Microsoft wants Windows Phone to be a better Android than Android

Toxid_Fox

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
So i just spotted this article over at wmpoweruser saying that Microsoft is working on bringing Android apps to WP[http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/image_thumb55.png]. Now i am not a developer nor do i understand all that is being said in the article but to me it sounds like Microsoft wants to replace Google's name with their own in the Android eco-system.

But after a little thinking do you think this might be the Threshold update? Because it would surely "upset alot of people". Are Microsoft going to support Android apps on WP's or is this just a method to make it easier for developers to port their apps?

Attachments

• image_thumb55.png
    image_thumb55.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 127

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I hope for the love of God that what are they trying to do is to make it easier for the developers to port Android Apps to Windows Phone App. I will be disappointed if they are trying to bring Android Apps into Windows Phone directly. Similar to Blackberry.

AwesomeLewis24

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh for Gods sake.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Microsoft shouldn't give into Android and allow support for it's apps - we're not 5th in the Mobile rankings and we don't need their apps. Yes, if it was easier to port apps from Android that would be great but the least I would hope of Microsoft is to follow the way of BlackBerry, who is currently biting the heels of Android and allowing Android apps to be run on BlackBerry's to hopefully gain more users. This is a desperate measure from BlackBerry as soon as Windows Phone overtook them in the rankings. I don't see why we should start running the same runtime as Android, we're at our peak and by doing that we're showing consumers that we're giving in to Android.

Just my personal opinion. :evil:

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
What I think they should is allow the source code but not the UI ; as in they make it possible to program the apps in java + acces Microsoft apis and give Apis similar to Google's but are of course compatible with WP , BUT block the UI , as in apart from games , allow only apps that respect modern UI guidelines ; I think this would be good incentive for developers since I doubt designing the UI is as costly or as tiring as rewriting the source code.
PS : I'm not a developer , actually I've just started learning C sharp , so don't mock me a lot if all I'm saying is nonsense ;)

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
What I think they should is allow the source code but not the UI ; as in they make it possible to program the apps in java + acces Microsoft apis and give Apis similar to Google's but are of course compatible with WP , BUT block the UI , as in apart from games , allow only apps that respect modern UI guidelines ; I think this would be good incentive for developers since I doubt designing the UI is as costly or as tiring as rewriting the source code.
PS : I'm not a developer , actually I've just started learning C sharp , so don't mock me a lot if all I'm saying is nonsense ;)
The question here would be: does Microsoft have enough bargaining power to put that much restriction ? If they think Microsoft is asking too much, then they could just ignore Windows Phone like they did now.

> Devs: so tell me Microsoft, why should I change my apps for your platform ? Remember, you need me to feed you but I don't need you to feed me.
Just like in recruitment interview

Take Amazon's apps store for example. Although it's the same Android platform, majority of developers don't bother publishing their apps in anywhere but iOS App Store and Google Play Store.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss