09-16-2014 05:58 PM
108 123 ...
tools
    Android on windows phone in any form (virtual machine/ apps/ kernel) is the thing which we have heard lately in leaks. I don't think it is a good idea, this means Microsoft is giving up on windows and windows developers... this is very bad move....
    There is a windows phone uservoice suggestion here
    We do NOT want Android apps on WP – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

People who agree to this should vote here.

07-13-2014 11:16 AM
    Why do you think it means that "ms is giving up on windows phone"?
    07-13-2014 11:18 AM
    Blackberry has also this option .....so?
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    07-13-2014 11:20 AM
    Android on windows phone in any form (virtual machine/ apps/ kernel) is the thing which we have heard lately in leaks. I don't think it is a good idea, this means Microsoft is giving up on windows and windows developers... this is very bad move....
    There is a windows phone uservoice suggestion here
    We do NOT want Android apps on WP – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

People who agree to this should vote here.

Again like most things on this site this is just a pure rumour. Why would Microsoft be spending millions bringing threshold (which is confirmed) to make it easier to have an app on windows and win phone and get developers interested in the platform, then spend millions on getting android apps working on both as (and I'm no developer) surely they would have to have a work around for it to work and some apps wouldn't work on some devices like android now. Just think your worrying about nothing tbh
    07-13-2014 11:22 AM
    I mean that if this happens many developers will stop developing for windows phone, native apps...
    Svoboda likes this.
    07-13-2014 11:27 AM
    Honestly if it gets people to stop whining and complaining about the lack of apps, I don't think it even matters, and I doubt the Windows store will be on the same level as the play store any time soon (or ever), with all these developers refusing to support or release apps for this platform, so why not? Lets see what happens
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    07-13-2014 11:28 AM
    evleaks has said android device with lumia name is on the way, tom warren said that nokia x is the long game of microsoft, paul thurrot also talked on this matter and today there was an article on this matter...
    07-13-2014 11:28 AM
    How's that working out for them? No one is making BlackBerry apps now so they are on their way to being essentially, an Android app launcher. Running virtualized Android apps is not very elegant. Try doing it with Bluestacks, on a Windows PC. Brutal. So we'd have creepy virtualization and even fewer native apps. That would be the "Kin" of Windows Phone.
    nohra and Svoboda like this.
    07-13-2014 11:29 AM
    My angle, ignoring personal feelings is that letting in Android apps unbridled would result in a split UX that puts Windows 8 to shame. Many Android apps do not adhere to Modern design. It will be a train wreck.

However, games could be given a pass, since they often don't adhere to any design. I think Android games would be an interesting idea. BUT I'm scared of MS doing it just because of the heyday the media and individuals pushing anti-MS agendas would have and the people who listen to them. If it looks bad, the PR cost could destroy all they have worked for.

Not doing it means nobody complains, nobody has ammo other than the age old app gap reputation that Windows Phone may never shake anyway.
    07-13-2014 11:30 AM
    Android apps on Windows Phone would be an ugly capitulation | Ars Technica

Concluding paragraph:
    "One thing is clear: Google wants its platform everywhere. At I/O it announced that it would be bringing Android apps to Chrome OS, letting Android developers target not just phones and tablets, but also laptops and desktops. Even if Microsoft gives up on its desire to encroach on what has become Google's territory—the smartphone—Google shows no signs of giving up its efforts to take a piece out of Microsoft's. With Google offering competitors to all of Microsoft's major desktop software, Microsoft's support of Android looks like an increasingly risky proposition: it strengthens Google's platform, while weakening Microsoft's own. Giving up Windows on the phone is one thing; making Android and Chrome OS a viable competitor on the corporate desktop is quite another."
    xandros9 and TechFreak1 like this.
    07-13-2014 11:30 AM
    And they are almost irrelevant with few native apps incoming. Remember OS/2? Sailfish OS?
    People don't want apps. They want Windows Phone apps. Otherwise web apps would be fine
    07-13-2014 11:31 AM
    Honestly if it gets people to stop whining and complaining about the lack of apps, I don't think it even matters, and I doubt the Windows store will be on the same level as the play store any time soon (or ever), with all these developers refusing to support or release apps for this platform, so why not? Lets see what happens
    Its a terrible idea and if its the case why does ms not spend billions and get iphone apps on there as well. If ms do put android apps on there they just as well give up as it will over run windows and wp. I for one if they do put them on there I'm out of here apple come take my money as I cant have a phone that will probably get a virus or even 1000's of just total s*#t apps on it.
    07-13-2014 11:33 AM
    I love windows phone, for its uniqueness and because it is windows phone, If I need android apps I would buy and so would anyone I think, will buy an android phone...
    Nokia x aosp is okay, but mixing it with windows phone will not be good.
    07-13-2014 11:33 AM
    And they are almost irrelevant with few native apps incoming. Remember OS/2? Sailfish OS?
    People don't want apps. They want Windows Phone apps. Otherwise web apps would be fine
    Good point my friend, good point indeed.
    07-13-2014 11:34 AM
    Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it
    CSJr1 and despertador like this.
    07-13-2014 12:35 PM
    My oppinion - bad idea, don't do it, I don't want it.
    What are those apps from android you need anyway? I have almost every app I need.
    07-13-2014 02:17 PM
    My oppinion - bad idea, don't do it, I don't want it.
    What are those apps from android you need anyway? I have almost every app I need.
    I think it'd be cheaper for them to simply email all their devs "**** you lol" for the same effect.

