Legacy PHones no Apollo Update, will get 7.8 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
And?

I have the HTC HD7, which is basically the same phone. I've had it for 2 years, and i've got every update for WP7 so far, and i still have the 7.8 update coming, so i'll have had just the same amount of support, app support for my phone won't dry up next week.

Well, good for you then. If I were you I would be happy too, thats how a flag ship phone should be supported. But I bought my HTC Titan just months ago and now it is already obsolete.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
But I bought my HTC Titan just months ago and now it is already obsolete.

obsolete? i ditn relies WP7.8 was going to stop our phones from working.... oh wait its not...
did you buy your phone cause you liked it or cause you where expecting WP8 after reading the rumors?

And 99% of the rumors where saying that WP7 was NOT gona get WP8... yet people still got phones expecting it did....

so even if you did read into rumors about WP8 update ..you should of still had the right info...
if you din't,
then you ether dint know and still got the phone witch means you MUST of liked it for what it IS/was..

so complaints at this point have no credibility

Am I the only one seeing a problem here?

1. If you did research 99% of rumors claimed NO WP8 update...
2. If you did not do research then thats your problems for not being smart shopper.
3. If people buy a phone 1 month ago and the phones been out for 6months.. its 6 months not 1.
4. Anything over 3-4months is considered a dinosaurs in technologies.
5. WP8 is still 3-4 months away ( refer back to point4 )

PS: MS made more cash on people buying *paper weights* then Cash they will lose from unhappy clients... smart business move on MS's part. bad customer rapport doh..

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I can admit to fault and the desire did get ice cream sandwich, but did it negate the devices that I have stated that didn't get ics yet? No. Current t-mo my touch lines aren't getting ics, and the new ones coming out in august are getting gingerbread. I could go on, but you can't own your side of an argument.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I can admit to fault and the desire did get ice cream sandwich, but did it negate the devices that I have stated that didn't get ics yet? No. Current t-mo my touch lines aren't getting ics, and the new ones coming out in august are getting gingerbread. I could go on, but you can't own your side of an argument.

Well, my argument was that a flagship device should be treated like the Desire, or HD7. Not get abandoned within the first 6 months.

I think the situation in USA is a little different, where I live (Europe) we don't have phones customized by the operators. Even locked ones are getting rare. Which means we get updates to the phones as soon as the OEM releases it. My HTC Titan got its updates just days after they got published, since no operator was involved.

There is probably some budget Android that won't get ICS, but I can't think of one mid or high end device from last year that won't get it. And even if you buy a cheap Gingerbread phone without ICS, it will be able to run most new apps in a couple of years to come.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Again, you don't know what 7.8 will stop your phone from doing. So since no one has proof of that, I'm not about to sit here and go to war about assumptions.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, my argument was that a flagship device should be treated like the Desire, or HD7. Not get abandoned within the first 6 months.

And i'm sure Microsoft would have loved to do that. But sometimes its just not practical, or economically viable.

Maybe Microsoft should have rewritten the WP7 kernel to handle multi-core processors, so the titan, Lumia 900, etc could have come with hardware that would have been upgradable.

On one hand, that makes all the current moaners happy. On the other hand, it makes people pay extra for multi-core hardware, when the OS wouldn't support the extra cores, but people would have the promise of an OS upgrade in 9 months time.

The bad point about that, is you still annoy all the single core WP7 users, and basically admit to the death of WP7, but instead of doing it 3-4 months in advance, you announce it 9-10 months early, thus killing a lot of future support from developers.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

not to be an *** but the L900 will be over 7-8months old when WP8 comes out...

under 6months I would understand, but over 6 months is not a *short * amount of time in telecommunication its actually an eternity.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
two issues

not to be an *** but the L900 will be over 7-8months old when WP8 comes out...

under 6months I would understand, but over 6 months is not a *short * amount of time in telecommunication its actually an eternity.

First, should a phone of one year old get updates? I believe it should. Microsoft critized Google big time for fragmentation. Steve Balmer declared "We update" in reference to Google not updating androind phones. It is not google's policy not updating android phones. It is OEMs. If Microsoft allowed OEM to convert wp7 to wp8, all focus will be on OEMs. We can all agree that technically it is not that hard to convert. The reason is economical.

Second, assume that everyone be OK with no updating after 1 year. The bigger issue of the two is phone's incompatibility with future apps. Especially at the time WP7 is criticized for its selection of apps and app quality. One example, both my daughters play instruments. I could not find a good tuner app for wp7. There are more than 10 good apps for android and iPhones (ipod).

wp7.8 is only cosmetic update in my opinion.

By the way, thank you for stopping the rudeness among early posts.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
First, should a phone of one year old get updates? I believe it should. Microsoft critized Google big time for fragmentation. Steve Balmer declared "We update" in reference to Google not updating androind phones. It is not google's policy not updating android phones. It is OEMs. If Microsoft allowed OEM to convert wp7 to wp8, all focus will be on OEMs. We can all agree that technically it is not that hard to convert. The reason is economical.

Second, assume that everyone be OK with no updating after 1 year. The bigger issue of the two is phone's incompatibility with future apps. Especially at the time WP7 is criticized for its selection of apps and app quality. One example, both my daughters play instruments. I could not find a good tuner app for wp7. There are more than 10 good apps for android and iPhones (ipod).

well out of all the WP the L900 ( out of 15+ ) is the only one that really deserves the update ..(maybe the T2 as well)

MS claims that this is probably the last time we are going to have the * no-update* problem witch is understandable cause they have been using the same kernels from 1998!!! and now all future updates will run on the same APIs/kernels.

every single OS done this at SOME POINT and id rather MS do it now then later.
IF the market share do grow id rather MS piss of the 50k clients now then the 50million+ potential clients in the future!!

and yes it be a ***** to have every single OEM/RTM create drivers for the new update when we can already barely get them to release the current updates on time. the update would also require flashing the devices witch can also lead to problems and more $$ lost

Regarding the apps:

first of all keep in mind that WP is still a BABY compare to Iphone and Android so its normal we have less apps not to mention WP IS the fastest growing Marketplace right now ( fact ) soo the potential of better apps does exist and i believe will continue to roll in as they currently are... go back 6month we had ZERO official apps., now we have hundreds.

the DEv that support Android basically need to create their apps 3 times for 3 different versions , and these are the same DEV developing across WP , IOS , ANDROID , RIm etc.... I dont think they will simply stop supporting WP7.8 . sure we will have exclusive APPS on WP8 just like on the newest version of Android but we will also see the same apps on both versions.

only time will really tell what the end game is , but i think this is gona be the last time in a LOOONG time we see such a *problem* :happy:

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You two try to be technical but if you really wanna get technical, there is an update coming to the l900 and it's called 7.8

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

lJuqs.gif

iFalcon

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
Good morning. I'm a little late to the WM8 party. Could someone make a recommendation a good review that shows the new features?

I Spiritus I

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I was a bit disappointed when I heard that my Lumia 900 that was just bought was not going to getting WP8 but I'm not overly bothered about it. It's partly down to myself not doing enough research and Nokia pushing out new phones quickly. It won't however make me run to Apple or Android. I love the WP7 and WP7.8 interfaces. For most people they won't really notice the difference between the two until well down the line when the app markets maybe split up a bit, but once that happens I imagine most people would be onto a WP8 handset.

At the end of the day I will be upgrading to a new phone with WP8 this year and getting a Surface tablet as I see it that I'm supporting WP and the franchise. I really want it to be able to take on the dominating and over priced Apple hardware.

S.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Avoiding all new handsets until we see how the cycle plays out. [unless htc knocks one out the park]. Are the phones now 1 major update and done. Excluding the Nokia Lumia 900, which I feel was something to fill the time. I want to see if the new phones will get a major update support. MS says for 18 months, yeah cool, but how long will it take for updates to be released.

Fragmentation is what the ****ty part is going to be.

LOL @ 6 months being that much more than 5 months. WPFBGTS

To the person talking about the ICS update. I agree, it added nothing to my GS2, that I could notice. I think some of these updates are just to add a few new "features" and bug fixes.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think for me the 7.8 will be important because at this point I'm not going to update my device that being the HD7 which is due for an update in November. On US T-MO and there isn't anything there that I like. if the offering was the L920 or the ATIVs then I would. So I'm going to hold on and see what 2013 brings in no point in buying what I don't want just for the sake of buying a new device like I did with the L710.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon