Legacy PHones no Apollo Update, will get 7.8 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with wiping the device? How much effort does it honestly take for Microsoft to write an upgrade program that backups all our files on the computer before wiping? How much capacity does our phones have? 16 GB?

Not wanting to "wipe" our devices is a nonsensical reason not to upgrade.

Has nothing to do with Microsoft. Carriers said no to that. Its upgrade or nothing.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You just bought a phone that you're stuck with for the next two years that's getting cut off. That sucks. The iPhone 3GS is getting iOS 6, and it's three years old. Your phone is two months old if you bought a 900.

Windows Phone 8 Looks Great, but It Screws Existing Users

Enjoy your no new apps from here on out situation.
The 3Gs is only getting the parts of iOS 6 it can handle, period end of story. So is the iPhone 4, and the 4S. If your phone is not Siri compatible, it won't magically become so. The RUMORED 7.8 upgrade is no different. Where 1st and 2nd Gen phones are not able to handle it, they won't get it.

Not sure why you think Apples support is so much better when it is exactly the same thing. WP7 owners will be happy with their support, I guarantee it.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with wiping the device? How much effort does it honestly take for Microsoft to write an upgrade program that backups all our files on the computer before wiping? How much capacity does our phones have? 16 GB?

Its more work than just that. The device manufacturers would have to completely rewrite drivers to support the new kernel.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

It's not about not "wanting" to. It's about the logistics involved.

It's a huge undertaking just to do a regular update. And there are still a lot of problems that many users have.

Now multiply that by... A LOT. The customer service problems would end up being a huge nightmare. The support costs would be through the roof. The unforseen challenges could be unlimited.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Anything that is currently missing worth having is missing because it needs native code.
No, a lot of what is currently missing has to do with OS and API features. There are very few apps out there that need to use native code. MS hasn't said what features that 7.8 is or is not getting.

I think people are blowing this out of proportion until MS actually details what 7.8 is including.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You're not thinking like a developer.

Developers will want to have the largest install base possible.
They like easier development because it saves time and money.

Unless they HAVE TO use native code, they won't.

It's easier and faster to develop apps in .NET. And .NET apps will still work on WP7.8.

I agree with you ont he install base. But that concept applies to big developer more or less. I develop apps in my free time when I get off work. I got interested in WP when Nokia Lumia 900 came out. I develop 2 apps in the WP Market to test the water, and I'm working on several apps idea I have right now. I know for sure I won't have time for the old platform, and I am pretty sure all the indie and small developers would be in the same boat.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Many, if not most, W8 apps will require very few changes to work on WP7.8. They won't be using native code. They'll be using WinRT, which is very similar to .NET.

But doesn't appear to be supported on WP 7.8. So apps written using RT are a no go.

No, a lot of what is currently missing has to do with OS and API features. There are very few apps out there that need to use native code. MS hasn't said what features that 7.8 is or is not getting.

I think people are blowing this out of proportion until MS actually details what 7.8 is including.

I think if WP8 apps would run on 7.8 they would have mentioned it. Instead they kept going on and on about WP7 apps running on WP8. They basically said "we're giving you a new start screen and live tiles so you won't feel like you just completely took it up the rear end."

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The 3Gs is only getting the parts of iOS 6 it can handle, period end of story. So is the iPhone 4, and the 4S. If your phone is not Siri compatible, it won't magically become so. The RUMORED 7.8 upgrade is no different. Where 1st and 2nd Gen phones are not able to handle it, they won't get it.

Not sure why you think Apples support is so much better when it is exactly the same thing. WP7 owners will be happy with their support, I guarantee it.

The 3GS can't even handle iOS 5. I mean, it works, but it feels sluggish.

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site

add the resize tiles
ability to delete more than one pic on albums

And im happy

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. Outside of the more intense games, or games that run on top of a commercial engine, not many apps require native code.

The thing holding many app developers back is the install base, not the native code access. Sure, there are some that need native code. But they're the exception rather than the rule.

WP8 will increase the install base, and in turn, bring more developers on board. Just like Zynga is coming on board with Words With Friends and Draw Something. Two games that will more than likely be written to run on 7.8.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, because the 3Gs is 3 years old. Most people got their Lumias in the last two months. There's an enormous difference.

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
But doesn't appear to be supported on WP 7.8. So apps written using RT are a no go.

I think if WP8 apps would run on 7.8 they would have mentioned it. Instead they kept going on and on about WP7 apps running on WP8. They basically said "we're giving you a new start screen and live tiles so you won't feel like you just completely took it up the rear end."

Sure sounded like it. They kept going mentioning giving us the windows 8 experience and always mentioned the start screen.

Then Nokia to release apps...

So yea, its pretty much a throw in.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you ont he install base. But that concept applies to big developer more or less. I develop apps in my free time when I get off work. I got interested in WP when Nokia Lumia 900 came out. I develop 2 apps in the WP Market to test the water, and I'm working on several apps idea I have right now. I know for sure I won't have time for the old platform, and I am pretty sure all the indie and small developers would be in the same boat.

Is it about having time for the old platform?

Creating an app using native code would require more time to do, and give you fewer users. Unless your app is something that absolutely requires native code development, it doesn't make sense to do so.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

RT isnt a programming language its a collection of APIs. It supports all of the existing languages.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Small tweaks will need to be made. But RT is pretty close to Silverlight.

Well, that ends up being a matter of semantics. You don't really call something a "WP8 app" unless its one of the ones that are designed to only run on WP8 and above.

If you create a brand new app that can run on both, you call is a WP7 app.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The biggest fear I have is if they stop selling WP7 devices completely, even in the emerging markets.

However, if WP7 devices are still available in the emerging markets as budget devices, we'll still see developer support for years and years to come.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Sure sounded like it. They kept going mentioning giving us the windows 8 experience and always mentioned the start screen.

Then Nokia to release apps...

So yea, its pretty much a throw in.

MAYBE it will include some of the other new features and APIs and allow us to run WP8 apps that don't require managed code. I'm not holding my breath though. I knew buying that Lumia in May was a bad idea. Sad thing is that my boys who are running a Surround and Titan will probably both be able to get WP8 through hacked ROMs. No sign of them for the 900 though.

Now it looks like I can either try to save up for a phone or a Surface. No way I will be able to afford both unless I go find a second job.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually reasonably happy with the 7.8 update path and look forward to hearing more about the features we'll be getting with it.

In some ways, I can understand the anger that some users are feeling, that we might not get all of the fancy new software stuff because it hasn't been announced yet. But on the other hand, it's also kind of insane to be pissed about not getting WP8 because of all the extra stuff that is in it that current phones simply cannot support.

Why are people annoyed at not getting the Wallet app when their current phone doesn't have NFC can so can't make use of it? Why are people frustrated by their phones not being able to support screen resolutions beyond what their handset is specced for?

I admit I will be disappointed if the deep skype integration doesn't come with 7.8, but we'll have to wait and see what exactly we will get with it. For now, I'm glad to be getting any update at all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers