, they have promised regular updates until the December of 2019. Maybe, windows 10 mobile could get much more reliable and stable by that time. I don't know, I can only hope and dream of it.

Anyway, I am flashing my Lumia 640 back to windows phone 8.1 as I am writing this message. I am going to use like this for much longer. Lets see how this experience turns out to me. But, let this thread be open. Because, maybe in January of 2020, I will return to this thread to speak about my experience with my Lumia. Maybe, I will give windows 10 mobile another try. Who knows what the world will be like at that time. But, anyways, thanks for reading.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Let me put it this way:
Windows 10 Mobile is like the second and third Matrix movies (or Scrubs, season 9). Technically part of the franchise, but you'd be asking yourself why they exist really, just to give the platform a bad name?

If you're looking for features go Android. Windows Phone had a single core thing and that was "fast and fluid". It had an integrated, consistent and robust feel to it and was well thought out design-wise.

Anything Windows 10 Mobile has, Android and iOS have it better now. What Android lacks, is what WP8.1 had: consistency. Ironically that's exactly what W10M lacks as well, plus "features" that don't really work like Cortana that works perfectly on WP8.1.

So to summarize, W10M is a lost product from a company that was lost on what it wanted to do with its mobile presence, and WP8.1 was the (now 5 year old) product that had a clear message and delivered it to near perfection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre