Windows Phone 8 & The Start Screen [My Take]

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I still dont get why people are arguing about this.....

the funny part is that Most people complaining about the new UI are ALSO claiming that WP7.8 wont get new features aside from the new UI...

so my question to you is ... why upgrade to 7.8?

if all your getting is a UI you hate... *decline upgrade* :dry

and obviously if you hate it, you wont buy a WP8..... soooo why are yous still here? ( generalized)

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For anyone interested, I made a full size mockup of the new screen with the current gutter's size added so you can test it on your phone and see how it looks. Personally, I think everything looks a bit too small on the gutter version, especially the small tiles. But I'm looking at it on a 3.8" screen.

Yeah I agree with you. I find it a bit small too. Comparing the other "mockups" that have the WP8 Start screen things feel like they have more room to breath and really the black borders of the LCD sort of act as whitespace as well. I suppose things are different if you're using the light theme though.

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I like the aesthetic of having the gutter but also understand the desire to not waste screen space. What if they just moved the tiles on the new start screen a little bit to the left so that the gap from the left edge was the same distance as the tiles are from each other. Then on the right you still have the gutter and it's enough to maintain the visual effect but isn't so much as it feels like wasted space.
(don't mind the quality of the pic, I just slid it over and then screencapped to see how it would look)

Budule

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
so, if you do the 7.8 update and for whatever reason dont like it, can you do a "factory reset" on the phone and go back to your old start screen?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
so, if you do the 7.8 update and for whatever reason dont like it, can you do a "factory reset" on the phone and go back to your old start screen?
No. OS updates reflash your ROM. If the update process created a backup, you could restore from there. But there a limitations.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
For anyone interested, I made a full size mockup of the new screen with the current gutter's size added so you can test it on your phone and see how it looks. Personally, I think everything looks a bit too small on the gutter version, especially the small tiles. But I'm looking at it on a 3.8" screen.
Exactly. And you can expect some lower end phones to have 3.8" (or smaller) screens. So like it or not, the gutter has to go. I will miss it at first but understand the "why", and that's good enough for me.

Budule

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
The only advantage i see to the "gutter" is the little arrow for the app list.....which i assume you can replace with an app tile.......

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site

It does look small on my 710. However the full WP8 start screen looks gorgeous.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The only advantage i see to the "gutter" is the little arrow for the app list.....which i assume you can replace with an app tile.......
Honestly, in 19 months I have never used the little arrow on my Surround or L900. Well ok, I did tap it once just to see what would happen. Swiping is easier and more intuitive. I can't reach that button with my left thumb, so it becomes a two handed operation. I can swipe from anywhere.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
My point isn't you expressing your opinion, its the manner in which you're doing it. You can make your points, but when you seem like you're crying and whining it changes the responses you're going to get.
I'm not crying and whining, I'm expressing my opposing viewpoints. If you can't deal with them, ignore me. Stop labelling me as whiny and childish when you're the one chucking the insults around. No one has reasonably countered my points, instead the likes of you have continually shouted me down and gone all ad hominem. So thanks, but no thanks. I'm not going to back down to your attempts to brute force me into submission. You can't break me by insults - you win this on the merits of the argument. It's a pity you've catastrophically failed at this so far.

I'm a consumer who loves Metro. My time for an upgrade is approaching, and I'm questioning to what extent Microsoft is going to sacrifice beauty in order to gain more mass-market adoption. If my next device is a Windows Phone and you have it your way, I'm forced to use the home screen the way it is. I don't find the iOS home screen repulsive - just slightly dumb - and Android has customizability on its side. Who's to say Microsoft's future moves won't include shrinking all the text down and coming up with more information-dense but less beautiful layouts than panorama and pivot?

And not only that - the whole start screen issue brought to the surface yet again what I'd consider to be the fatal flaw of Windows Phone - not giving the user options. It's deciding what the user wants and forcing the user to go with it. This can be positive or negative; personally, I don't think there's any harm in allowing the user to personally compromise the company's vision through customizations. Pretty damn hard convincing consumers that Microsoft's way is the right way and they should buy in to the product, when Microsoft is the latecomer to the game and already not viewed in the same positive light as Apple / Google.

I'm also happen to have a month-old Lumia 800, which was released rather late in Australia. So I can see the situation in the same way a US owner of the 900 can. For the most part, a brand new WP8 device in half a year will most likely be running cutting edge apps and software for 18 months and probably longer, per Microsoft's announcement. But a WP7 device purchased in May gets a substitute software update six months on and from by indications, will miss out on the best apps that come out past that point.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your comment as I've reiterated and justified my stance many times already. Beating a dead horse doesn't make you any more correct. And by the nature of your comment, you negate any superior moral stance you might want to take on my attitude or anything similar. You're essentially admitting to being the black pot.

Exactly. And you can expect some lower end phones to have 3.8" (or smaller) screens. So like it or not, the gutter has to go. I will miss it at first but understand the "why", and that's good enough for me.
Doesn't negate it being an opt-in option, especially since newer devices are moving into the 4.5+ inch region.

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can only imagine that WP8 has the ability to scale icons, so if an app hasn't got a small icon defined, WP8 will shrink the medium icon.

As such, i can't think of a reason why a gutter cant be added as an option, then WP8 just does a slight shrink of all the icons again.

Although it'll be a pain for developers, as they'll either have to provide 6+ icons, or spend a while making sure a single icon shrinks nicely for all 6 icon resolutions.

I guess Microsoft need to weigh up the opinions of the couple of hundred people who have voted for this idea, against all the extra work for developers.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Although it'll be a pain for developers, as they'll either have to provide 6+ icons, or spend a while making sure a single icon shrinks nicely for all 6 icon resolutions.
Having both 1280x768 and 1280x720 supported indicated to me that Microsoft doesn't really care about this, or that scaling isn't such a big issue. WVGA is still a supported resolution forwards, so developers should make their tiles work on the substantially lower resolution anyway (not to mention current apps with medium tiles are already geared towards use at WVGA with a gutter). If Microsoft enabled the gutter option only for high-resolution WP8 devices, I'd be content - means there's a bright future ahead for me. Then again, we'll have to see how universal the 7.8 roll-out is. If devices are left at 7.5 (and subsequently stuck with the gutter), this could get even more messy.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of the smaller tiles those will be perfect for the shortcuts I want on my main screen but don't think need all the space they have (Phone, Marketplace, Maps etc) and the fact I can resize the calendar one or the picture one is also appealing.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
so adding a background image to the start screens and app list wont happen???? How could it if you add so many tiles to the start screen?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I love the new layout... Finally getting rid of the dead space gutter... Love the multi size tiles... Exactly what I was hoping for

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

habaryu

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried swiping right on the start screen of the new emulator of WP8, to see if there's something there? I was hoping for a screen for all the notifications. I understand the SDK is not a final version but still.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Lucky for all of you who don't like the new start screen, you can just make all the tiles medium sice and there: no new start screen. :cool:

Of course the gap in the right side will still be missing but I don't see how that alone can upset people so badly. It's an empty bar in the side, no use for it really...

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Agree completely! Can't believe empty space has garnered such strong reaction.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster