09-16-2014 05:58 PM
108 12345
tools
    If androids apps can run on Windows phone, why does it matter if developers stop making apps for WP? As long as there's apps right?

What I want is for smartphones to be like PCs where you have the option to install any type of OS you want. I hope that in the near future, we can buy a smartphone we want based on hardware specs but without an OS pre-installed. Instead, we can buy and install the OS separately and choose between WP, Android or Linux for smartphones. That would be the best. I am saying this because I love the Nokia 1520. But I think it would be more of a beast if it's running on android OS.
    Lmao sounds like you want an android phone then. Me myself I love my 1520....without the google crap.
    CSJr1 and Karthik Naik like this.
    07-14-2014 11:41 AM
    I personally could care less about apps, its just those people that always bring up the app situation are annoying as fck!
    Smartphones = apps. A Smartphone without apps is just a phone. For that, a Nokia 3310 will suffice.

refurbished-original-unlocked-font-b-nokia-b-font-font-b-3310-b-font-mobile-gsm.jpg

07-14-2014 11:46 AM
    Lmao sounds like you want an android phone then. Me myself I love my 1520....without the google crap.
    I have both (1520 and One X) . I still like my good old HTC One X running an outdated Android JB 4.2 better...

dscf0187-u0025255b1600x1200-u0025255d.jpg

07-14-2014 11:54 AM
    Smartphones = apps. A Smartphone without apps is just a phone. For that, a Nokia 3310 will suffice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refurbished-Original-unlocked-font-b-Nokia-b-font-font-b-3310-b-font-mobile-GSM.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	72003

A smartphone doesn't mean apps anymore than a car equals a radio.

While having apps makes the experience better, considering even feature phones now come with app, pretty sure a smartphone doesn't equal apps
    faraz98 likes this.
    07-14-2014 11:56 AM
    I have both (1520 and One X) . I still like my good old HTC One X running an outdated Android JB 4.2 better...

Name:	DSCF0187+%u0025255B1600x1200%u0025255D.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	72004

Android on nice hardware like the Lumia just doesn't look right. Even HTC and Sony look less appealing to me simply because of their andorid os.
    07-14-2014 11:58 AM
    I haven't heard these statistics. But I so know most people I know own an iPhone or Android. Many of the discussions or their interactions with one another involves using popular apps. Whether its about being invested in the ecosystem, I don't know. And whether or not folks actually use every app in the top 50 is not so much the question. Its having access to those apps in general.
    An Upper Limit For Apps? New Data Suggests Consumers Only Use Around Two Dozen Apps Per Month | TechCrunch

I believe the assurance that they have access to these apps when they need it (but when in fact they never download them) does play a psychological role in pushing people towards one platform or the other (refer to the years of Windows dominance for an example), but I don't believe people actually *need* a huge variety of apps like the tech journalists and geeks likes to assume by default, which is supported by the data collected. It's very common to sell people something by giving them the "rainy day" speech to lure them into a false sense of getting their money's worth, only later to find out they have overspent on something they have no need for, which by that time they are already too set and comfortable in their ways to bother to change.
    faraz98 likes this.
    07-14-2014 12:03 PM
    07-14-2014 02:03 PM
    I don't entirely agree. The majority of smartphone use is still text, email, calender, and web browsing. The point about WP worth making, I feel, is that we shouldn't quantify the "app gap" as much as we should qualify it.

It's been two months since this video was published, but everyone seems to be ignoring the point it makes about how cluttered the iOS app store and google play store are. They have thousands of apps for a flashlight! So even though the WP store is about a quarter or so of their size, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a quarter as useful; many of the apps people will use over there (minus games) have counterparts over here.

There is definitely a gap, but the size of it isn't so much the problem. I feel it is chiefly cross platform availability of popular apps, and the quality of apps in our store. Many apps are pretty, but there's many of them that just don't function like a windows phone app, they feel ported.
    faraz98 likes this.
    07-14-2014 02:11 PM
    The only app I ever used was google maps when I had iphone
    I know there are third party apps
    But just liked google maps
    07-14-2014 02:25 PM
    It won't be what you think. In fact, if Ars Technica has it right, Amazon Fire phone users are in for a HUGE awakening...

Android apps on Windows Phone would be an ugly capitulation | Ars Technica
    07-14-2014 02:27 PM
    it is written that there is a maintenance going on at that uservoice website...

I am not able to vote on this suggestion now. And when I search for it in the suggestions page, it does not show up. Do you guys think someone at Microsoft removed this suggestion from the listing???

