Unsupported apps

Ramiram1

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Hello i have question how can i install legal apps which is no longer available for windows mobile 8.1 the apps is still exist in windows store just i dont have option to install

Swapy

Sep 13, 2018
Visit site
Only if you had installed when it was available and hadn't deleted them,you could have used them for much longer .....Only backset is that there will be no update for that

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Yup still exist in store but for whatever reason Microsoft's in their infinite wisdom decided to delist WP from obtaining many of them. Not all need special access/permissions so theoretically they should function as long as phone does...

A few months back, on my 830, used the Device Recovery Tool to revert back to its native OS (8.1) which then allowed me to install a few apps I once used but lost over the course of time running W10M. Upgraded to 10 again with those apps being retained and working perfectly fine (latest build at time). The only caveat being, doing a hard reset will cause those apps to vanish so the vicious cycle of "recovery tool", "upgrade", blah blah blah, is what it'll take. I'm sure (if not already) it'll end up being a no-go either way at some point especially if MS keeps their dirty hands into things.

Obviously the above won't work with devices that were native to W10M.

IMHO, Microsoft really messed up here royally as they can't even seem to let the the lights go out gracefully.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Only thing I can suggest is using the recover tool and see if that works, no guarantees though. Be forewarned "YOUR DEVICE WILL BE WIPED CLEAN!" so backup your data if need be.

The reality is, support for WP 8.1 ended on July 11, 2017 so if anything, it's only going to get worse. If these apps are "must haves" then it just may be time to look at another platform for your needs... could find a Windows Phone running 10 (650, 950, 950 XL, etc) yet it only gets worse because many of those apps that ran on 8.1 never migrated over to ten, know this all too well from personal experiences.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Realistically, the only thing you can do, if it is indeed still possible, is to use the WDRT to go back to Windows Phone 8.1, like you did before, and then stay on that. Do not upgrade to W10M.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Just because an app is in the store does not mean it is for all devices. Always look at the system requirements for the app. Don't know where you get the idea apps are delisted.
They are either in the store or not. Your device either meets the hardware requirements or not.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Just because an app is in the store does not mean it is for all devices. Always look at the system requirements for the app. Don't know where you get the idea apps are delisted.
They are either in the store or not. Your device either meets the hardware requirements or not.

It'll depend on the device and what version of Windows it is/was running prior as to whether an app "may" be still obtainable. And if you reread my post I stated the "device" itself gets delisted not the apps themselves. As such, apps in some instances go from available on "Mobile & PC" to just "PC" yet might still show up in store.

In my case, if I take our L830 (upgradable to W10M) reverting it back to 8.1 via "Windows Device Recovery Tool", we have access to some apps that aren't available on W10M.. After obtaining these apps I can then again upgrade to W10M and with a little luck, those apps will still be retained functioning perfectly fine.

The problem with the above is, it's so hit-n-miss and what worked yesterday may not work today, definitely getting worse though as I am just finding out... today toyed with my L830 and sure as the sky is blue I was able to grab hold of a few of my old fav's but did notice a few others, once obtainable three months back, now cannot be had even though they still show up in store.

No offence but sorry, your “how it should be” isn’t necessarily always the case especially when we are talking Windows Phone here. And the only way to find out what will work, or won’t, is by jumping through a bunch of hoops which, in Microsoft’s infinite wisdom, was created by their wayward ways.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Realistically, the only thing you can do, if it is indeed still possible, is to use the WDRT to go back to Windows Phone 8.1, like you did before, and then stay on that. Do not upgrade to W10M.

I've had decent luck upgrading to W10M on my 830 still retaining apps supposedly not obtainable on 10, they all worked perfectly fine afterwards too. Found it is if a hard reset is done whilst running W10M that they will vanish or become unusable requiring one to go through the motions again to get them back... today though I'm finding out "some of those apps" are now starting to vanish so it is just a matter of time before it becomes no longer doable.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had decent luck upgrading to W10M on my 830 still retaining apps supposedly not obtainable on 10, they all worked perfectly fine afterwards too. Found it is if a hard reset is done whilst running W10M that they will vanish or become unusable requiring one to go through the motions again to get them back... today though I'm finding out "some of those apps" are now starting to vanish so it is just a matter of time before it becomes no longer doable.

I don't understand why MS remove apps from the Store anyway. It makes sense just to leave them there working. It doesn't harm them doing that. It only harms them when they remove apps that people still use and MS doesn't give people a way to get those apps back. That's shortsighted.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I don't understand why MS remove apps from the Store anyway. It makes sense just to leave them there working. It doesn't harm them doing that. It only harms them when they remove apps that people still use and MS doesn't give people a way to get those apps back. That's shortsighted.

Totally agree but it seems to be Microsoft's way... the thing is, in my experiences anyway, they weren't removing some of these apps but rather delisting the phone of sorts as being ineligible to D/L due to the OS its running.

If I can use WDRT on our 830 and go through ALL the motions (grabbing some of these apps along the way) ending up on the the latest build of W10M, and these apps still function as they did prior, then why they are doing it is a big mystery and makes no sense whatsoever. Truly believe some of these apps would run on phone's native to 10 perfectly fine yet we'll never know since MS does not give us the ability to do that.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree but it seems to be Microsoft's way... the thing is, in my experiences anyway, they weren't removing some of these apps but rather delisting the phone of sorts as being ineligible to D/L due to the OS its running.

If I can use WDRT on our 830 and go through ALL the motions (grabbing some of these apps along the way) ending up on the the latest build of W10M, and these apps still function as they did prior, then why they are doing it is a big mystery and makes no sense whatsoever. Truly believe some of these apps would run on phone's native to 10 perfectly fine yet we'll never know since MS does not give us the ability to do that.

Unfortunately though, when MS removes an app from the store, they remove it for both Windows Phone 8.1 and W10M.

smartblu

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
+1. Do not upgrade to W10M !!! W10M is so laggy, so unstable ! Since I revert to WP8.1, my Lumia is fluid, stable... I reinstalled all needed oldies but goodies apps (Whatsapp, Viber, Skype, Feedlabs, AppRadio, TripAdvisor, Moovit, SpeedTrap, Bing Translation, Waze, Soundhound, Subway surfer, 2048...).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss