[Guide] Installing WP 8.1 Update 2 on Lumia Devices**

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried both with PfD open and PfD closed. Since the registry settings stick after reboot I do not believe it matters.

I am getting the update now, at least I think it is the right update ;)

edit 1: oh well, "the update downloaded but couldn't be installed" with an error code (8018830f).
PS: searching for the error on Bing brings up a number of sites where people post similar issues going back 2 years ago with other OS updates. Some say memory, some say not known...Some say to use Software Recovery tool and then it worked, while a hard reset did not.

and here the official word on that error from MS:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ph/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA143712
Interestingly, it describes this for the Denim update scenario...

According to the posts above it seems that a simple hard reset may not work because the image may not be 100% ok (this is my uneducated guess). Folks had better luck with the software recovery tool.

edit 2: starting over one more time. hard reset and sdcard format
No dice, same error at about the same percentage in installation. I am starting to believe it is the image on the phone that creates a recovery that does not work with the udpate. I am using the Windows Recocery Tool next to create a new image and start over from there.

last edit: Even after using WP recovery tool - nada, I give up, same error at same percentage of installation. I don't like my phone anymore.....

At least I know I can install W10 preview

Are you using the right program for flashing the rom to your phone? The way I did it I flashed a non country variant of my lumia (made the patch think its another Lumia) then proceeded with the Reg edit and such.
You need NaviFirm+, Windows phone image designer (both pc programs) and you also need the image designer driver.
NaviFirm+ to download the ROM.
Windows phone image designer to apply the flash.
The driver for the usb to become its own self contained boot loader.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Another thing I've noticed the sound from my speaker on my phone is much better, far clearer and I have to say you can hear the bass alot better even though my phone don't support equalizers due to hardware limits update 2 however smashes that!! Super happy!!!

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I may give this another try when I have lots of time. Went to bed at 0230am last night with no change. It would not install the update, no matter what I tried.
I even tried two different sdcards.

djeire84, I am not flashing a rom. Just trying to get the update. RumoredNow and Pankaj already determined that flashing a rom will not work on the RM-983 from ATT.

For now Pankaj may change the OP to "Any Nokia Lumia running OS version 8.10.14219 or higher and micro sdcard...except for people who live in Dayton Ohio"

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hardware Requirements:

1) ** Nokia Lumia with SD card capability

2) microSD card

3) USB cable

Anything for a Lumia without SD capabilities? Like a 1020.
I dont want to have the 10 TP on the phone as it is my main phone just the update 2! "how to" Guide available?
Cheers

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
For now Pankaj may change the OP to "Any Nokia Lumia running OS version 8.10.14219 or higher and micro sdcard...except for people who live in Dayton Ohio"

Well Columbus is close and it works here :p

Anything for a Lumia without SD capabilities? Like a 1020.
I dont want to have the 10 TP on the phone as it is my main phone just the update 2! "how to" Guide available?
Cheers
If you have the official Denim firmware from MS then you get the prompt to install Update 2 automatically once you enroll in W10TP through Insider. Have you tried that already? If not make sure you first uncheck "automatic download updates" under settings to auto download W10 after Update 2.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte