[Guide] Installing WP 8.1 Update 2 on Lumia Devices**

reglu

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I don?t want flash different firmware, I want download only 8.10.15148.160 via OTA... what do you suggest to do in registry with CustomWPsystem...?

Mac211

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again pankaj981 from that other post. I decided to move back to 8.1 since I still had those issues with Windows 10 even after a hard reset. I followed ur guide carefully and it installed update 2 with no problems. I am now resetting my phone as requested in the guide.

Thank you as well grozaman for posting the instructions.

Last edited:

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've seen a couple of posts that explain how a phone without the SD card can be updated to GDR2 once the phone has the Denim update and Windows Insider installed. I've got a 925, OS version 8.10.14219.341, but it's got Cyan, not Denim. Of course, no SD card on the 925. Another post shows Windows Insider will go right to W10, rather than GDR2 with 8.10.14219. Has anyone successfully got GDR2 on a non-SD card phone?

Has anyone updated to GDR2 on a Cyan OS? How about successfully forcing Denim onto a Cyan, then updating to GDR2?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a couple of posts that explain how a phone without the SD card can be updated to GDR2 once the phone has the Denim update and Windows Insider installed. I've got a 925, OS version 8.10.14219.341, but it's got Cyan, not Denim. Of course, no SD card on the 925. Another post shows Windows Insider will go right to W10, rather than GDR2 with 8.10.14219. Has anyone successfully got GDR2 on a non-SD card phone?

Has anyone updated to GDR2 on a Cyan OS? How about successfully forcing Denim onto a Cyan, then updating to GDR2?

What ROM are you on? If you are on Denim (firmware) then you get Update 2 first before W10TP. I have it on my 920

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I haven't received yesterday's "critical reboot fix update", have you guys get it @pankaj981 & @djeire84 ??

L520 update 2

No I didn't get it and I don't expect to as my L520 us working fine and since I got update 2 on reg edit I don't think ill be getting updates. I didn't get it but I'm not going to rule it out completely.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I haven't received yesterday's "critical reboot fix update", have you guys get it @pankaj981 & @djeire84 ??
L520 update 2

Nope I did not get it on my 830 but I don't have the random reboots either. My 920 is running on W10TP and hasn't received the update as well. One thing I don't know yet, was this update an OS update or whether a firmware update. If it was an OS update then we know how to get it :)

ca_guri

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
One thing I don't know yet, was this update an OS update or whether a firmware update

I think no body knows what kind of update it was - os/fw.. at least till now.

If it was an OS update then we know how to get it :)
Since I got update 2 on reg edit I don't think ill be getting updates.

It means we didn't get any firmware update for our phones because we do the reg hack to update our phones ??

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I think no body knows what kind of update it was - os/fw.. at least till now.

It means we didn't get any firmware update for our phones because we do the reg hack to update our phones ??

No all we did was get a OS update but if there is firmware we will get it. Update 2 is software and "Denim" is the firmware.

marcx987

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone experience any issues with any apps after upgrading to update 2. Can't get Skype to work on my 1520. This is after a hard reset. Tried to install on microsd/ internal nothing works. After a hard reset the preinstalled app runs but tells to install update which breaks it.
Went from stock att wp8.1 rom to update 2

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I haven't experienced the Skype issue directly, since I don't actually have anyone to call using Skype.

However, I've noticed a number of apps I previously had are now listed in the Store under My Apps as not being available for my device.

It appears that this upgrade, like Windows 10, has APIs that break a number of apps and many apps will need to be updated for both GDR2 and Win10.

It's like the Windows Central app not allowing people to log in if they are using W10TP for Mobile.

ca_guri

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
It's like the Windows Central app not allowing people to log in if they are using W10TP for Mobile.

This is because windows central is using internet explorer for login and since I.E. is removed from 10136 TP, people are facing such login issues with all the apps that uses internet explorer for login.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This is because windows central is using internet explorer for login and since I.E. is removed from 10136 TP, people are facing such login issues with all the apps that uses internet explorer for login.

Ah! So that's it! Sounds like a lot of apps will need to be updated, then.

bssnik

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Lumia denim with my Lumia 925? How can I get gdr2? Through windows insider in "about" my branch is "WPB_CXE_R1".. So I would get directly w10 not gdr2. I'm Country variant Germany

ca_guri

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

R1 , R2 branch has no connection with GDR2 update. Since you are on Lumia denim, you will get the GDR 2 update directly via windows insider app. Just select fast ring in insider app and check for updates, when it find the update then check the details of the update for confirmation whether it is update 2 or not and make sure after downloading the update uninstall the insider app and uncheck the check box of "Automatically download the updates if available"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster