Legacy PHones no Apollo Update, will get 7.8 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MAYBE it will include some of the other new features and APIs and allow us to run WP8 apps that don't require managed code. I'm not holding my breath though. I knew buying that Lumia in May was a bad idea. Sad thing is that my boys who are running a Surround and Titan will probably both be able to get WP8 through hacked ROMs. No sign of them for the 900 though.

Now it looks like I can either try to save up for a phone or a Surface. No way I will be able to afford both unless I go find a second job.

Keep an eye on xda-developers. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a hacked ROM for the Lumia line of phones within a few months of WP8 release.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You're not thinking like a developer.

Developers will want to have the largest install base possible.
They like easier development because it saves time and money.

Unless they HAVE TO use native code, they won't.

It's easier and faster to develop apps in .NET. And .NET apps will still work on WP7.8.

Is it about having time for the old platform?

Creating an app using native code would require more time to do, and give you fewer users. Unless your app is something that absolutely requires native code development, it doesn't make sense to do so.

It has everything to do with the time. You can either develop a really simple app that works on both WP7/WP8 but without the new APIs, a WP8 app that has all the new features that doesn't work in WP7, or two versions of the same app but require time to think which features not to include. Software development is not a magical process...

Anyway I don't understand why you kept on mentioning the native code. Even with .Net or C# it takes time when you are creating a different version of the same app. Anyway you can stay enthusiastic all you want, but to stay consistant with this thread...the current WP7 users are more or less screwed (more so for the 2-months old Nokia Lumia 900 owners). I am suspecting we will not see a lot of major apps feature like the new Skype's WP8 background integration in WP7.8 because of lack of APIs.

Last edited:

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously laughing at the people in this thread complaining about this. Did you magically expect your phone to have an NFC chip and a higher resolution?

Ummm no but I didn't expect to be turned into a second class citizen when it comes to the ecosystem.

I don't think people saying, " did you think your resolution would get bumped to 720p, NFC chips to magically appear, etc" understand the soon to be tumbleweed infested ecosystem for WP 7.5 is going to become once the SDK hits.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm all good with these news. I think it will be a great update, I am looking forward to it. I have seen far worse on other platforms.

Marketplace will continue to grow and with very little effort developers can create a version for both.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Having 7.8 vs 8 is a bummer but it doesnt matter unless we are missing key features.
Will 7.8 get voip integration? I guess the big thing is knowing what 7.8 will get and wont get. If its quite a bit of features like the voice recognition and voip integration then im happy with my titan until my upgrade in a little over a year. If not then i will be going to be trying to get an early upgrade.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You're not thinking like a developer.

Developers will want to have the largest install base possible.
They like easier development because it saves time and money.

Unless they HAVE TO use native code, they won't.

It's easier and faster to develop apps in .NET. And .NET apps will still work on WP7.8.

You are missing the huge point. Windows 8 operating system both x86/x64 and WinRT being sold on Dell, Lenovo, ASUS, HP, etc and its huge install base. Potentially 1 billion customers or the 10 million legacy users? Where are you going to invest?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It has everything to do with the time. You can either develop a really simple app that works on both WP7/WP8 but without the new APIs, a WP8 app that has all the new features that doesn't work in WP7, or two versions of the same app but require time to think which features not to include. Software development is not a magical process...

Anyway I don't understand why you kept on mentioning the native code. Even with .Net or C# it takes time when you are creating a different version of the same app. Anyway you can stay enthusiastic all you want, but to stay consistant with this thread...the current WP7 users are more or less screwed (more so for the 2-months old Nokia Lumia 900 owners). I am suspecting we will not see a lot of major apps feature like the new Skype's WP8 background integration in WP7.8 because of lack of APIs.

We'll agree to disagree. I don't believe that most apps really need the new APIs. And if they don't need the new APIs, then it doesn't make sense to only code in a way that only runs on WP8.

Will there be some? Sure. Of course.

That's hardly "screwed" though. WP7 is still a mighty fine OS. And that's what people bought.

CAVX

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I totally understand why this decision was made. It would be incredibly difficult for 7.5 users to get the upgrade without causing a bunch of problems going forward. I think "clean slate " is the best approach for WP8.

Because of that, I'm actually very appreciative of the fact that current users will get an upgrade to 7.8. The ecosystem will slowly diminish, sure, but it won't be dead and we already have 100,000 apps that do a bunch of great things. As a rule of thumb for people with bad attitudes about this: don't buy a something under the assumption that you'll get anything other than what it is at that very moment. Windows 7.5 is still very solid, and 7.8 will still give existing users a great new Start screen.

I'm actually not in a bad position. I'm off-contract because I won a Lumia 800 from a dev contest. I figure that I'll hop on board the Windows Phone 8 train right away and grab a contract in order to do so. My fiancee is less fortunate - she bought her Focus Flash earlier this year. Remains to be seen whether or not we hold out with 7.8 for her or shell out for a new phone. I do admit, a buyback program would be great.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I did not upgrade although was tempted by the Nokia 900. I will wait now and see what new hardware is on offer for WP8. Its a bit disappointing that current gen phones will not be upgradable to Wp8 but atleast get some features with Wp7.8.

Atleast I'm happy I don't own an Android - still on 7.1% of devices have Android ICS 4.0 lol

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Suggestion for Microsoft and OEMs to "rectify" the "no WP8 for legacy devices" issue

Work with carriers to make a special upgrade program for those who bought one of the newer Windows Phone in 2012 such as Lumia 900, Focus 2, and Titan II.

What I'm trying to say is to find a way to delight those who bought one of the "newer" phones.

Agree? Disagree? Other suggestions?

EDIT: By "special upgrade" I mean a super early upgrade to a WP8 phone.

EDIT 2: Making a note that it is perfectly understood that Microsoft and their partners may very well do nothing, but it would be nice if they did. That is the gist of this post.

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Heck, even give us the option of buying a Windows 8 device at $300 or $350. Better than the $500-$600 the devices will cost unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium