[Guide] Installing WP 8.1 Update 2 on Lumia Devices**

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Description

This guide will show you how to impersonate another device and get WP 8.1 Update 2 (OS version 8.10.15137.148)

Warning:

1) Changes made to your phone are not permanent and can be restored using Lumia Software Recovery Tool or Windows Phone Recovery Tool

2) I would not be taking responsibility if you accidentally brick your phone so please ask questions before proceeding

Software Requirements:

1) **Any Nokia Lumia running OS version 8.10.14219 or higher. If you are on a lower version please check for updates from your carrier/Microsoft or update using Preview for Developers

2) Start with a clean software, i.e. reset your phone before proceeding (make sure Preview for Developers is not installed)

3) Files Needed (download link)
** I do not own these files. They were linked from this thread **

a) SDK 8.1 Lite.zip (*** install this after download ***)
b) CustomPFD_0003.xap
c) CustomWPSystem_0500.xap

Hardware Requirements:

1) ** Nokia Lumia with SD card capability

2) microSD card

3) USB cable

Process: Part 1 - Preparation

1) Hard reset phone using hardware key combination (Reference)

2) Go through setup process, update all system and preloaded apps

3) Storage Sense >> phone >> apps+games >> select all >> uninstall all apps

4) Storage Sense >> Store new apps on my "phone"

5) Connect phone to PC using USB

6) PC >> Start Menu >> Programs >> Windows Phone Developer Registration >> Register >> Enter MS Account >> Done >> Close

7) PC >> Start Menu >> Programs >> Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1 >> Target = Device; App = "pathoffile\CustomWPSystem_0500.xap" >> Open >> Deploy >> Deploying File >> App deployment complete. >> Close

8) Verify if CustomWPSystem shows up in app list

9) PC >> Explorer >> My Computer >> Select Phone >> SD Card >> Documents >> Move CustomPFD_0003.xap here >> Done

9) Storage Sense >> Store new apps on my "SD Card" >> Done

10) Store >> Download Preview for Developers >> Let it install >> Don't open after install >> Pin to Start >> Done

11) Open CustomWPSystem >> Click on red bar "SD Card permissions" >> Select "sd card" >> Press "done" (check mark below) >> red bar turns green

12) Scroll down under "Modding selected app", select "Select the XAP" >> Phone >> sd card >> Documents >> Select "CustomPFD_0003.xap" >> Apply XAP >> Wait till you see popup "Operation completed!...." >> Done >> Close app

Process: Part 2 - Registry Edits

1) Open previously pinned Preview for Developers app >> HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetInfo

2) Edit Registry:
** Note down the registry keys before editing them. To avoid resetting, revert back to default registry entries and skip 4) **

PhoneMobileOperatorName >> 000-88 >> Write
PhoneManufacturerModelName >> WinWin >> Write
PhoneManufacturer >> HIGHSCREEN >> Write

** Registry edits are restored to default with hard reset **

3) Settings >> phone update >> check for updates >> Install Updates >> Done

4) Reset after updates are installed >> Start fresh

Please thank grozaman for posting this method here

​Post below if you have any questions.

Last edited:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes this works to prove it here is a screenshot of mine just updated using his instructions.
76bd9d74b1c2313788dcc07cd32a1246.png

ca_guri

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Is it necessary to hard reset before registry hack, I mean can't I directly hack the registry, then update my phone and then hard reset.. ??

Solomon Paul

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks panka981 , I could install update 2 on my Lumia 520.
I have an issue though. My volume buttons are not working. How do I reset my phone to get back the proper model name ?
Does setting->about-> reset my phone work ?

Solomon Paul

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks panka981 , I could install update 2 on my Lumia 520.
I have an issue though. My volume buttons are not working. How do I reset my phone to get back the proper model name ?
Does setting->about-> reset my phone work ?

UNIX based

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The Windows Phone Developer registration has been on Trying to detect a windows phone device connect to this Computer for a long time a seems stuck.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
finally got some time to try this. I hope I can change this post soon. For now it has been sitting at "Checking for updates...." at step 3 of Part 2 for 45min. Not sure what to make of it yet....

edit 1: ok, after more than 45min I am at least getting a "problems connecting to server" error. Maybe I should reboot and try again.

edit 2: after reboot, registry settings are still set to impersonate a different phone, but it keeps sitting at "Checking for updates..." again for now.

in the back of my mind I think that ATT is secretly following this thread and locked my phone remotely - ha

edit 3: finally after some long waiting I am getting an update and it is installing.

Last edited:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Have you faced any problem yet ??

Nope no problems as of yet. Pretty happy with it. Great now.

Far more responsive. Super fast switching between apps, great to have the settings area in sections much easier and quicker to find things, the keyboard is super fast too and autocorrect is really good too vast improvement, the phone itself looks brighter (don't ask me why). Lumia camera pictures are really clear dare I say much better.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
finally got some time to try this. I hope I can change this post soon. For now it has been sitting at "Checking for updates...." at step 3 of Part 2 for 45min. Not sure what to make of it yet....

edit 1: ok, after more than 45min I am at least getting a "problems connecting to server" error. Maybe I should reboot and try again.

in the back of my mind I think that ATT is secretly following this thread and locked my phone remotely - ha

Took me a while to check for updates after I put in the registry values, I think it took about 50 mins to find it then once it was found it was plain sailing from there.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
thanks for your post. That makes me feel better. I will just keep trying...

Yes do I thought I wasn't getting it but I just waited and waited and the little message popped up update available. Can I ask do you close the PFD app and then look for update or do you have it open, tap the start (middle) button then look for updates?
I left the app open, pressed start, swiped to settings and looked that way. I kept my phone plugged into the wall if your battery level falls below a certain level it wont find updates.

UNIX based

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

edit 2: after reboot, registry settings are still set to impersonate a different phone, but it keeps sitting at "Checking for updates..." again for now.

I guess their on me as well as i cant even get past the first step. lol For me it seems they like to try to get you hopes and then hit you with a bunch of problems and obstacles to toy with me lol jk. Anyway good luck i am sure you will figure it out :)

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried both with PfD open and PfD closed. Since the registry settings stick after reboot I do not believe it matters.

I am getting the update now, at least I think it is the right update ;)

edit 1: oh well, "the update downloaded but couldn't be installed" with an error code (8018830f).
PS: searching for the error on Bing brings up a number of sites where people post similar issues going back 2 years ago with other OS updates. Some say memory, some say not known...Some say to use Software Recovery tool and then it worked, while a hard reset did not.

and here the official word on that error from MS:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ph/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA143712
Interestingly, it describes this for the Denim update scenario...

According to the posts above it seems that a simple hard reset may not work because the image may not be 100% ok (this is my uneducated guess). Folks had better luck with the software recovery tool.

edit 2: starting over one more time. hard reset and sdcard format
No dice, same error at about the same percentage in installation. I am starting to believe it is the image on the phone that creates a recovery that does not work with the udpate. I am using the Windows Recocery Tool next to create a new image and start over from there.

last edit: Even after using WP recovery tool - nada, I give up, same error at same percentage of installation. I don't like my phone anymore.....

At least I know I can install W10 preview

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3