For me, the only apps I want are Xbox Music and Video as well as Skype. When they arrive on WP I'd be happy. The real apps, not the shadows that beat their names.
    07-13-2014 02:45 PM
    We just need fair treatment when apps are released, especially major brand apps for companys and businesses. People just release apps for iPhone and Android devices. We also need windows support. Man that market is so shallow
    07-13-2014 02:51 PM
    We just need fair treatment when apps are released, especially major brand apps for companys and businesses. People just release apps for iPhone and Android devices. We also need windows support. Man that market is so shallow
    Captain America is that you?
    07-13-2014 03:11 PM
    At first it's just rumors....second if it's not, no one forces anybody to use them.
    And thirds, no one stop's anybody from creating wp apps.
    07-13-2014 03:11 PM
    I can see why they would be tempted and I'd be amazed if they hadn't discussed it at length. Think about it, the main reason people wont switch from one OS to another is the apps - they're an investment. Take that gap away and you'll probably sell more, but the tradeoff is the loss of control and individuality.
    07-13-2014 03:27 PM
    I can see why they would be tempted and I'd be amazed if they hadn't discussed it at length. Think about it, the main reason people wont switch from one OS to another is the apps - they're an investment. Take that gap away and you'll probably sell more, but the tradeoff is the loss of control and individuality.
    Why would anyone want to buy an Android app launcher that runs things in a virtualized environment when they can just go buy an Android? I don't think I would.
    faraz98 likes this.
    07-13-2014 06:18 PM
    No, thank you. I do not want android apps on windows phone.
    faraz98 likes this.
    07-13-2014 06:24 PM
    I actually don't think this is true for the general population, but rather that of an image that is created only by the tech journalists and a handful of geeks. We've all heard the statistics that on average most people only uses about 20 apps on their smartphones (and how many of these are actually system apps? If you take away email, browser, music, photos, camera and the standard social media apps it leaves surprisngly little for 3rd party apps), taking into considering that most smartphones apps are either free or cost about 2 to 5 bucks, I don't believe people care so much about some 40 dollars (I'm being VERY generous here with the spending) worth of "investment". I think familiarity and the fear of making a wrong choice is the much bigger and self-fufilling factor and that is even harder to break out of than the "lack of apps" angle. I don't know how many times I've seen relatives and friends buying yet another Android or iPhone because the other relatives or their husband/wife or BFF uses one, despite I know full well that they don't buy *any* apps at all and only use some popular IM apps like Whatsapp or LINE (which are all free anyway on all platforms) and Facebook. It's the comfort of knowing that someone else could help/teach them when something happens that makes these people "go with the flow" so to speak. The other point about "making the wrong choice" is similar, if people aren't into tech gadgets then they don't want to be different to their friends due to social pressure etc. All these just feeds a negative spiral and is very difficult to break out of.
    faraz98 likes this.
    07-13-2014 10:24 PM
    Its a terrible idea and if its the case why does ms not spend billions and get iphone apps on there as well. If ms do put android apps on there they just as well give up as it will over run windows and wp. I for one if they do put them on there I'm out of here apple come take my money as I cant have a phone that will probably get a virus or even 1000's of just total s*#t apps on it.
    I'm just saying developers aren't developing for WP and it seems like they really don't want too, I personally could care less about apps, its just those people that always bring up the app situation are annoying as fck!
    faraz98 likes this.
    07-13-2014 10:43 PM
108 123 ...