At the time of my writing this the suggestion had 6444 votes (in 21 hours). So I would say the suggestion became popular quite quick and that a majority of people do not like Android apps on Windows Phone.
    07-14-2014 02:46 PM
    I don't entirely agree. The majority of smartphone use is still text, email, calender, and web browsing. .
    I don't know why you are "disagreeing" but everything you just mentioned are also apps. Built-in apps.

07-14-2014 04:49 PM
    Developers aren't developing... Then how does WP app store count grow... Magic?
    Yes magic spot on (smartass), stop acting like every single developer has plans for WP because they don't, a LOT of these apps haven't gotten an update in months or even years, and a lot of developers have just stopped supporting WP
    07-14-2014 04:55 PM

Name:	Refurbished-Original-unlocked-font-b-Nokia-b-font-font-b-3310-b-font-mobile-GSM.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	72003
    Smartphone = Apps? Your life might revolve around apps but not mine, everyone is different

07-14-2014 05:05 PM
    whether you like it or not, smartphones are nothing but apps. The moment you turn it on, all those tiles are apps. Even the basic stuffs like phone or text messaging or web browser. Without those apps, your phone is just an expensive paperweight.

cheers!
    07-14-2014 05:20 PM
    whether you like it or not, smartphones are nothing but apps. The moment you turn it on, all those tiles are apps. Even the basic stuffs like phone or text messaging or web browser. Without those apps, your phone is just an expensive paperweight.

cheers!
    LMAO! Even non-smartphones come with the "basic" stuff, so I guess dumb phones = apps too?
    07-14-2014 05:36 PM
    I can't say what I want at this point. What I don't want is a device with some kind of BS internal battle for what it can access on my phone. For example android software wanting access to the keyboard and or calendar but Microsoft restricting it and I'm left with a crippled up, gimped, feeble experience. Smooth on the outside and grimy android on the inside. This is the battle to come as I see it.
    07-14-2014 05:48 PM
    LMAO! Even non-smartphones come with the "basic" stuff, so I guess dumb phones = apps too?
    I don't know why you are laughing but basically yes. The word app is not limited to that stuff you download from your phone. It refers to any kind of program with purpose. It's just that today's smartphones are more advanced and you have the option to install and uninstall those apps by yourself.

apps.jpg

faraz98 likes this.
    07-14-2014 05:54 PM
    I don't know why you are laughing but basically yes. The word app is not limited to that stuff you download from your phone. It refers to any kind of program with purpose. It's just that today's smartphones are more advanced and you have the option to install and uninstall those apps by yourself.

Name:	apps.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	72047

You have to understand that everyone in this thread including myself is talking about apps from the store and not Applications built into the OS, like I said I could care less about apps
    07-14-2014 06:29 PM
    You have to understand that everyone in this thread including myself is talking about apps from the store and not Applications built into the OS, like I said I could care less about apps
    I know. If you "could care less about apps" why are you discussing it then?

I don't have that much app too. Even on my old android phone. But the apps that matter to me either don't exist on WinStore or in useless beta version.
    07-14-2014 07:55 PM
    I know. If you "could care less about apps" why are you discussing it then?

I don't have that much app too. Even on my old android phone. But the apps that matter to me either don't exist on WinStore or in useless beta version.
    I was discussing the lack of support from developers, you're the one who brought up the "smartphones = apps" thing
    07-14-2014 08:43 PM
    I was discussing the lack of support from developers, you're the one who brought up the "smartphones = apps" thing
    You got it all wrong. It"s Microsoft not giving support to developers. Why would developers not support Windows phone? It's a bigtime money making business.
    07-14-2014 09:11 PM
    I don't know why you are "disagreeing" but everything you just mentioned are also apps. Built-in apps.

The ealier conversation revolved around the lack of apps in the ecosystem. Because those apps are readily available (and built in) across all platforms. In the context of that conversation "smartphone = apps" I thought you were referring to the extended apps not built into all platforms, since it was about the app gap.

Disagreement on any level set aside, my point is that 3rd party apps are important, but in a different and lesser way than we might be tempted to think.
    07-14-2014 09:33 PM
    You got it all wrong. It"s Microsoft not giving support to developers. Why would developers not support Windows phone? It's a bigtime money making business.
    Dev's don't want Windows Phone because for many, it is not a money making business. At least that's what they think. The problem for Microsoft is that even in worlds where profits are predictable high, I have found that most Dev's don't even think WP exists.
    07-14-2014 09:36 PM
    Dev's don't want Windows Phone because for many, it is not a money making business. At least that's what they think. The problem for Microsoft is that even in worlds where profits are predictable high, I have found that most Dev's don't even think WP exists.
    If Microsoft wants to join the apps race, it's their call. There's so much they can do to attract devs.
    07-14-2014 09:48 PM
108 12345