Do you people want android apps on windows phone?

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually don't think this is true for the general population, but rather that of an image that is created only by the tech journalists and a handful of geeks. We've all heard the statistics that on average most people only uses about 20 apps on their smartphones (and how many of these are actually system apps? If you take away email, browser, music, photos, camera and the standard social media apps it leaves surprisngly little for 3rd party apps), taking into considering that most smartphones apps are either free or cost about 2 to 5 bucks, I don't believe people care so much about some 40 dollars (I'm being VERY generous here with the spending) worth of "investment". I think familiarity and the fear of making a wrong choice is the much bigger and self-fufilling factor and that is even harder to break out of than the "lack of apps" angle. I don't know how many times I've seen relatives and friends buying yet another Android or iPhone because the other relatives or their husband/wife or BFF uses one, despite I know full well that they don't buy *any* apps at all and only use some popular IM apps like Whatsapp or LINE (which are all free anyway on all platforms) and Facebook. It's the comfort of knowing that someone else could help/teach them when something happens that makes these people "go with the flow" so to speak. The other point about "making the wrong choice" is similar, if people aren't into tech gadgets then they don't want to be different to their friends due to social pressure etc. All these just feeds a negative spiral and is very difficult to break out of.

I haven't heard these statistics. But I so know most people I know own an iPhone or Android. Many of the discussions or their interactions with one another involves using popular apps. Whether its about being invested in the ecosystem, I don't know. And whether or not folks actually use every app in the top 50 is not so much the question. Its having access to those apps in general.

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I am not able to vote on this suggestion now. And when I search for it in the suggestions page, it does not show up. Do you guys think someone at Microsoft removed this suggestion from the listing???

At the time of my writing this the suggestion had 6444 votes (in 21 hours). So I would say the suggestion became popular quite quick and that a majority of people do not like Android apps on Windows Phone.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I'll definitely vote for this.
WP still quite behind from competitors when its comes to apps.

Take an example
Android have tons of free video player and almost every free video player easily outperform Moli player in WP which cost you $4.

So, WP not only lacks in numbers but also quality.

And the only way to solve this is allow Android apps
Or we can wait a decade until this problem solved

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I see this being both good and bad. Good in the sense that Windows Phone would get more games (we're lacking in good Tower Defense games :\), but bad in the sense of productive apps, the apps I'd like to see in the modern Windows 8 sense, where if a developer gets lazy, we would suffer. So we'd get more games, but we'd also get more crapapps.

Shad0wguy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
While I'd much prefer a native app, I'd like the option of running android apps for those devs who seem dead set on not releasing a WP app.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am okay with Android apps on a BlackBerry because of the design similarities but Windows Phone needs to stay the way it is with Universal Apps.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I mean that if this happens many developers will stop developing for windows phone, native apps...

If androids apps can run on Windows phone, why does it matter if developers stop making apps for WP? As long as there's apps right?

What I want is for smartphones to be like PCs where you have the option to install any type of OS you want. I hope that in the near future, we can buy a smartphone we want based on hardware specs but without an OS pre-installed. Instead, we can buy and install the OS separately and choose between WP, Android or Linux for smartphones. That would be the best. I am saying this because I love the Nokia 1520. But I think it would be more of a beast if it's running on android OS.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If androids apps can run on Windows phone, why does it matter if developers stop making apps for WP? As long as there's apps right?

What I want is for smartphones to be like PCs where you have the option to install any type of OS you want. I hope that in the near future, we can buy a smartphone we want based on hardware specs but without an OS pre-installed. Instead, we can buy and install the OS separately and choose between WP, Android or Linux for smartphones. That would be the best. I am saying this because I love the Nokia 1520. But I think it would be more of a beast if it's running on android OS.
Lmao sounds like you want an android phone then. Me myself I love my 1520....without the google crap.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard these statistics. But I so know most people I know own an iPhone or Android. Many of the discussions or their interactions with one another involves using popular apps. Whether its about being invested in the ecosystem, I don't know. And whether or not folks actually use every app in the top 50 is not so much the question. Its having access to those apps in general.

An Upper Limit For Apps? New Data Suggests Consumers Only Use Around Two Dozen Apps Per Month | TechCrunch

I believe the assurance that they have access to these apps when they need it (but when in fact they never download them) does play a psychological role in pushing people towards one platform or the other (refer to the years of Windows dominance for an example), but I don't believe people actually *need* a huge variety of apps like the tech journalists and geeks likes to assume by default, which is supported by the data collected. It's very common to sell people something by giving them the "rainy day" speech to lure them into a false sense of getting their money's worth, only later to find out they have overspent on something they have no need for, which by that time they are already too set and comfortable in their ways to bother to change.

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Smartphones = apps. A Smartphone without apps is just a phone. For that, a Nokia 3310 will suffice.

I don't entirely agree. The majority of smartphone use is still text, email, calender, and web browsing. The point about WP worth making, I feel, is that we shouldn't quantify the "app gap" as much as we should qualify it.

The New App Reality for Windows Phone - YouTube

It's been two months since this video was published, but everyone seems to be ignoring the point it makes about how cluttered the iOS app store and google play store are. They have thousands of apps for a flashlight! So even though the WP store is about a quarter or so of their size, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a quarter as useful; many of the apps people will use over there (minus games) have counterparts over here.

There is definitely a gap, but the size of it isn't so much the problem. I feel it is chiefly cross platform availability of popular apps, and the quality of apps in our store. Many apps are pretty, but there's many of them that just don't function like a windows phone app, they feel ported.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven