Why WP8 not coming to WP7 devices makes sense.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
10% of the price to exchange with new device (if Microsoft and OEM ensist on not giving WP8 to older device) sounds like a great deal for me.
Or maybe getting new device with subsidized price with old contract for those who doesn't get their phone unlocked.

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
98% of people whining don't even own a windows phone, and at least 70% of them don't even want or would ever buy one. It's just Android and iPhone fanboys creating a lot of noise to "harm" WP and make the OS, platform and Microsoft look bad. It's a virtual propaganda war, fought entirely by volunteers in unorganized packs that identify themselves only by the side they are standing on. It's comparable to every single civil war based on ethnicity/religion ever in human history....that's what is happening here. People who think they belong to a group stick to their group and fight against "the other one".

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I disagree, most of the people complaining are Windows Phone owners. Android users have the same problem most of the time so for them that's a none-issue. look at the Vivid it came out months ago but it will get the equivalent of 7.8. Its the same thing

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
98% of people whining don't even own a windows phone, and at least 70% of them don't even want or would ever buy one. It's just Android and iPhone fanboys creating a lot of noise to "harm" WP and make the OS, platform and Microsoft look bad. It's a virtual propaganda war, fought entirely by volunteers in unorganized packs that identify themselves only by the side they are standing on. It's comparable to every single civil war based on ethnicity/religion ever in human history....that's what is happening here. People who think they belong to a group stick to their group and fight against "the other one".

Well, I guess if there is people here pretending to have a WP just to bash it, they have more problem then we do.

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I didn't bother to read anything past the first post cause of all the trolling going around by the extreme fanboys, but yeah--it makes sense--being extremely quiet about the issue and then that whole "yes it does, no it doesn't" thing that happened a while ago pretty much alluded to the fact that Microsoft was probably unsure about what they were doing with WP8 at that time (or at least there was a messy deliberation about the update). All in all, I want to put this on record before some ****** accuses me of being ~dramatic~: I just think MS could've thought this out better. Obviously, I'll be sticking to the ecosystem because this IS the Microsoft vision.

Gemini Ace

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Look at it this way. Microsoft obviously doesn't want to tell the direction it is going ahead of time to keep competition at bay. That said, it also means the while the 900 and Titan 2 were first being release, they knew it wasn't getting WP8 but weren't about to tell customers. It is about money and I get it. But I really don't like it.

So when you bought your Lumia or Titan you really thought you would get Windows 8? If that's the case, I think you need to measure your expectations of the industry a bit. And really, if just the knowledge that there's a newer OS on the horizon makes you hate your current phone, then I feel bad for you.

That being said, everything the OP said was true. I had a iPhone 3G and when the 3GS came out and everyone got the upgrade, my phone acted sluggish. The experience was not the same, and I knew it was because Apple wanted me to upgrade my phone. Well, I did upgrade, to a WP7. There have been some hiccups along the way, but all in all my WP7 devices have been a great experience. I look forward to 7.8 and then eventually 8 when my next upgrade comes around.

My only complaint is I want to be able to take screenshots.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
?windows phone do not need dual core blah blah blah? ? WP7 ******
?windows phone do not need high res display blah blah blah? ? WP7 ****** #2

?current windows phone won?t be upgraded because they don?t have dual core processors and high res displays? ? Microsoft.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There likely isn't a single person that would not WANT to have higher-end hardware. But that doesn't mean the platform suffers because it didn't have it. Everyone that hates on Windows Phone phone based on irrational paper points like that usually have zero idea of the benefits of the platform. The benefits have out-weighted Android and iOS for me by a long shot. This is also probably why I'm not freaking out about not getting an upgrade for another platform that won't even launch till later this year.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm kinda confused on the whole thing.

I watched a video on youtube about WP8 supporting multi-cores, NFC, and 720p+ displays, even the current display which is 800x400. But WP8 added support to those stuff for new wave of devices. Now I know they've used a different kernel on WP8 and "re-imagined" windows, but in theory it should still be possible to run WP8 on current hardware.

In Apple world, iP3GS is still supported but doesn't have the same experience as iP4/S. No Siri, Retina-app support is useless. Its understandable = You need new hardware. What Apple has done to this, is to support 3GS as a low-end iPhone so people would still but it - and they still do. But as Apple brings the so-called "new" iOS 6 experience to the 3GS, its just not the same without required hardware.

But the difference is that iOS 6 is still a revision from iOS 5, only with added features. WP7 to WP8 is the kind of "new" experience. Microsoft could have chosen to bring the whole WP8 to current devices and let certain software features unusable (eg. NFC), it still could make current WP devices as low-end WP8 phones. If you're going to bash some kernel stuff into this, it doesn't matter. If an old HD2 can run 8 OS's (that is including Win 95, 98, and XP), then why not current WP devices run WP8? Is it because they're missing NFC? No 720p display? No dual-core? Doesn't matter. Microsoft could still bring WP8 to current devices and market them as low-end WP8 phones, they just chose not to because they're missing optional hardware just as what they did with HD2.

This is what I'm confused about: What will low-end WP8 devices look like? Will they have single core processor with 800x400 screen res and no NFC? Or make WP7 be marketed as the low-end WP8 phone and cause app fragmentation - being WP8 apps ≠ WP7 phones?

If someone can shine some light on me because I have no idea what I have just said, but I think you get it.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
?windows phone do not need dual core blah blah blah? ? WP7 ******
?windows phone do not need high res display blah blah blah? ? WP7 ****** #2

?current windows phone won?t be upgraded because they don?t have dual core processors and high res displays? ? Microsoft.

That was never the argument.

Some people argued that WP7 wasn't competitive because of specs. The counter to that point was that WP7 doesn't NEED high specs to be a pleasant experience.

Microsoft, with WP8, is basically writing a whole new operating system. So, yes, WP8 probably is going to need dual core and high res displays, because MS is coding the OS specifically for those specs.

Current Windows phones won't be upgraded because its a different OS, basically.

I just realized I spent 30 seconds typing this out - what a waste of time. Nevermind, continue trolling.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Why can't they do this for mobile device too

Windows 7 (desktop) != Windows Phone 7

Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista all use the same kernel and device drivers. Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 7.x do not. Microsoft can't just wave their wand and "poof!" the WP8 device drivers for legacy phones just magically appear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster